San Gervasio

Tulsa Tom

Last trip to coz I rented a car and did the other side of island beach beer deal..I stopped at the entrance to San Gervasio and was told by the gate keeper it was a mile walk to the site and the entrance fee was $20 or so. I am going again in February and would like to know if anyone has actually gone to this maya site. I understand it's the only real maya site on the island and there does not appear to be a tour that includes San Gerervasio. Is it worth the trouble to see ?

No need to go through the ship even if they offer a tour - very easy to do on your own by renting a vehicle or taking a taxi.

We stopped there (in November 2007, so it's been a while) when we hired a driver for the day. I don't remember the admission charge, but it certainly was not that much and I definitely do not remember it being that long a walk from the gate to the ruins, though there is a lot of walking to tour the entire grounds of the ruins. We did not do a guided tour so perhaps the rate quoted you included that as well the charge to be able to videotape, which is charged at some of the Mayan ruins.

The size and extent of the restoration of the ruins does not compare to other sites we have visited on the mainland (from the ports of Progeso, Costa Maya, and Belize) but it does cover a large area to explore and enjoy the nature as well as the ruins and what time does to reclaim what we humans build. We would liked to have spent more time there but we wanted to see more of the island during the time we had with the taxi driver. I definitely thought it was worth the time and money to see. If we ever get tired of visiting the east side on the Cozumel Bar Hop Tour we might visit San Gervasio again!

The taxi rate schedule posted at the port taxi area includes an option for a tour to the ruins if you don't care to rent a vehicle.

If you are interested in visiting San Gervasio, I would encourage you to do so.

Last trip to coz I rented a car and did the other side of island beach beer deal..I stopped at the entrance to San Gervasio and was told by the gate keeper it was a mile walk to the site and the entrance fee was $20 or so. I am going again in February and would like to know if anyone has actually gone to this maya site. I understand it's the only real maya site on the island and there does not appear to be a tour that includes San Gerervasio. Is it worth the trouble to see ?

We enjoyed a visit to the ruins earlier this year when we also had a driver for the day.

The entrance fee is $8pp total paid as two times $4 since it goes to two different governing bodies. This is for a self guided tour, (information leaflet included) but you have the option of having a guide which I believe may be $15-20. The ruins are small in comparison to elsewhere but interesting nevertheless. The main plaza is quite close to the entrance area but there is a walk through the jungle to some outlying sites which is probably about a mile, don't forget water and bug spray. We enjoyed the walk, photographing the iguanas and getting away from the crowds for a while.

The taxi tour rate from the pier is round trip and includes waiting time (maybe 1 hour?) for the driver.

This is definately worth a visit. My husband I and were on Cozumel for one day in January; rented a beach buggy to drive around the island and stopped in San Gervasio.

The ruins are not as big as Chitchinitza (sp), Tulum or Coba, but are worth the visit. Very spread out and you do get to walk through the jungle and see much wildlife. We did he self guided tour and learned much about this site by reading the brochure and the informational signs that are near the structures.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
We have never been and want to do a ruins site but don't want to be hours from the ship.Is any cab safe to take?How do you hire a driver that is trustworthy?

Easy enough to get a taxi from the dispatcher at the pier although you cannot guarantee they will speak, or want to speak, English. The price for the taxi includes waiting and return as far as I know - check with dispatcher for actual time allowed.

Not sure if you have visited Cozumel before but if you want to be really comfortable, with English speaking guide, I would suggest you pre-book a driver through Tours Plaza for a 3-4 hour tour. Plenty of recommendations on here if you read the "hiring a driver for the day" thread.

Is it too much walking for a 3 and 5 year old?

Yes. And they wouldn't know what they were looking at, be complaining of being hot and tired and thristy.

If you want to show them something 'educational' but that they can perhaps understand or visually like, try Discover Mexico, across from the entrance road to Chankanaab. A short cab ride from the two southern piers and if you google their website, you can find coupons for discounts. They have artifacts, slide shows and minature models of several important historical sites that you can walk around. It's not an overly time consuming stop either. Plus you can get furthe rdiscount to Chank and take them over to see the various sealife on display or play at th ebeach for the rest of the day.

Archived