Hotels in San Juan

Scrappinbec

I know this is probably asked before, but what hotels do most stay at in San Juan after the cruise? I read that some have stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan (since it's right there by the dock). I am trying to find the cheapest rate for this hotel. What websites are the best for booking? Our cruise isn't until next June and so far, I am finding the cheapest to be around $300 including the fees for 3 of us. Do you think the price will drop if we wait to book?

or is there another hotel that is close and good to stay?

Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks!

I know this is probably asked before, but what hotels do most stay at in San Juan after the cruise? I read that some have stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan (since it's right there by the dock). I am trying to find the cheapest rate for this hotel. What websites are the best for booking? Our cruise isn't until next June and so far, I am finding the cheapest to be around $300 including the fees for 3 of us. Do you think the price will drop if we wait to book?

Go to "Ports of Call" then "Caribbean" then "San Juan PR" and you will get plenty of good advice

When are you going and how many nights are you looking for? I am assuming for 6/16 based on your signature.. I just did a quick search for that night and the Sheraton was $179. Do you have AAA? That can help bring prices down.

Also, are you wanting to stay in Old San Juan? If you venture out to the 'beach areas' (very close to OSJ) there are plenty of beautiful hotels to choose from. La Concha is one of our favorites. Look into Condado and Isla Verde.

When are you going and how many nights are you looking for? I am assuming for 6/16 based on your signature.. I just did a quick search for that night and the Sheraton was $179. Do you have AAA? That can help bring prices down.

Also, are you wanting to stay in Old San Juan? If you venture out to the 'beach areas' (very close to OSJ) there are plenty of beautiful hotels to choose from. La Concha is one of our favorites. Look into Condado and Isla Verde.

Thanks for the info. We get back to San Juan on 16 June and plan to stay the night. I think we are going to go with the Sheraton due to being close to most of the touristy stuff but I am still looking. We don't have AAA but we are military. So far, the military rate is better than any of the websites.

Thanks again for the info and help.

If you don't need something fancy, check out the Hotel Plaza de Armas. It was a Howard Johnson hotel at one time. It's located right in the middle of OSJ. It is an old building, but the place is clean, staff is great and it is a short walk to almost anywhere in OSJ. It is very safe, located next to the police station. Plaza de Armas is across the street. Get one of the rooms at the front with a balcony. We stayed there 4 days pre cruise and really enjoyed the location. Lots of nightlife with-in a block or two. We paid around $120 a night (Feb 2010) but I think I saw where it is a little more now. Post cruise we stayed at the Sheraton. Booked it through hotwire for around $139 + taxes.

Da House is a great cheap place starts around 80$ Some people will say it is very noisy, but if you stay there on a Sunnday night post cruise the lounge by the hotel is closed, last I knew of anyway. We Love It!

Verdanza is very nice and close to the beach, USAirways put me here when I gave upmy seat and stayed an extra night. We have also stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan and thought it was over priced. This year we are staying at SOFO Casablanca in Old San Juan both pre and post cruise.

Verdanza is very nice and close to the beach, USAirways put me here when I gave upmy seat and stayed an extra night. We have also stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan and thought it was over priced. This year we are staying at SOFO Casablanca in Old San Juan both pre and post cruise.

US Air put us up at the Verdanza also when our plane broke down on the runway :(. It was a fine place to spend the night, but not a place I would choose because it's not located in Old San Juan or near the touristy places. I think the Sheraton is definitely closest to everything and a great location, but pricy.

I love the Conrad Condado also. It is near the port, but you have to grab a taxi or bus to get to OSJ. I also absolutely love the Plaza Des Armes Hotel- a real hidden gem in the heart of OSJ. However, I haven't stayed there since they were part of Howard Johnsons.

We booked the Sheraton post cruise since it's just right there. There's a free shuttle that goes around OSJ. It's a nice place to be for the last day in Puerto Rico. There are lots of cute shops, Forts, other historical sites, and cobblestone streets to check out. I'm also looking forward to flying a kite on the greens outside of El Morro with my LO. She's going to love it!

We booked a stay at the Radisson Ambassador in Condado for our precruise stay in Dec 2012 won it on price line for $85 it was a 3 1/2 star then post cruise got Caribe Hilton for $125 a night. In Feb 2010 we won old town Sheraton for $88 a night post cruise. you can win on that service.

If you don't need something fancy, check out the Hotel Plaza de Armas. It was a Howard Johnson hotel at one time. It's located right in the middle of OSJ. It is an old building, but the place is clean, staff is great and it is a short walk to almost anywhere in OSJ. It is very safe, located next to the police station. Plaza de Armas is across the street. Get one of the rooms at the front with a balcony. We stayed there 4 days pre cruise and really enjoyed the location. Lots of nightlife with-in a block or two. We paid around $120 a night (Feb 2010) but I think I saw where it is a little more now. Post cruise we stayed at the Sheraton. Booked it through hotwire for around $139 + taxes.

We booked this hotel for our pre-cruise! What a great rate they gave us for being in the heart of Old San Juan. The manager was very nice on the phone when I called to book 3 rooms together, even giving us the suites with the spanish balconies. The Cathedral is around the corner, plan on stopping in on Sunday morning pre-cruise. There is a Starbucks, Walgreens or CVS and Marshalls department store right across the street along the square. The taxi stand is outside the hotel and the trolly stop is next door. This is a hidden gem in Old San Juan. All the other hotels charge an extra "resort fee" don't be fooled by what people pay on Priceline, etc., they will be surprised by a $30 a night charge when they check in!

Edit to add the link to the hotel; http://www.hotelplazadearmaspr.com/

When we sailed out of San Juan we went in a day ahead and stayed a day after we disembarked as well.

On the way there we had a very lengthy travel day, up really early for our flight, some missing luggage etc and we were beat. We stayed that night near the airport at Hampton Inn and Suites San Juan (which is actually I believe Isla Verde). It was PERFECT. They had a really nice courtyard with a pool that had a great little swim up bar and bbq. All we wanted at that point was to feel the sun (there had been a blizzard coming in at home when we left), get into the pool and eat those yummy burgers outside. There is a pharmacy across the road for any last minute things you may need and a shuttle to the pier. They were very nice here and it was just what we needed after a bit of a stressful travel day. Booked directly on their website and found the price to be really reasonable.

After getting off the ship on the way home we stayed at Sheraton Old San Juan. It was centrally located and we found it very easy to get on the free trolley, to shopping, lots of choices for meals near by. Nice hotel. This one is significantly more money though so we used hotwire. I believe with priceline you can only be guaranteed 2 ppl and we had 4 which hotwire allowed us to specify. We just put in the proper search area and selected resort class. There are others in the area that are resort so you may not get this specific hotel but I am sure they are just as nice.

GOOD LUCK!

Archived