Taxes?

wdwfamily

Hi All,

We booked an Early Saver rate a few months ago for a cruise next April. Today when I went on to check the price I noticed the tax rate is considerably less than what we paid even though the base rate is more. I have talked to Carnival and their explanation is that "tax rates fluctuate" and that the rate we were charged is the rate it was 2 months ago. It makes absolutely no sense. Any one ever experience the same thing?

We were charged $1008.08 in taxes but online the taxes now come up as $445.32.

Hi All,

We booked an Early Saver rate a few months ago for a cruise next April. Today when I went on to check the price I noticed the tax rate is considerably less than what we paid even though the base rate is more. I have talked to Carnival and their explanation is that "tax rates fluctuate" and that the rate we were charged is the rate it was 2 months ago. It makes absolutely no sense. Any one ever experience the same thing?

I believe it's the port taxes. The flux is normal.

Depending on the itinerary, the 8 day Splendor New York > Caribbean sailing's NCF Port Charges are about $169 per person and the typical Government fees and taxes run between $108 to $116 per person.

If you have 4 people sailing $1008 is about right.

Taxes do fluctuate and any price adjustment on ES takes both into account.

It is possible for your cruise rate to go down and taxes to go up more. You do need to look at both when asking for a rate adjustment.

It is not unusual for cruisers to see a bizarre OBC on the Sail and Sign account which is often related to a slight decrease in taxes. I suppose there is a possibility that you might see something on your S&S accounts once on the ship.

Taxes do fluctuate and any price adjustment on ES takes both into account.

It is possible for your cruise rate to go down and taxes to go up more. You do need to look at both when asking for a rate adjustment.

It is not unusual for cruisers to see a bizarre OBC on the Sail and Sign account which is often related to a slight decrease in taxes. I suppose there is a possibility that you might see something on your S&S accounts once on the ship.

My wife and I each had a $6.XX (some odd amount, I don't remember the exact) credit on our S&S accounts when we cruised in August. I chalked it up to a port fee or tax decrease.

Thanks all. I know port taxes can fluctuate but I don't believe they would fluctuate by more than 50%.

The original $1008 is taxes for 6 people. The current tax on their site is $445.xx for six people. Crazy.

The last person I spoke with agreed that something doesn't seem right. She said she would call us back....hopefully she does!

Hi All,

I have always wondered about how can a tax rate fluctuate- that does not make sense. Look at it this way you make X amount of $$$$ and Federal and state taxes are taken out every two weeks but the taxes taken out should not change as long as everything stays the same. So if a cruise costs a 1000.00 a tax is charged, two weeks later the tax should be the same on the 1000.00 dollars. If CCL says taxes fluctuate what drives that fluctuation?

I have always wondered about how can a tax rate fluctuate- that does not make sense. Look at it this way you make X amount of $$$$ and Federal and state taxes are taken out every two weeks but the taxes taken out should not change as long as everything stays the same. So if a cruise costs a 1000.00 a tax is charged, two weeks later the tax should be the same on the 1000.00 dollars. If CCL says taxes fluctuate what drives that fluctuation?

foreign governments.

But you are using USA taxes and such. The cruise lines are charged taxes and fees from individual foreign governments.

The "Govt Fees and Taxes" that are added on to all cruisefares aren't a "percentage" tax like a 6% sales tax - they are various charges, usually "per passenger charges", that are charged to Carnival and which Carnival passes on to cruisers.

For typical cruises they mighrt be in the range $70 to $100 per person - IMO a change of $10 or $20 would be high. the numbers you'ere describing don't seem reasonable.

Also......If you do not change your booking in anyway then the Policy is that you would ultimately pay the original amount in effect when you booked; if you change your booking in any way (including a Early Saver price match adjustment) then you've changed the booking and are subject to paying any current increase in the taxes when you make the change and/or receive a ES price adjustment. Generally, they credit you at/near sailaway with any decrease.

Do you care to share the cruise ship (Splendor!)/date( )?

ken

Thanks all. I know port taxes can fluctuate but I don't believe they would fluctuate by more than 50%.

The original $1008 is taxes for 6 people. The current tax on their site is $445.xx for six people. Crazy.

The last person I spoke with agreed that something doesn't seem right. She said she would call us back....hopefully she does!

I don't know that they fluctuate wildly - I do know that Carnival sometimes does a poor job of estimating what they will be. I think they are based on expected number of passengers, not actual passengers.

If you booked through a TA, I am guessing that the TA has shown a breakdown on your invoice which separates out the actual cruise price, then shows a total of taxes and fees which includes government taxes and what used to be called port taxes and fees. Carnival shows them differently.

Carnival shows a total for the cruise which includes the "port taxes and fees" and then on a separate line the government taxes. If you look at your invoice from the TA, it might show something similar to how mine is shown on my invoice.

An example

Cruise Price From TA Cruise Price From Carnival website

Pass 1&2-----$1080.00 ------------------------------------- $1398.00

Taxes --------$ 479.80-------------------------------------- $ 161.80

Total--------- $1559.80-------------------------------------- $1559.80

As you can see, the totals are the same, just broken down differently. Most TA's break them down this way as the $479.80 in my case is non-commissionable and that way they know what they are making per cruise.

I hope that helps you understand why you see a huge difference in taxes. I know they do fluctuate but not by the amount you were showing. Enjoy your cruise.

That figure likely includes something else... pre-paid tips perhaps? Or travel insurance purchased thru Carnival? It is confusing when they lump other charges in with that amount.

My wife and I each had a $6.XX (some odd amount, I don't remember the exact) credit on our S&S accounts when we cruised in August. I chalked it up to a port fee or tax decrease.

We had the same thing last January. A credit of $7.63 each. I assumed it was for reduced taxes.

Archived