Where to start- Alaska

Best of

We want to go to Alaska in 2005. There are so many options I do not know where to start. I know we want a cruise/tour package. How do you choose between northbound, southbound, inside passage ect. Also, How does anyone get good air fare if you have to book two one way tickets? (departing port and returning port) Is back to back cruise the way to go? Help get me started.

Thanks

I am not an expert at all so take it or leave it... we are going to alaska in sept 2004. We are doing a roundtrip. I had to use a TA to arrange things. I was so overloaded with information I didn't know where to start. This is a special trip (25th anniversary)that I didn't want to mess up because I tried to do it on my own. If you get sick the middle of the ship is best. I plan on getting the patch because I have a tendency to get car/boat sick. If you want to keep an eye on air travel costs & sales, you can get a good deal. I chose not to mess with it. My TA told me that I would get a better price if I didn't book thru the cruise line. Try to fly in the day before if possible, that will eliminate some stress. Southbound was recommended to me so when you travel you are getting warmer instead of cooler. Make sure you are on the correct side of the ship if you go north or south bound. That will be your view for the entire trip. Alaska..... balcony, balcony, balcony. Hope this helps a little.

I am arranging a family reunion cruise to Alaska in August 2005. I've heard the inside passage is wonderful, and because we have relatives in Vancouver we are opting for that one, so no need for them to fly anywhere. I called a TA and she said too early to plan anything! I was also told that we'd be better off booking flights ourselves rather than through the TA. Good luck with your planning.

5/4/03 Carnival Elation

7/31/05 Zaandam or Radiance of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;7;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Alaska is wonderful. I disagree with your TA...it's not too soon to start the planning for a major trip. I booked both of my Alaskan cruises over a year in advance.

If you're doing a round trip from one port, let's say Vancouver, it may be cheaper to book your own airfare. Sometimes you can get better fares from the cruise line if, for instance, you're leaving from Vancouver but flying home from Anchorage.

There are no right or wrong ways to do Alaska. Depends on your budget, preferences, etc. Go to the ports of call board and click on "Alaska". Lots of good info there.

Roz

Best of.....

I start with itineraries. Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice...so I go right to them...and check my calendar with what they offer.

Last summer when we went to Alaska...the airfare was round trip...out of Vancouver. This summer...it is two one-way tickets (Anchorage and Vancouver) and the separate ticket purchases were about the same as roundtrip...and at this I was surprised. Just plan to be checking the airfares for several months. You will get a good price.

The excursions in Alaska are rather pricey...so consider that if you do a budget.

One year out...for planning a cruise is not too early! The early birds get their choice of cabins!! icon_wink.gif

I recommend doing the land portion of your trip first...then boarding the cruise. Do the low (land portion) and then the peak (cruise). The excitement will build ...as your vacation proceeds. Otherwise, ... well, you get my picture.

Have fun planning!! icon_biggrin.gif

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

Archived