Long journey from Talkeneeta to Whittier

shofer

Looks like we are going to have an eight hour ride per coach on Embarkation Day and won't arrive to the ship until 4:30.

My question is this: Does the bus stop for lunch on the way? Or do we just arrive at the ship ready for dinner?

Thanks,

Sue

We did this last month. You eat breakfast @ the lodge and head for train about 1030. Takes almost an hr to get to train and if u want any food before getting onto ship (7:30-ish) u eat on train. We had nice sandwhiches and several beers. I hope if there is only 2 of you you get decent table mates. We got stuck with a very old man and younger second wife (but also old!), and while I'm sure they were perfectly nice people, he was deaf as a post, neither drank @ all and the ride was like watching paint dry! Thankfully there were some people I had met @ the other two lodges close by and we could roam a little! Hit the bistro car--view better, cooler and the snacks r cheaper too! Crap dip stuff was great but spicey and hot.

From the McKinley Princess to Whittier, it's about a 4.5 hour drive, without tunnel time.

We drove from Cantwell to Anchorage on Saturday after driving the Denali Highway. There were a couple of construction spots but the delays were only 10-15 minutes each. The fall colors were very nice and haven't peaked yet.

We did this last month. You eat breakfast @ the lodge and head for train about 1030.

But the OP said they are taking a coach. BQ's and my answer would have been similar to yours if they said they were taking the train (since that takes longer than a bus/coach). I guess either the OP is mistaken or your answer is incorrect. Not sure which yet :)

From the McKinley Princess to Whittier, it's about a 4.5 hour drive, without tunnel time.

Where are you getting the "8 Hours" from?????

If you want the Arm views, you need passenger side seating.

According to the itinerary we received from Princess, it is 8 hours. I Googled the time and distance and it said 300 miles and 4.5 hours. I would rather we went direct than make several stops but we will be at their mercy.

Sue

Archived