Whats a proper tip for the steak house

pj woods

• 1 month later...
I realize this has been discussed ad nauseam, but this was the first time I've heard JH specifically suggest additional tipping in the steakhouse (he may have said so before, I just hadn't seen it).

[quote=John Heald's Facebook post October 24, 2012]Ok, let’s talk about the Steakhouse. I was asked a question the other day here on Facebook about gratuities and I thought I would post the answer here for all to see.. The $35 does include a gratuity all be it a minimal one. Think of this as the same as room service. It’s free however it is always nice to give a couple of dollars if the service comes promptly and with a smile…………as I hope it always does. On the bill you receive from the Steakhouse you will find a place for a gratuity to be added and if you have had exceptional service, which again I hope you always. So it is included but if you wish to give something extra………..it is appreciated.
[/quote]

[quote name='LHP']Diamond members need to note that the tip IS NOT included in the Diamond free Steakhouse letter.

Hubby and MIL used one of our Diamond free Steakhouse letters on the Conquest last week...and tipped 15% ....[/quote]

I called the Diamond Desk and was told that the tip IS included for the steak dinner, however, if you purchase drinks, the tip is NOT included for the drinks

[quote name='NileQueen']I called the Diamond Desk and was told that the tip IS included for the steak dinner, however, if you purchase drinks, the tip is NOT included for the drinks[/QUOTE]

As the poster above you quoted JH the tip is included but it is very small.I would assume its similar to a banquet maybe a $5 per person flat rate

Although I know that the tip is included, I always tip extra. Usually $20.00 for two people. It is a great meal and the service is fantastic. And it makes my beautiful wife very happy when she sees the cheesecake. The meal would be two or three times as much at a land based restaurant. So you still come out ahead. I don't cruise to pinch pennies. I like to leave the impression that Americans are kind and generous people. As for what others do in the steakhouse, I could care less. That is between you and your conscience.

[quote name='emelvee']I realize this has been discussed ad nauseam, but this was the first time I've heard JH specifically suggest additional tipping in the steakhouse (he may have said so before, I just hadn't seen it).[/QUOTE]

no it's not.

last time he addressed the topic, he first claimed the tip was not included at all. that page lit up like fireworks, with people posting links to him showing the tip in fact was included.

this was followed by his normal weekly corporate brand ambassador mea culpa, and then said a small amount was included.

yet will never say what amount was the tip (brings me back to the advent of supper clubs, when they stated "we don't charge for food. the $25 is a service charge).

and these questions usually surface from the lies some people are served on board, starting with, "no sir, the tip is not included in the surcharge."

all i do know is my mdr tips per person per day comes to $5.80. that's $1.93 a meal.

so if i think i'm getting twice the service up there (which i don't), is $4 good out of that $35?

and then when i read some leave an additional $10, is that service actually five times better than the service they get from their assigned service staff? i'd personally give it to them.

but hey, it's their money.

Archived