Snorkeling in Belize vs Roatan

Osnab

I always was under the impression that Belize was the best place for snorkeling, but after looking at the excursion choices on my upcoming cruise, it seems that Roatan, Honduras has more options for snorkeling. Has anyone been snorkeling in both places where you can give me a comparison?

Thanks in advance.....

Felicia

As you may never get back to either port, I'd suggest that in Belize you snorkel with Coral Breeze with includes two snorkel stops & then a local lunch on Caye Caulker, then the boat ride back to the Tourist Village. Look up the web site for Coral Breeze Tours. We have used this tour provider for probably the last ten years, about twice a year, with great results & zero problems. With Heni as their group leader, you will have a great time.

In Roatan, we snorkel at Tayabana Beach thru the ship which is a walk in snorkel experience with a short swim to the reef. This tour runs about $35 PP & includes an included bus ride to & from this beach. You can pack a lunch during breakfast that required no refrigeration & travel on the cheap. Or food may be pruchased there as well as drinks. This is one of the top three snorkel sites we have ever visited.

Enjoy.

Bill in FL

My ex and I snorkeled there, we went to the beach were some of the fishermen have their boats and talked one in to taking us to the reef to snorkle, we paid the captain of the Panga $10.00 each, which was cheap for us and great for him, it was an awesome dive!

Robert

As you may never get back to either port, I'd suggest that in Belize you snorkel with Coral Breeze with includes two snorkel stops & then a local lunch on Caye Caulker, then the boat ride back to the Tourist Village. Look up the web site for Coral Breeze Tours. We have used this tour provider for probably the last ten years, about twice a year, with great results & zero problems. With Heni as their group leader, you will have a great time.

In Roatan, we snorkel at Tayabana Beach thru the ship which is a walk in snorkel experience with a short swim to the reef. This tour runs about $35 PP & includes an included bus ride to & from this beach. You can pack a lunch during breakfast that required no refrigeration & travel on the cheap. Or food may be pruchased there as well as drinks. This is one of the top three snorkel sites we have ever visited.

Enjoy.

Bill in FL

My inlaws are going to be in Belize and Roatan and are looking for a good first time snorkel experience...is there are website to find for all the details for the Roatan one?

Edited by crAZytwinmomma

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it sounds like both are lovely. Thank you!

Enjoy.

Bill in FL

In Roatan, we snorkel at Tayabana Beach thru the ship which is a walk in snorkel experience with a short swim to the reef. This tour runs about $35 PP & includes an included bus ride to & from this beach.

We booked a $25pp private tour through Victor Bodden and had 8 hours of a private tour. We saw the entire island and snorkeled at Tabyana. I would never pay $35pp for a short cruise ship excursion, when I can get a full-day guided tour including the snorkeling and anything else I want to do, for cheaper than the ship excursion. JMO

We booked a $25pp private tour through Victor Bodden and had 8 hours of a private tour. We saw the entire island and snorkeled at Tabyana. I would never pay $35pp for a short cruise ship excursion, when I can get a full-day guided tour including the snorkeling and anything else I want to do, for cheaper than the ship excursion. JMO

In Roatan, that walk to get to the nonship tour providers is not worth it for us.

Waaaay toooo long & far & those hills !!

Bill in FL

In Roatan, that walk to get to the nonship tour providers is not worth it for us.

Bill in FL

There are cabs that take you to the top of the hill for $2.00 and then the tour providers are allowed to drop you off right at the port, so you don't have to pay for the cab on the way home.

Bill in FL

We found a local guy in Roatan who is awesome, his name is Daniel..he will take you to the best snorkeling place on a small boat, include the equipment, for about $15 per person. He also will take you on a tour of the island, ziplining or whatever you want to do. His e-mail is dandan_johnson@yahoo.com. He may take a few days to get back with you, as the internet connections in Roatan are intermittent. But we have used him twice and friends have used him several times, everyone is happy! Good luck!

We just got back yesterday and I agree Victors guides are awesome and cheap.We had Tex and as people say on here he is the best.He took us to a new condo developement with a nice bar all the way at the end of west bay beach and we saw to most fish we have ever say snorkeling ,tons of fish all different colors and coral all in about 5 feet of water.Im sure there would have been more farther out but my wife is new to snokeling so I didnt want to push her

We just got back yesterday and I agree Victors guides are awesome and cheap.We had Tex and as people say on here he is the best.He took us to a new condo developement with a nice bar all the way at the end of west bay beach and we saw to most fish we have ever say snorkeling ,tons of fish all different colors and coral all in about 5 feet of water.Im sure there would have been more farther out but my wife is new to snokeling so I didnt want to push her

Do you remember the name of the condo developement?

Do you remember the name of the condo developement?

I cant remember but I can tell you its all the way at the end ,where we were theres about a 25 foot tall rock wall.It seemed to be brand new and the sign said starting at 200k

Carnival's Maya Key excursion, or privatly with Anthony's Key resort has the best snorkeling spot at the end of a peir, off the beach. In my opinion, it's the best snorkeling spot you're gonna be able to find. there are natural tunnels in the coral there that provide a swim path. All other snorkeling spots in Belize i've been too, don't compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy.

Bill in FL

Hi there, my husband and I are headed to Belize next month (his first cruise!) and I'm looking into Coral Breeze. I've never booked an excursion NOT through the ship, so it makes me a little nervous. Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Hi there, my husband and I are headed to Belize next month (his first cruise!) and I'm looking into Coral Breeze. I've never booked an excursion NOT through the ship, so it makes me a little nervous. Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Im not Bill but most of us on here have been using independant tours for years and rely on word of mouth on here.PLEASE dont be nervous,all these tour operators know that if they arrive late that they will go out of business :)

What ports are you going to ?

Im not Bill but most of us on here have been using independant tours for years and rely on word of mouth on here.PLEASE dont be nervous,all these tour operators know that if they arrive late that they will go out of business :)

What ports are you going to ?

Thank you, that means alot. My parents have always done it the "right way" and used the ship's excursions it seems like more and more people are booking private tours. We stop in Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I scuba but unfortunately my husband does not and I don't want to go on my own so we're trying to find a great snorkeling tour. Have you used Coral Breeze?

Thank you, that means alot. My parents have always done it the "right way" and used the ship's excursions it seems like more and more people are booking private tours. We stop in Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. I scuba but unfortunately my husband does not and I don't want to go on my own so we're trying to find a great snorkeling tour. Have you used Coral Breeze?

I would check out Victor Bodden in Roatan

this is what we do http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

I would book this go to west bay beach and west end village (lots of dive shops)

Victors tour guides will cater to your interests and for under $100 for two you have them the entire day and get to see the island.Our guide Tex was awesome and you can reserve the day with him

At west bay beach we were in waist high water and I have never seen so many fish while snorkeling just right off the beach,further out was a nice reef that we didnt venture out to

• 2 weeks later...

I used coral breeze who is the booking agent for hammerhead water sports to snorkel in Belize last week. Can't give them enough praise for their trip. Henni was wonderful and has a small group to snorkel with so it is good for someone who is new. Also they are right on the pier and easy to find.

Have also snorkeled off tabayana and caye caulker in Belize is much better in my opinion. The best snorkeling hands down in all the western Carib.

I have read this thread with genuine interest. Am going in March to Roatan and Belize. It will also unfortunately be a spring break cruise :mad: My BFF is in the school system. Love love to snorkel but am afraid that the beach will be mobbed. Any other suggestions where there might be more quiet but still good snorkeling? I am intrigued with Tabyana but fear the noise will get the best of me! Thanks.