Paying for onboard account

3rdGenCunarder

Amongst my friends, I am the go-to person for answering cruise questions, but today I am ashamed to admit, I'm stumped. Someone asked me a question I couldn't answer. :o

What are the acceptable ways to pay your onboard account? I always register a credit card. But what if you don't have a credit card? Can you use other forms of payment? Will they accept a reloadable pre-paid card? Will that pass muster when registering personal info on the website?

Holland America is very open about the fact that they place a "hold" on the registered credit card for a daily amount that they consider "average" on-board spending. It starts when you board, no matter how early you register the card. And it ends when you debark or shortly thereafter. Lots of businesses use holds, but few tell you about it. I suspect that Cunard does this. Does anyone know? And if they do, will they accept cash upon boarding as a deposit against the hold? Will they accept a prepaid card at that time?

What non-creditcard options are possible? Should she buy herself some OBC before she sails? If she doesn't spend it all, how would she get the excess back?

I've seen this discussed a lot on the HAL board because of their use of the credit card hold. But I don't think I've seen it discussed here. Suggestions?

I know that you can deposit cash and that if you do it is vital that your deposited amount always exceeds the balance, don't know about the pre loaded cards I'm afraid. If OBC is purchased it is non-refundable under any circumstance which I find difficult to understand.

Hi 3rdGenCunarder. I always use a credit card too, but I copied answer from http://www.cunard.com/FAQs/On-Board/

How do I settle my final bill on board?

If you wish, you can register your credit card details at check in. If you do and are happy with your final statement, your account will be settled automatically. However, if you wish to settle your on board account at the end of the voyage by cash, you should do so at the Purser’s Office.

For World Voyages you will need to settle your account at the end of each sector. These dates will be advised when you are on board.

We would recommend that you ensure your card provider is aware that you are travelling

I'm suprised that some amount is not required up front, but no mention is made of that being necessary (?). Regards, -S.

Edited to add: I was writing as Capnpugwash posted...his comment seems more complete to me that what is posted in Cunard FAQ.

Pre-paid cards are not accepted... "At the start of your voyage, you will be asked to register a credit card. The balance of your account at the end of your voyage will automatically be charged to this card. We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Diners Card and Visa debit / Delta cards. If you prefer to pay with cash, please speak to the purser after embarkation. We cannot accept cheques Switch / Maestro, Mastercard Debit cards, Corporate cards, Solo, Visa Electron, prepaid credit cards or travellers cheques".

Holland America is very open about the fact that they place a "hold" on the registered credit card for a daily amount that they consider "average" on-board spending. It starts when you board, no matter how early you register the card. And it ends when you debark or shortly thereafter. Lots of businesses use holds, but few tell you about it. I suspect that Cunard does this. Does anyone know?
"...Pre authorisations are conducted on a daily basis and are conducted to ensure your bank holds enough funds to clear your account. Your bank does not actually release any money and we do not actually ask for this to be paid to us. The second payment is where we have asked for the money to be paid to us. This is a bank process. Banks hold money expecting us to claim for it. We have no control over this and it can take up to seven to 10 days for this to clear. American Express can take longer - up to 30 days"

Hope this helps.

http://https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/pay_onboard

How do I settle my on board account?

At the start of your voyage, you will be asked to register a credit card. The balance of your account at the end of your voyage will automatically be charged to this card. We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Diners Card and Visa debit / Delta cards. If you prefer to pay with cash, please speak to the purser after embarkation.

We cannot accept cheques Switch / Maestro, Mastercard Debit cards, Corporate cards, Solo, Visa Electron, prepaid credit cards or travellers cheques.

A revolving-charge credit card or cash are the only options. A pre-paid credit card would require the ship to process every single purchase at the moment of use to ensure the passenger had not emptied the card out. Just too much fraud involved with those (at least here in the US) to go along with the risk of total loss if the card is misplaced.

http://https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/pay_onboard

A revolving-charge credit card or cash are the only options. A pre-paid credit card would require the ship to process every single purchase at the moment of use to ensure the passenger had not emptied the card out. Just too much fraud involved with those (at least here in the US) to go along with the risk of total loss if the card is misplaced.

