Our Carnival Legend Pictorial Review--August 12-19, 2012

dz63

Wow! That is really strange. I just checked those posts and sure enough the photos are not showing up--instead there is a message saying that these photo's have been moved or deleted. What is even more strange is that I have not moved or deleted any of those photos! I don't know if this is some glitch coming from the Photobucket account or not. If the pictures do not resume tomorrow I will repost those 17 posts with the photos again. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

No problem! That is very strange! I figured a file got moved or deleted but if not then hmmmmm :confused: Hopefully you can figure out what happened. I will recheck tomorrow as well.

Edited by ginak82

I have no idea why all the photo's from our day in Roatan are no longer showing up, especially since I have not moved or deleted any of the files. I have checked the IMG code in my Photobucket and they are identical to the links I had recorded on my word document. So, the only way to remedy this problem is by recopying the photo links and submitting this part of the review all over again. The photos seem to be appearing. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that these photo's will not end up disappearing again. (Don't you just love modern technology!:rolleyes:)

So here is our day in Roatan, with photos...again!

Day 5--Roatan

IMG_4761b.jpg

On Thursday, we arrived with sunny skies on the island of Roatan, some 35 miles off the coast of Honduras.

Upon exiting the ship, we were greeted by the tropical island sound of a xylophone serenade.

roatenmusicians.png

Today we had a freestyle tour booked with Rony’s Tours. Our plan for today was to go ziplining on the Pirates of Caribbean Extreme, Extreme Zipline, visit the monkeys at the monkey stop, stop for lunch at Rony’s mothers restaurant and then head to the Mayan Princess for some beach time. We knew we had a full day of activity ahead of us, so we quickly made our way through the Carnival village.

IMG_4764.jpg

Upon exiting the Carnival Village, we made the trek up the large hill

IMG_4766.jpg

and then went down the other side.

IMG_4770.jpg

It took us between 10-15 minutes to get from the ship to the bottom of the hill. All independent tour operators congregate at the bottom of this hill. We arrived at the bottom of the hill around 8:30 and found Rony’s Tours very easily.

IMG_4772.jpg

We met our tour guide Tia (Rony's mother) and our driver for the day was Pedro. Although Tia could speak English very well, Pedro could only speak Spanish. (You can see Tia and Pedro in the photo above). Once in the van, Tia informed us that we would not be able to have lunch at her restaurant because she closes it down during low season (summer months). Although we understand the expense of keeping her restaurant opened during this time, we would have appreciated Rony informing us about this when we made our booking. This was one of our three disappointments with Rony’s Tours.

Enroute to the zipline, we stopped at French Harbour. We had to be careful where we stepped, as there were dog droppings everywhere. I do not really know what the significance of this harbor was, but overall we did not think there was much to see here.

IMG_0120.jpg

Edited by dz63

Our next stop was the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme, Extreme zipline. This zipline zips the rider from mountain top to mountain top. Although the Pirates Extreme, Extreme zipline only has 8 zips, it is known as having the highest (328) and longest lines (1,980 feet) in all the Americans!

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Besides seeing a few monkeys, we did not see any other visitors there. We paid for the excursion and were quickly harnessed up.

IMG_0124.jpg

Next we climbed aboard an open-air safari type truck with our guides Dwayne and Iron. We drove a short distance to a mountain top.

IMG_0128.jpg

It appeared as if we were on the highest point in the middle of the island, as from this vantage point, we could see the ocean on both sides of us.

IMG_4787.jpg

The open-air safari truck leaves the mountain top.

IMG_4785.jpg

This way to the first line.

IMG_0134.jpg

Ready to zip!

IMG_4789.jpg

The boys enjoyed hanging upside down while zipping and it was almost like a roller coaster ride when the guides would pull up and down on the lines creating a nice bouncy ride for us! Lots of fun!

IMG_0139.jpg

Click on the photo to see my youngest DS bounce his way to the end!

th_MVI_0160.jpg

Oops. . .DS didn’t quite make it to the end so Dwayne reals him in.

IMG_4809.jpg

As we zipped from line to line we slowly made our descent down. The whole time there, we did not see anyone else. It appeared as if we had the whole zipline to ourselves!

The last line.

IMG_0173.jpg

We completed all 8 lines in under one hour. We had a great time and although this zipline did not fly as fast as the zipline in St. Kitts, we still had a lot of fun.

