Danube River Cruise Questions

Valley Girl of VA

Obviously I do know that Prague is not on the Danube but since it is a point that many of the river companies use as an embarkation or disembarkation point, I listed it as they do. There is transportation between Prague and the actual river port. I'm sorry, I should have been more specific for you but it seemed that others who have been on this river and experienced Prague knew what I was saying.

No, I underswtood what you ment and I wasn't trying to sound like a smarta$$. With most of the cruises Prague is an add on at the beginning or the end of the trip and you can opt out of it and make your own arrangements. I assumed you knew Prague was not a port city. I was just suggesting that, in case you had not considered it, you could visit Prague on your own and then start your cruise somewhere else downriver, like Vienna or Budapest. The bus ride from Prague can be anywhere from 90 minutes to two hours or more, depending on where you cruise from. We actually did Prague on our own and hired a private car to take us to our embarkation point on the Danube, stopping in Chesky Krumlov for several hours on the way. But you could fly from Prague if you wanted to start the cruise further downstream and not be dependent on the cruise lines for your visit to Prague.

Just a suggestion, sorry if I upset you.

No, I understood what you meant and I wasn't trying to sound like a smarta$$.

Just a suggestion, sorry if I upset you.

No, I'm the one that should be apologizing. You were trying to be helpful and with your further explanation in your last post, I can see it. I guess I did think you were trying to be a smarta$$- sorry.

I haven't done a river cruise yet, but we were in Romania last year and it's very depressed. If you go to Bucharest, you might be better starting there rather than ending there. You would progress into a more prosperous world.

We're at the other end of VA now, but used to live in a small town called Lincoln, near Purcellville. Are you in that area?

Good friends of ours live in Lincoln and until 4 years ago when we moved to Staunton (west of Charlottesville in the Shenandoah Valley), we too lived in Loudoun County about 30 minutes from Purcellville and Lincoln

We took the Viking Danube Christmas market cruise in December. We went Nuremberg to Budapest and flew into Nuremberg a couple of days early. The cruise was great, loved the stops but was most impressed with Budapest. I was expecting Vienna to be the trip highlight, but was very disappointed. I think a day is not long enough to get a good feel for a city. We arrived at Budapest early in the morning and saw the sunrise over the city. It was gorgeous at night with all the buildings etc. lit up. We also thought the Budapest Christmas market was the best - more handmade items, a variety of food and lots of atmosphere. We just hated that we had not planned to stay over for a couple of days at the end of the cruise.

This was our first cruise on the new Viking longship and we loved it. We cruised with Viking several years ago with disastrous results. We decided to give them a second chance and were very glad we did.

We took the Viking Danube Christmas market cruise in December. We went Nuremberg to Budapest and flew into Nuremberg a couple of days early. The cruise was great, loved the stops but was most impressed with Budapest. I was expecting Vienna to be the trip highlight, but was very disappointed. I think a day is not long enough to get a good feel for a city. We arrived at Budapest early in the morning and saw the sunrise over the city. It was gorgeous at night with all the buildings etc. lit up. We also thought the Budapest Christmas market was the best - more handmade items, a variety of food and lots of atmosphere. We just hated that we had not planned to stay over for a couple of days at the end of the cruise.

This was our first cruise on the new Viking longship and we loved it. We cruised with Viking several years ago with disastrous results. We decided to give them a second chance and were very glad we did.

We didn't go to the Christmas markets, but Budapest was a favorite of ours too. We liked shopping on the Vaci Utca and at the Central Market and going on an informative walking tour. In addition we took the tram over on the Buda side and ended up at a shopping mall! So much fun, and I agree it is beautiful at night.

• 3 weeks later...
We went Nuremberg to Budapest and flew into Nuremberg a couple of days early.

Can you tell me what you did on the free days before your cruise? Where did you stay? How did you get to the boat?

We are taking a Christmas Markets cruise in Dec with Uniworld from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Thinking about going over a couple days early.

Sharon

• 10 months later...

Hi, David. Your usual attire will be fine. Obviously in April you will need a light jacket. No formal wear, but I did bring a couple of cute dresses (not required, and you would look odd in them anyway). Get ready to have a great time!