Can you see Cuba from the Legend?

CBCGirl

We saw it on the Conquest a couple years ago, but you had to know where to look and I wouldn't have been able to see it without binoculars. You could tell the people (like me) who are interested in where they are going and who are following their path on something more accurate than the posted route map. They were all up on the top deck with binoculars. All you needed to do was project your course the night before and make a guess at when you'd be passing at the nearest point (which I think was quite early in the morning).

For Canadians (particularly those in Eastern Canada), going to Cuba for a vacation is an equivalent vacation option as compared to going to Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica or one of the Caribbean Islands. It's no big deal.

You betcha! If you were one of the 53% ers then you should be able to see Cuba from a cruise ship. Last time I was in Cuba (Holguin) I saw cruise ships going by.

We saw a Carnival ship from the beach at our resort in Santa Lucia last year - it was close enough that I could tell it was a Carnival ship without binoculars.

A true utopia. That's why all those Floridians risk their lives weekly in rickety rafts to get there. ;)

Okay, that was sarcasm, I do agree that it will be great to be able to travel there and hopefully see measured development for the folks living there.

Notice I said the culture and the beauty of the island. All the rest is heartbreaking.

Those 90 miles from Miami just don't mean the same thing that they used to be. The whole Guantanamo base thing (not who is there, won't get ino that, the fact that we have it) is an odd cold war remainder.

I thought it was more of a Spanish-American War remainder. The U.S. Guantanamo lease is from 1903, shortly after that war.

I've seen Cuba twice. First time was from a Beechcraft Queen Air on the to Little Cayman around 1970. We flew directly across the island with permission. They did send a fighter up to do a visual ID on us but otherwise the flight went without incident. The second time was from the bridge of a freighter headed to Guatemala in 1979. The captain decided 12 miles off the coast of Cuba was where he wanted to an annual man overboard and maneuvering drill required by the Coast Guard. He cut it short when we could see about 3 patrol boats headed out to us from shore at 20-25 knots or so. They came out to the 12 mile limit and then watched us disappear over the horizon.

From the air most of the interior of Cuba looked empty. There were some obvious signs of cultivation but very little in the way of villages or towns identifiable from 5,000 feet.

On the freighter we were never closer than 12 miles so details were pretty much nonexistent even through the ship's binoculars.

Archived