Edited by dz63

Our next stop was an overlook which offered us a scenic view of Coxen Hole and surrounding area. We could also see Honduras, 35 miles away. We spent 10-15 minutes here.

The view from the overlook.

Roatenoverlook1.png

There were local venders selling their crafts here and we were able to pick up a few unique souvenirs.

Picture.png

From the overlook Pedro drove us over to the Monkey Stop, which was also like a miniature zoo.

Entrance to the Monkey Stop.

IMG_4887.jpg

Admission into the Monkey Stop was $8/person and included the services of a local guide who took us through this zoo. On the way to the monkey cage, we passed cages which housed spider monkeys, a Tamandua, some “squirrel”-like animal and toucans.

Spider Monkey.

IMG_0181.jpg

Tamandua (cross between a raccoon and an anteater).

tamandua.png

These two little critters really wanted to get out!

IMG_0184.jpg

Toucan.

IMG_4882.jpg

The most exciting part was going into a cage with two cute, little Capuchin monkeys. Anyone who watched “The Night of the Museum” or is familiar with the antics of Jack the monkey from “Pirates of the Caribbean”, will understand what these inquisitive little critters with their agile fingers are capable of doing. We were instructed to leave our bags outside the caged area—unless we were ok with these monkeys opening everything up and getting into our things!

This curious little guy really wanted to help me take photos!

Untitled.jpg

We enjoyed having those curious little critters jump and crawl around on us.

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

After our monkey and bird encounter, we saw…

…a Lemur. This animal made unusual whistling/squeaking noises.

IMG_4883.jpg

Click on the picture below to hear and see the Lemur.

th_MVI_0224.jpg

This Lemur had such a cute little face, but boy where we surprised by the size of its fangs!

Island Rabbits.

IMG_4884.jpg

Deer.

IMG_4885.jpg

After this stop we were supposed to have at least 2 hours to enjoy West Bay Beach at the Mayan Princess. By the time Pedro got us there, we realized we would only be able to spend 45 minutes here before it would be time to head back. Since the resort charges a $10 fee per person, we decided it wasn't worth the money for our family to spend such a short time at this beach. We asked Tia to take us back to the port so we could at least enjoy some time on Carnival's private beach in Mahogany Bay (which is right next to where the cruise ship docks). Not being able to experience West Bay Beach at the Mayan Princess, was our second disappointment with Rony’ Tours. Before I booked with Rony, I specifically told him that we wanted to be back at the port by 1:30 (because I wanted to have some time to check out Mahogany Bay). Realizing we have a limited time in port, I asked if we would have enough time to do the zipline, monkey stop, lunch and beach. He responded back saying, “yes we would.” When I asked him how much time we would get at the beach if we do all those stops, he informed me “2 hours.” Considering we skipped the lunch stop, spent a little under 1 hour ziplining and the monkey stop was no more than 20 minutes, how come we did not have enough time to spend 2 hours at the Mayan Princess as Rony assured us we would? We guess our driver Pedro may have had something to do with this. You see, Pedro drove the van as slow as a turtle. I am sure we could have walked faster than he drove. DH sat in the front seat and noticed Pedro drove only 20 miles per hour the entire day. No wonder cars were continually honking and passing us by! It is one thing to be cautious, but this was a little extreme. Our ride in the open-air safari truck at the Pirates zipline went faster than that! We believe Pedro's extra slow driving made the travel time from getting from one spot to the next much longer than it should have taken. As a result, this ended up cutting out our beach time at the Mayan Princess. This was our third disappointment with Rony’s Tours.

We have read many glowing reviews about Rony’s Tours. So many people have expressed how their day with Rony was the highlight of their entire cruise. Although Tia was very sweet, pleasant and informative, I cannot say that our experience with this tour company was the highlight of our cruise. Again, I am sure if we had Rony himself, our experience would have been completely different (now where did I say that before?)

Lesson learned: if you hear great reviews about a tour operator, specifically request that person.

