Live from the Poesia.

papcx

We will be on the Poseia Feb 2, for the Irish music cruise. I was wondering if you would know if there is Guinness stout and Balmers cider on board?

Thanks!

Hi FlaBubba.

I think Guinness was available, but only by the bottle, not on draught.

Cheers,

OK maybe I can help here. As you are cruising in the Caribbean, your coffee and juice at breakfast is free. Can't see you needing so many bottles of water either as iced (tap) water is free and readily available in the buffet, MDR and at bars, so really only for going ashore. You can get American coffee free of charge 24/7. Iced tae is also available free. So from what you listed it's only going to be the gelato, wine, soda and cocktails and thenodd bottle of water you'd have to pay for. You'd have to be drinking gallons to wrack up more than $1500 to make it worth your while. Not sur about the Prices in dollars but in euros a litre bottle of water is just over €2, glass of wine between €3-4, bootles of wine from €18 upwards, cocktails around €7, can't remember about the gelato but think it was in the region of €2-5 depending on size and whether you had fruit and cream etc or not.

If you are going to drink as a family 12 cocktails or sodas or 14 waters then just buy the onboard packages that give you 2 free. You can all share them. You buy them at any bar and can buy more booklets of the vouchers during your cruise if you finish one. If you think you'll get through 7 bottles order a wine package in advance or onboard (some include some free bottles of water).

Thank you. I came to the same conclusion. I am glad that they have the vouchers still. I will get a soda one for my DS, a cocktail one for me and a beer one for my DH if they have it. I think I read that you can get carafe's of wine but I may buy a bottle and have them hold for the next night in the MDR. I usually only have 1-2 glasses of wine at dinner.

Thanks again. :)

i have loved reading your blog. Poesia will be doing two theme cruises in March, Moodies Cruise (Moody Blues) and Cruise to theEdge (Yes). There will be a lot of other acts also. I am planning on going on the Yes cruise. A local group Ive known for years is also on the lineup. I learned a lot reading your posts. You have a wonderful writing style. Now I have to do the math to see what drink package to get. I think we will be doing quite a bit of imbibing. No usual cruise acts. All the entertainment will be music from the theme. CTTE is a Prog theme, Yes, UK, Saga, Zebra, Carl Palmer, etc. Should be fun. Like minded old farts pretending to be 20 again. Four stages plus the lounges for all day, all night music. Cant wait. I usually hate cruises but this has ame excited. I had read a lot of mixed reviews on Posia. Your trip report though gives lots os insight on what to expect.

Thanks again.

i have loved reading your blog. Poesia will be doing two theme cruises in March, Moodies Cruise (Moody Blues) and Cruise to theEdge (Yes). There will be a lot of other acts also. I am planning on going on the Yes cruise. A local group Ive known for years is also on the lineup. I learned a lot reading your posts. You have a wonderful writing style. Now I have to do the math to see what drink package to get. I think we will be doing quite a bit of imbibing. No usual cruise acts. All the entertainment will be music from the theme. CTTE is a Prog theme, Yes, UK, Saga, Zebra, Carl Palmer, etc. Should be fun. Like minded old farts pretending to be 20 again. Four stages plus the lounges for all day, all night music. Cant wait. I usually hate cruises but this has ame excited. I had read a lot of mixed reviews on Posia. Your trip report though gives lots os insight on what to expect.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your kind words. I really enjoyed posting my blog and I can't believe it's still going almost 3 weeks after getting home!

We'd booked this cruise, if I'm honest a little quickly as it was a great price, and after a little research I was a little bit concerned by some of the reviews. I then thought doing a "live" blog would be a good idea as I could give my opinions/emotions as it happened.

Overall our cruise was superb! Yes, a couple of things happened that would have been better if they hadn't, but by not dwelling on them we were able to enjoy the next excellent occurrence when it came along, and there were many.

If people have benefited from my writing then that's all for the better.

p.s. I wonder were Zebra will play their sets?

Regards,

Hmmmm, Zebra in the zebra lounge no doubt. They are actually the group that I am friends with. Will be seeing them this weekend. Will have to ask the tour organizer for the drink package info. It may not be available yet though. Seems a ship full of old timer rock enthusiasts will keep the bartenders busy. :cool:

Thank you for your kind words. I really enjoyed posting my blog and I can't believe it's still going almost 3 weeks after getting home!

