Can you see Cuba from the Legend?

CBCGirl

All things considered in today's world, it is really, to put it mildly, silly, that it is almost impossible for an American to travel there legally.

It is ridiculous, isn't it??? I'm American and my husband is Cuban, so we are heading there after our cruises for two months. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! His mom and sister are still there, so we can visit legally. :)

Yes you should see the mountains around the west end of Cuba.

As an aside, at night, you can see the sky glow from the lights

of Havana...from Key West.

Too bad the politics got in the way...it is a beautiful island.

A bunch of us always wanted to dive on some of those reefs.

Doubt that will happen soon. Geography of the island is amazing

from beaches to tall mountains...check it out.

Sad to see the cruise ships..at least from U.S. ports just circling

around it.....like I said, politics will keep U.S. ships out....too bad

many great stops and cruise lines would benefit from new interest

in Caribbean.

Have fun watching from a distance.

:cool:

Theres a england or spanish cruiseline doing cuba cruises leaving from cozumel i think.. I also read where if any cruise ship visits cuba they are not allowed at any american port or american waters for 6 months or longer ! A shame really

No it's not. Many can get an exemption based on their need and occupation. I have been to Cuba 2 times in the last few years.

There are daily flights from New York and Miami and maybe some other places to Havana. If you get the exemption, you can purchase tickets for these flights. American Airlines out of Miami is the one I used.

There are now flights from Tampa also. I am not sure why the poster thinks it is hard to get there. Our current President has allowed it to be opened up more.

There are now flights from Tampa also. I am not sure why the poster thinks it is hard to get there. Our current President has allowed it to be opened up more.

It's not as easy as you would think. They are no longer renewing many licenses to businesses that sold people to people visits from the United States because of politics. You need very specific reasonings, like visiting family or work related reasons to go legally. We can go anywhere else in the world, just not to Cuba. It's a shame and very unAmerican, in my opinion.

It's not as easy as you would think. They are no longer renewing many licenses to businesses that sold people to people visits from the United States because of politics. You need very specific reasonings, like visiting family or work related reasons to go legally. We can go anywhere else in the world, just not to Cuba. It's a shame and very unAmerican, in my opinion.

Those 90 miles from Miami just don't mean the same thing that they used to be. The whole Guantanamo base thing (not who is there, won't get ino that, the fact that we have it) is an odd cold war remainder.

Those 90 miles from Miami just don't mean the same thing that they used to be. The whole Guantanamo base thing (not who is there, won't get ino that, the fact that we have it) is an odd cold war remainder.

I have not heard that song, thank you! :D

Yes! You will be able to see Cuba from the Legend, and because of this you will be an expert in foreign policy Sarah.:cool:

As I read this tread I was thinking of creative, I can see Russia so I must know something comments and you beat me to it.

I am going to the Cayman Islands, maybe I can visit Mittins money, better yet I can be President if I open an account while I am there :)

LOL! We were on the Legend in August and we sailed so close to Cuba that I thought we were stopping to pick people up!:)

That was during the Tropical Storm and we were redirected to Port Canaveral so we had to sail between the Keys and Cuba. Seriously, we were really close, close enough to see structures on the shore without a binocular. I dont think that you will get that close, but you never know, we ARE still in Hurricane season!

I was on that cruise as well! It was quite a sight to see Cuba from the ship so close.

That's where we send the terrorists we're trying to rid the world of. And its never SILLY. If you don't know the reasoning behind it you maybe shouldn't comment. Even "mildly".

Odd; our US students can and do go to this island?

Odd; our US students can and do go to this island?

Cuba isn't a terrorist island. Guantanamo Bay is there, where the US currently has a military base holding middle east terrorists. Weird, I know.

The culture, the people, the history, the art...Cuba is a wonderful place.

hahahahahahaha :D :D :D OMG that is so funny

Yeah, I'm a pretty laid back and funny person, but I don't find any humor in that at all. Thousands upon thousands have died trying to escape to find a better life...it's not really something to make light of. You're blessed and fortunate to live and be where you are. These poor souls are getting by on a measely $20 a month, due to the dictatorship and the embargo. Not trying to bring politics on to a cruise board, I just really don't think that's funny at all.

With that being said...I hope you all have a wondeful cruise! :o To lighten it up a bit, I'm almost down to double digits! :D

I was looking at the itinerary map for my upcoming cruise on the Legend and coming back from Grand Cayman it looks like we will be fairly close to Cuba. Can you see it from the ship, maybe with binoculars? Also, if anyone has seen it about what time did you pass it?

To answer both parts of your question: I just sailed on the Legend 9-9 to 9-16. I took pictures of "land" around 7am. While on the Behind the Fun tour, someone asked the captain how close we were to Cuba and he stated that we had passed it around 7am.....

It did just look like a line on the horizon, but since it wasn't complete daylight yet, I knew it was land because I could see a beacon light.

All things considered in today's world, it is really, to put it mildly, silly, that it is almost impossible for an American to travel there legally.

so true. my relatives can be traced there and i would love to go. just would be great to do it legally and easily instead of having to use binoculars on a passing cruise ship just to get a glance of it.

As I read this tread I was thinking of creative, I can see Russia so I must know something comments and you beat me to it.

I am going to the Cayman Islands, maybe I can visit Mittins money, better yet I can be President if I open an account while I am there :)

When you have a dismal record, attack. Stop buying into the media bias and don't let facts and logic cloud your opinion.

Cuba isn't a terrorist island. Guantanamo Bay is there, where the US currently has a military base holding middle east terrorists. Weird, I know.

The culture, the people, the history, the art...Cuba is a wonderful place.

A true utopia. That's why all those Floridians risk their lives weekly in rickety rafts to get there. ;)

Okay, that was sarcasm, I do agree that it will be great to be able to travel there and hopefully see measured development for the folks living there.

Yes! You will be able to see Cuba from the Legend, and because of this you will be an expert in foreign policy Sarah.:cool:

You betcha! If you were one of the 53% ers then you should be able to see Cuba from a cruise ship. Last time I was in Cuba (Holguin) I saw cruise ships going by.

I was looking at the itinerary map for my upcoming cruise on the Legend and coming back from Grand Cayman it looks like we will be fairly close to Cuba. Can you see it from the ship, maybe with binoculars? Also, if anyone has seen it about what time did you pass it?

We saw it at a distance last year on the Dream.

Archived