Edited by dz63

After this stop we were supposed to have at least 2 hours to enjoy West Bay Beach at the Mayan Princess. By the time Pedro got us there, we realized we would only be able to spend 45 minutes here before it would be time to head back. Since the resort charges a $10 fee per person, we decided it wasn't worth the money for our family to spend such a short time at this beach. We asked Tia to take us back to the port so we could at least enjoy some time on Carnival's private beach in Mahogany Bay (which is right next to where the cruise ship docks). Not being able to experience West Bay Beach at the Mayan Princess, was our second disappointment with Rony’ Tours. Before I booked with Rony, I specifically told him that we wanted to be back at the port by 1:30 (because I wanted to have some time to check out Mahogany Bay). Realizing we have a limited time in port, I asked if we would have enough time to do the zipline, monkey stop, lunch and beach. He responded back saying, “yes we would.” When I asked him how much time we would get at the beach if we do all those stops, he informed me “2 hours.” Considering we skipped the lunch stop, spent a little under 1 hour ziplining and the monkey stop was no more than 20 minutes, how come we did not have enough time to spend 2 hours at the Mayan Princess as Rony assured us we would? We guess our driver Pedro may have had something to do with this. You see, Pedro drove the van as slow as a turtle. I am sure we could have walked faster than he drove. DH sat in the front seat and noticed Pedro drove only 20 miles per hour the entire day. No wonder cars were continually honking and passing us by! It is one thing to be cautious, but this was a little extreme. Our ride in the open-air safari truck at the Pirates zipline went faster than that! We believe Pedro's extra slow driving made the travel time from getting from one spot to the next much longer than it should have taken. As a result, this ended up cutting out our beach time at the Mayan Princess. This was our third disappointment with Rony’s Tours.

We have read many glowing reviews about Rony’s Tours. So many people have expressed how their day with Rony was the highlight of their entire cruise. Although Tia was very sweet, pleasant and informative, I cannot say that our experience with this tour company was the highlight of our cruise. Again, I am sure if we had Rony himself, our experience would have been completely different (now where did I say that before?)

Lesson learned: if you hear great reviews about a tour operator, specifically request that person.

We arrived at Mahogany Bay shortly after 1:00. This allowed us to spend almost 1 1/4 hours on Mahogany Beach--a beautiful, man-made, tropical, palm lined, white sand beach--before boarding the ship at 2:30 for the Legend’s early 3:00 departure time.

From the pier, you can ride the chairlifts (Magical Flying Chairs) to the beach for $12/person, or walk it in about 10 minutes. We were dropped off near the beach, so it was a short 5 minute walk for us.

IMG_0234.jpg

Welcome to Mahogany Bay Beach. Doesn’t the Carnival Legend look Grande?

IMG_0235.jpg

The beach is stunning—truly a tropical paradise!

IMG_0237.jpg

There are clam shells which can be rented for a fee...

IMG_0239.jpg

or enjoy the tropical surroundings in the shade of a palm or almond tree.

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Enjoying the water. Can you see the shipwreck in the background?

DSCF0241.jpg

DH and I and the Carnival Legend.

DSCF0247.jpg

All too soon, it was time to head back to the Legend.

IMG_0245.jpg

(FYI it was on the other side of this sign where we were dropped off by Rony’s Tours—no need to walk back up and down the hill again!. It was about another 5-6 minute walk from this point back to the ship).

Some funny shots.

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

At 2:30 the ship blew its horn—time for everyone to come onboard.

IMG_0251.jpg

The long line to get back on.

IMG_0253.jpg

There is a second shipwreck located on the starboard side of the Legend. According to Tia, fire broke out onboard this ship from Cuba. Fortunately, many of those onboard where able to make it safely ashore by holding on to floating pieces of the ship’s cargo—lumber!

IMG_0255.jpg

Some views of Mahogany Bay from sail away.

Mahogany Bay Beach.

IMG_0259.jpg

Carnival Village.

IMG_0260.jpg

Upon our departure, it was interesting to see people on shore bustling about and cleaning up the beach and terminal area. It was somewhat sad to see this entire beach and village area completely close down, not to reopen until the next ship comes in the following week.

After eating too much for lunch again (that is easy to do on a cruise ship), we hung out by the pool.

Guarding the pools on the Legend are large bronze statues.

Here you can see the armored knight who guards the Avalon Pool.

avalonpool.png

The Camelot Pool facing forward is also guarded by a bronze knight.

IMG_0266.jpg

More to come!