I thank you also for the live blog. I think I will take your idea but onto a different level. I cannot post live but will make daily journal of each day's events and post all when I return. I can post it as a review.

Thanks again.

Im flying from Australia for the Cruise To The Edge. Can't Wait.:D

Edited by sleeptalker

• 2 weeks later...
Can you tell me how many formal nights you had on the Poesia?

And how formal was it? And how was the other nights???

Trying to figure out what to bring on our New Years cruise in 56 days!!!;)

If it's a 7 night cruise there will be 2 formal nights. Most will probably dress up for the New Years Eve one, as for the other small percentage 10-20% really formal, same again for completely ignore the dress code recommendation and everyone else somewhere in between..

If it's a 7 night cruise there will be 2 formal nights. Most will probably dress up for the New Years Eve one, as for the other small percentage 10-20% really formal, same again for completely ignore the dress code recommendation and everyone else somewhere in between..

AmoMondo, I know that you have cruised MSC a lot. Mostly the MED I think. How is MSC dress code for daytime and non-formal nights. Can nice jeans be worn during daytime on ship and in MDR? What about T-shirts? Do they need to be plain or can they have logos/pictures. Or is it better to get some nice collared golf type shirts?

Thanks. So excited. Less than 30 days. Need to get away from Sandy's devastation her on Long Island, NY. My family and friends made out ok. But it is the gas shortage that is making for problems. But we NYers are resilient. Soon everything will be back to normal.

AmoMondo, I know that you have cruised MSC a lot. Mostly the MED I think. How is MSC dress code for daytime and non-formal nights. Can nice jeans be worn during daytime on ship and in MDR? What about T-shirts? Do they need to be plain or can they have logos/pictures. Or is it better to get some nice collared golf type shirts?

Thanks. So excited. Less than 30 days. Need to get away from Sandy's devastation her on Long Island, NY. My family and friends made out ok. But it is the gas shortage that is making for problems. But we NYers are resilient. Soon everything will be back to normal.

I've done a lot of different itineraries in almost all regions they sail and dress code is pretty similar regardless of where you are. You can wear pretty much anything during the day. You can wear jeans and tshirts on casual evenings and a some do, although personally I wouldn't but I like to dress for dinner. Less acceptable on informal evenings to be in jeans etc.

Tshirts can really be any type during the day. Polo (collared golf shirts) better for dinner, unless you go to the buffet, in which case almost anything goes.

I've done a lot of different itineraries in almost all regions they sail and dress code is pretty similar regardless of where you are. You can wear pretty much anything during the day. You can wear jeans and tshirts on casual evenings and a some do, although personally I wouldn't but I like to dress for dinner. Less acceptable on informal evenings to be in jeans etc.

Tshirts can really be any type during the day. Polo (collared golf shirts) better for dinner, unless you go to the buffet, in which case almost anything goes.

Thanks, It helps a lot with packing. I will get collared shirts only for day and button down dress for dinner. They have shorts for day and khaki pants for evening. I am going to avoid jeans however everyone is wearing it for plane travel with sneakers.

Are cargo style shorts for day ok in MDR and what about short sleeve dress shirts for evening?

No suits for formal night but was going to bring a jacket for DH and DS for formal nights with ties to go with dress shirts and dress pants.

Sound good? I really would hate for them to see all jeans. My men would KILL me....

Honestly if they like their jeans, there is no reason they can't have them, just not on the formal nights - although there will be a few that might. Only downside to having jeans, is that theybare not that comfortable (just my opinion) when it's really hot.

Shorts are ok anywhere onboard during the day, doesn't really matter what types they are.

Dress shirts and pants fine for the formal nights. Ties won't take up much room, but not all men wear them, some prefer open necked dress shirts. As for jackets some do and some don't. Women tend to dress up more than the men do (but isn't that often the case?).

Just go with the clothes that are most flexible for you and your family and what you like to wear and works with any baggage allowances you have with your airline.

Honestly if they like their jeans, there is no reason they can't have them, just not on the formal nights - although there will be a few that might. Only downside to having jeans, is that theybare not that comfortable (just my opinion) when it's really hot.