Awesome answers to nagging questions I have had... The description on Cunard's website confused me. I think of pre paid cards. Sara

I know some of the cruise lines will take a debit card. They do, however, put a hold on the card for varying amounts (based on who knows what?) My future son-in-law used one on a Royal Caribbean cruise. One of the issues was that they keep that hold on the card for about a week after the sailing, which if you don't know that, can cause a problem with balancing your check book! :eek:

I know some of the cruise lines will take a debit card. They do, however, put a hold on the card for varying amounts (based on who knows what?) My future son-in-law used one on a Royal Caribbean cruise. One of the issues was that they keep that hold on the card for about a week after the sailing, which if you don't know that, can cause a problem with balancing your check book! :eek:

(See post #4). You're quite right. This is how I read it; A passenger's daily spend is "pre-authorised" with the card company/bank each night by the cruise line. These pre-authorisations stay on the card for between 7 and 30 days. At the end of the voyage the line then charges the card with the accrued total of each day's spend.

In practical terms this means that the card can have double the spent amount "deducted" from it. Which on long voyages, or for a high spending passenger, could mean, to put it crudely, that there are not enough funds available to pay the bill, despite the passenger knowing that he/she has spent nowhere near the card's limit :mad: .

I would presume the lines "pre-authorise" each night so that they they can stop a passenger spending if the card is declined, rather than wait till the end of the trip to find out they've been "had".

The pre-authorisations drop off the card after 7-30 days and the funds become available to the passenger once more. My concern would be for the passenger who gets off the ship after a voyage thinking they've funds still available on a card only to find that card declined everywhere they go :mad: .

That's how I read it, if I'm wrong, I am sorry and willing to be corrected.

I Intended to Register a Credit Card but pay the Bill in cash on the last Sea Day, but because of the Whole "can stay on for 7 - 30 days" and because I have a low limit Card which I plan to keep for Emergency's, I think I will go down the Cash Route. I believe that you have to have $200 in your account and any that you do not spend is refundable on the last night, Unlike OBC.

Pre paid cards are not accepted, which is what I have, but does any one know why they aren't accepted? I have used mine all over the world (well Hong Kong, Dubai,Portugal ) and I use it to guarantee hotel reservations in my upcoming Thailand trip,my theory is that maybe they can not put a hold on a certain amount of money like they do with credit/debit cards?

Deb

I'd be very suprised if only $300 was required in advance as a deposit for on-board charges without a credit card back-up for a more substantial amount.

I think that $300 is the amount required to activate your cruise card. Once you have reached that amount the Pursers Office will 'deactivate' your cruise card so that you can not charge anything to it until you have deposited more funds with the Pursers Office. This way you cannot run up large debts.

You can also use this method with children's cruise cards where you can put a limit on their spend $50 or what ever you wish so that they cant spend large amounts in the shops and on soft drinks/mock tails etc. You can also deactivate their cards so that they can not charge anything to their card.

If I remember correctly the Pursers Office will notify you when you have spent a certain amount so that you have time to deposit more cash before your card is deactivated/ refused in a bar/shop

Pre paid cards are not accepted, which is what I have, but does any one know why they aren't accepted? I have used mine all over the world (well Hong Kong, Dubai,Portugal ) and I use it to guarantee hotel reservations in my upcoming Thailand trip,my theory is that maybe they can not put a hold on a certain amount of money like they do with credit/debit cards? Deb
See post #5. I hadn't thought about this before, not having a pre-paid card, although I've often thought how good they are for controlling spending. Hope this helps.

See post #5. I hadn't thought about this before, not having a pre-paid card, although I've often thought how good they are for controlling spending. Hope this helps.

I use it when I travel so I don't have to carry a lot of cash, and especially if you go to USA you can't do anything without a credit card, and to control my spending, I am very much a live for the day kind of woman. But I do have access to regular credit cards when I have to use them. I so miss the days of cash, you knew excatly where you were with it, if it was in your purse you could spend if not you went without!