On most nights there was a piano sing along in Billie’s Piano Bar with Jordan. We noticed that every time we walked by, this Piano Bar seemed fairly empty.

Billie's Piano Bar

IMG_0516.jpg

Billie’s Piano Bar plays tribute to Billie Holiday and is located between the Fun Shops and the Chapel on the Atlantic Deck (Deck 3).

At the entrance to Billie’s Piano Bar is a double neo-classical staircase (complete with urns and all). This staircase descends down to Deck 2.

IMG_0514.jpg

Beneath this grand staircase is a pool area—pretty neat!

IMG_0360.jpg

Across this staircase on Deck 2 is another lounge area. Coming from down the hall, we could hear the sound of beautiful piano music floating through the air. But when we got there, we were very surprised to see, there was no one playing on this piano. This piano played music all by itself!

Believe it or not!

playingpiano.png

Edited by dz63

Tonight was the second Cruise Elegant Night in the MDR. Again we dressed up in our fancy attire and prepared for another great meal. (Little did I know, my DH had a surprise planned!)

Our starters:

Penne siciliana.

IMG_0272.jpg

Cream of garden fresh broccoli soup.

IMG_0271.jpg

Escargots.

IMG_0273.jpg

My DS’s all tried a escargots. For someone who is very fussy when it comes to food, my youngest DS was very brave and tried one. Do I need to mention what he thought of it?

IMG_0274.jpg

Dinner that night was the same order from everyone:

Chateaubriand with sauce béarnaise.

IMG_0275.jpg

Then after our dinner, the waiters sang and danced.

IMG_0280.jpg

Instead of Slavisha bringing us the dessert menu, be brought over a heart-shaped Happy Anniversary chocolate fudge cake. Then he and his assistant (singing in their off-key voices with accents), serenaded us with "Happy Anniversary!" What a memorable moment that was! This was my DH’s big surprise for me in celebration of our 25th anniversary.

IMG_0293.jpg

Click on this picture to hear Slavisha and his helper sing to us.

th_happyanniversaryvideo.jpg

My older DS’s. I think my boys look so handsome!

IMG_0286.jpg

Edited by dz63

After enjoying that yummy chocolate fudge cake, Slavisha brought us the dessert menu. Although we were already pretty full, my DH and DS’s still ate a warm chocolate melting cake.

I ate something not quite so filling—like the lime sherbet.

IMG_0296.jpg

Our stateroom made up for the night.

IMG_0298.jpg

Tonight we were greeted by a little Eskimo friend.

IMG_0297.jpg

The boys cabin turned down for the night.

IMG_0299.jpg

Dessert included warm chocolate melting cake and...

...caramelized apples on puff pastry

IMG_4591.jpg

Every evening (starting between 4:30-5:00 until 10:30), photographers are set up on both sides of the Atrium Lobby and on the Atlantic Deck (between the photo gallery and Odyssey Lounge) to take your picture. There are numerous background settings you can choose from or you can get your photo taken on the staircase. Of course, we never miss an opportunity to get photos taken when we are all dressed up—this is about the only time I can get my DS’s to dress up like this!

On the staircase in the Legend Atrium.

Image0050.jpg

That night, we found a towel stingray on our bed.

IMG_0073.jpg

(This would have been a good one for Grand Cayman!)

And so a relaxing sea day aboard the Carnival Legend comes to an end. Tomorrow is our first port stop.

Coming up—Cozumel and Paradise Beach!

That is a great family photo -especially like the color contrasts. Did the DS & DH rent tuxes?

when we went cave tubing 2 yrs ago we had a private excursion that was great and we cose them because they left from a closer area with shorter walk. That was great plus they helped carry my tube at times, but the worst part was the feet/armpit hooking up because they put me as head person and my husband behind me and a whole bunch ofother people. He was fussing at me because i couldn't keep his foot from slipping but dang, i probably had 500lbs of people behind me. Also it was difficult in the cave to look straight with the helmet slippi g etc. We free floated afterwards which was great. The buffet lunch was awesome. I did get jealous when I saw the people with the headrest tubes! And i didn't know they hooked together! Definately worth extra money! Next time in Belize we will use them.
What type of camera did you use tubing? I am glad you posted about the company with headrests. I too have been disappointed when reserve a private tour and then a "hired guide" is used and not owner you thought you would have.