Shorts are ok anywhere onboard during the day, doesn't really matter what types they are.

Dress shirts and pants fine for the formal nights. Ties won't take up much room, but not all men wear them, some prefer open necked dress shirts. As for jackets some do and some don't. Women tend to dress up more than the men do (but isn't that often the case?).

Just go with the clothes that are most flexible for you and your family and what you like to wear and works with any baggage allowances you have with your airline.

Thanks, this info really helps. Less packing room for khaki/cargo pants than jeans.

Worried about the T-**** issue but that can be remedied.

Is the main dining room open at lunch time? Are you allowed to wear shorts at lunch? Also do they ever do afternoon tea?

MDR is open for breakfast and lunch on an open seating basis. Shorts can be worn at lunch although probably better at the buffet if they're not tailored smarter shorts.

They do have afternoon tea but not like were accustomed to in the UK and it's almost always in the buffet now. They have small sandwiches, filled rolls and a few pastries, cookies and desserts. Really nothing startlingly.I miss them doing thenwaiter served teas and coffees on a lounge like they used to but seems a lot prefer the speed and convenience of a buffet service.

MDR is open for breakfast and lunch on an open seating basis. Shorts can be worn at lunch although probably better at the buffet if they're not tailored smarter shorts.

They do have afternoon tea but not like were accustomed to in the UK and it's almost always in the buffet now. They have small sandwiches, filled rolls and a few pastries, cookies and desserts. Really nothing startlingly.I miss them doing thenwaiter served teas and coffees on a lounge like they used to but seems a lot prefer the speed and convenience of a buffet service.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait until our cruise so as much information about the Poesia as possible is my main mission!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally home from our Transatlantic on the Poesia, we decided to buy the Aligressimo drinks package which had been reduced from 23 Euro a day to 20 Euro a day.

The cost we worked out was a total of 300 Euro each for the trip which we made good use of including the ice cream of both kinds and the fresh Orange, towards the end of the second week went down to the accounting desk and asked for a print out of our bill to that day. Having checked it the Drinks package showed a figure of 690 Euro! when we went back to ask why there was a difference of 90 Euro we were given a print out that showed that the 15% Gratuity is still added to these packages.

I am sure i read somewhere that someone said that you save the 15% by buying the package which is clearly not true.... that said we enjoyed it and it will be interesting to see when the bills are totaled up if we out drank the 20 Euro a day.

Finally home from our Transatlantic on the Poesia, we decided to buy the Aligressimo drinks package which had been reduced from 23 Euro a day to 20 Euro a day.

The cost we worked out was a total of 300 Euro each for the trip which we made good use of including the ice cream of both kinds and the fresh Orange, towards the end of the second week went down to the accounting desk and asked for a print out of our bill to that day. Having checked it the Drinks package showed a figure of 690 Euro! when we went back to ask why there was a difference of 90 Euro we were given a print out that showed that the 15% Gratuity is still added to these packages.

I am sure i read somewhere that someone said that you save the 15% by buying the package which is clearly not true.... that said we enjoyed it and it will be interesting to see when the bills are totaled up if we out drank the 20 Euro a day.

I believe I read on one of the posts that if you buy the Allegrissimo package onboard you have to pay the 15% gratuity. I have already purchased the one for my April cruise. The MSC agent I dealt with said that saved me the gratuity since I was buying in advance.

Wanttocruisemore .... Leave it a few days onboard then go and get a print out and see if the figure stated is higher than what you were told if so ask why it is higher, it will be interesting to see if they do add the 15%.

There was one Major issue that stood out despite what has happened to Concordia the ship left Genova on the 11th November where they carried out a Muster drill informing passengers by public address, on the 12th having picked up passengers in Barcelona no announcements were made informing those passengers to attend a Muster drill that day because MSC had decided that it was enough to just print it on the daily paper expecting people to read it there and then! at least 100 passengers many who were 1st time cruisers did not attend and had to go the following day. No idea if other lines have adopted having the Emergancy lighting on continually but those on the Poesia were on night and day, the only ship we have been on where they take you to your assigned Lifeboat as part of the drill when it is held in a lounge or theatre.

Edited by sidari