Amsterdam v. Island Princess Help

Lrob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Critics:

I am at a loss as I have not cruised HAL or Princess in the past. Trip is Panama Canal full transit December 2013. Choice is Island Princess Full Suite or Hall Veranda Suite. Both 15 nights. However, HAL is almost 5K more total and I like the ports on Princess just a wee bit better (not a lot better, but am happy to skip PV, Mexico). I don't like the idea of MUTS, but can live with it. Why is there such a big difference in price for the higher catagory rooms?

I am at a complete loss. I want to save the money, but not at the expense of the experience (if there is a big difference in experience).

I have cruised Celebrity & Regent several times and really liked them both.

Husband and I are 44 and 50. Not dancers or night owls. Food is important to the extent that it is very good. Does not need to be foodie quality - tough to do for any cruise line.

Nice ship that is aging gracefully is also very important. I know these ships are close to the same age. We also like pools.

Thoughts? I will also post on HAL Board. Thanks for any help.

Lrob

View Public Profile

Find all posts by Lrob

Add Lrob to Your Contacts

The Island Princess is a great ship.

Great ship with great personnel.

Lower price.

Better ports.

Decision seems clear to me.

By the way, the Island two main pools, one covered pool and one outside.

The Lotus Pool

2516621470016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

The Lido Pool

2193829830016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

I've been on both ships. They're both nice and you'll have a good cruise on either. The Amsterdam is a smaller ship than the Island, with fewer passengers.

HAL is a lot quieter in the evening with fewer activities and entertainment. Food is subjective but in my experience, food and service is better on Princess than HAL... and Celebrity.

I'd book based on price and itinerary. :)

We just returned from a two week Alaska trip on the Amsterdam, and while we have not been on the Island we have been on several other Princess ships and I have to say emphatically I would choose any Princess ship over the Amsterdam. The food, service, activities, entertainment and general ambiance are all far superior on Princess. I found the Amsterdam dark and a bit clausterphobic compared to the bright open feeling of Princess. The lounges and pools are much better on Princess as well.

I am 48 and my husband is 50 and while we are also not party animals, we enjoy a decent level of activity and entertainment. If you want a ship where you can literally have it all to yourself by about 9:30 p.m. then the Amsterdam is for you because everyone seems to start to disappear at that hour. By 10 p.m., it's a ghost town! It's amazing to see all the breakfast orders out on the doors by 9 p.m. as you walk down the halls. :D

Honestly, we loved the itinerary in Alaska that the Amsterdam offered. Thank goodness it was port intensive though, as the ship itself was not really a fun destination for us. With Princess, the ship experience is always a big part of our enjoyment and it never disappoints. I don't think we will be cruising with HAL again any time soon unless it was a price or itinerary we absolutely could not pass up.

Save the money and book with Princess. You will not only save the extra dollars, you will in my opinion get a far superior experience.

Been on both, Illl say this...after 14 days on either this is how we felt:

Amsterdam: comfortable home away from home

Island Princess: a resort we didnt want to leave

that probably doesn't help your decision, both ships are great. We liked the ambiance of the Island better as well as the features, but the amsterdam was so 'dam' enjoyable and relaxing to come back to, we really felt a load off when we got back on board. When in the canal, the amsterdam is nice with fewer guests to compete with viewing area but if you are getting a balcony or minisuite,they are much easier to get on the island. Getting off and on the amsterdam is easier with fewer other guests. As others have said you need to entertain yourself more frequently on HAL, and it still bugs me that the buffet isnt open all day if you just want something to nibble on.

Prioritize whats important to you and make a decision from there

Happy that we Princess cruisers were able to influence you to give it a try. The Island is a lovely ship ...... not one of Princess' largest, but well laid out with good traffic flow patterns, as well as quiet areas to sit and chat and people watch.

We'll look forward to hearing your feelings about your Island experience after you get back!!!

Archived