ORIANA - advice help please

simonpjd

We are thinking of booking a 10 day cruise on Oriana next year and I am looking at the ship and cabins. If you can help with any of this many thanks. We are looking to get a decent outside twin cabin - we cannot afford a balcony but also dont want a porthole! and a bath would be nice.

1 I have read that cabins towwards the stern can suffer from vibration so a midships or forward cabin would be best - is this right??

2 I am told the cabins on C and D decks have baths - and they are full sized baths. Is this right.

3 On C deck the midships cabins are 'deluxe' and are considerably larger and a bit nicer (also £200+ more expensive). Does anyone know how much larger they are and are they worth the extra money.

4 This is now an adults only ship. Any thoughts on this. I am guessing this means that the average age will be nearer 65 but that is not a problem. We are in our 50s and have sailed with Fred Olsen a couple of times where age is nearer 97 at a conservative estimate (I was once watching the passengers hobbling down the gangway and a local asked, genuinely, if it was a hospital ship. lol).

Anyway I hope you can help and leave some advice or anything you think a prospective Oriana cruiser should know.

Thank you

Oriana is a beautiful traditional ship so lots of deck space and lots of teak decking. She can suffer some vibration from the props so if you are worried the midships or forward cabins would be better. You feel less movement general midships and lower down. Only about four cabins each side have portholes and these are on the lowest passenger deck forward. She was built specifically for Uk passengers and to replce Canberra so many of the cabins do have baths with showers. It should say on the P&O site which these are. As for adult-only - many of us younger cruisers prefer it too. It will also depend on the length of the cruise and itinerary as to age group, but I would say from late 50s upwards would be the majority.

We have had aft cabins back in 1995 onwards and prefer them as they have a door to the aft deck close by... no vibration but a slight pulse ( like a heart beat). I think the more people say the ship vibrates or cork screws the more people go and with the suggestion in their heads then say '' yes we noticed it'' rather like a magician can make you think of a number he wants you to..

Its a lovely ship.... only missing thing is a covered pool...

Another quick question. What time are the 2 sittings. We usually do the first but on Fred this is now 6.15 which is a bit early. What time on P&O please. And is you do the second do you normally watch the Headliners show before of after dinner. Thanks

Dinner is normally 6:30 and 8:30pm. The theatre shows are 8:30 and 10:30. Sometimes 8:45 and 10:45 on special nights like Captains welcome on board.

The self service restaurant is also open every evening with a themed (i.e. Chinese, Indian, Italian etc ) menu

Brian

Another quick question. What time are the 2 sittings. We usually do the first but on Fred this is now 6.15 which is a bit early. What time on P&O please. And is you do the second do you normally watch the Headliners show before of after dinner. Thanks

Shows are normally timed for after dinner - that is the first sitting show will be around 8.30 and the second at 10.30. There is often a music recital or somesuch before dinner as well.

I think you are wise to pick a cabin with a bath as the bathroom seems to be larger with more room to move around. I like Oriana and always try to go for cabins on the upper decks. Being up so high and aft on Oriana you will not feel vibrations as the cabins are a fair way back from the stern considering all the deck spae it has in that area.

I've been on Oriana before and after the refit to Adults only. I am 50, and the average age was around 55-65... some younger some a lot older. You'll fit right in . Its GREAT now, all 3 pools to ourselves including the lovely aft pool which the children used to take over... the cinema shows adult films... we saw 3 while onboard in the late afternoon before getting ready for 2nd sitting dinner, don't go to the cinema at home so took hubbie along to see Warhorse and Iron Lady which were at the cinemas on land at the same time. Saw one film after dinner which finished at 1am, not many had their eyes open at the end of the film after a long day with lots to eat haha:)

She's a lovely ship. Many public areas were refurbished in the refit with new carpets, chair and settee covers etc inc buffet restaurant and alfresco. Enjoy!:D

Well the bullett has been bitten!

We are booked for a 10 dayer next July. Many thanks for your answers which helped make up our mind. This will be our 3rd P&O trip and the 3rd different vessel but if we enjoy it as much as Arcadia and Artemis we will have a fine time.

Archived