Deb

It's $300, https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/cash_account

I've not used this method yet, if anyone has, were there any issues?

I will be using this method on our upcoming cruise, on our TA in July I used a debit card and it was 4 weeks until my bank account was back level, they actually debit your account on every purchase over $50 so I had 10 amounts taken over the week plus the excahnge rate was :eek:.

Jason

I use it when I travel so I don't have to carry a lot of cash, and especially if you go to USA you can't do anything without a credit card.

Deb

I disagree I've never owned a credit card and never will, I had no problem using my debit card n the US booked and paid our hotel, tickets, food, and even paid cabs.

Jason

I disagree I've never owned a credit card and never will, I had no problem using my debit card n the US booked and paid our hotel, tickets, food, and even paid cabs.

Jason

You are a stronger man then me Jason, Mac makup shop gets my credit card everytime lol I actually don't have a debit card I only have a bank account to get paid in and if I could get paid the old fashinoned way by a wage packet I would, as soon as my money is in the lot comes out and I pay the bills cash, then I know excatly where I am and don't worry when these banks get gliches and bounce DD etc and I find it easier to save that way.

Deb,

Pre paid cards are not accepted, which is what I have, but does any one know why they aren't accepted? I have used mine all over the world (well Hong Kong, Dubai,Portugal ) and I use it to guarantee hotel reservations in my upcoming Thailand trip,my theory is that maybe they can not put a hold on a certain amount of money like they do with credit/debit cards?

Deb

Deb I am in the very same situation and now plan on going the cash route. I am taking a TA and will be a solo traveler so I cant take the chance to have problems once I arrive. I too have used it to reserve my hotels in London and Southampton but the reser ppk says I can pay cash on arrival.

Deb I am in the very same situation and now plan on going the cash route. I am taking a TA and will be a solo traveler so I cant take the chance to have problems once I arrive. I too have used it to reserve my hotels in London and Southampton but the reser ppk says I can pay cash on arrival.

I think I'll also go down the cash route. I refuse to have a credit card. If I cannot afford it I don't buy it (and I'm a Gen Yer).

Disappointed to suspect travel cards aren't accepted. The big banks in Australia offer Visa travel cards where you can use them like a debit card.

I don't want to use my actual card as the international fees will be outrageous! Hence the Visa travel card - exchange rate locked in and only $2 to withdraw money from international ATMs.

I assume if I have not spent everything I put down at the purser's desk I will receive back in cash at the end of my voyage? I was thinking of putting down $1,000 to start and don't want to lose anything i don't spend.

In practical terms this means that the card can have double the spent amount "deducted" from it. Which on long voyages, or for a high spending passenger, could mean, to put it crudely, that there are not enough funds available to pay the bill, despite the passenger knowing that he/she has spent nowhere near the card's limit :mad: .

I would presume the lines "pre-authorise" each night so that they they can stop a passenger spending if the card is declined, rather than wait till the end of the trip to find out they've been "had".

The pre-authorisations drop off the card after 7-30 days and the funds become available to the passenger once more. My concern would be for the passenger who gets off the ship after a voyage thinking they've funds still available on a card only to find that card declined everywhere they go :mad: .

That's how I read it, if I'm wrong, I am sorry and willing to be corrected.

Peppern, your opinion is right. My bank sends notifications to me as fraud protection every time I use my credit card (also for amounts on hold). After registering my Card while boarding an amount of $300 was set on hold. After nearly spending the money another $300 was set on hold and so on. After leaving the ship, the amount of the bill was taken from the card, but the hold money was released 7 days later. Therefore there was a time where the double amount of my spendings was not available for me.

I think that if you have a credit card with low limit you may have trouble at your destination. Best advice is to check and maybe increase your limit.

Frank

We have just been on the Queen Victoria and we deposited $600 ( $300 per person) when we first boarded. We then kept a running total and knew when we needed to deposit more funds. The purser's desk will give you an update on your account at any time. We also had cash to come back to us at the end, again we received that down to the last cent, no problem. We would certainly do this again as we also do not have a credit card and have no intention of getting one.:D

Archived