Historical Tour about Pirates

SGM Arty

Someone probably should do a tour like that, but I don't recall anything like that when we were there. There is St. Peter’s Church in St. George. Completed by Christmas of 1612, it is the oldest Anglican church in continuous use in the western hemisphere. Behind the south churchyard is the Old Rectory, built in the 18th century by pirate George Dew.

My wife would like to do a tour where she gets to learn about the history of priates in bermuda, pirate life, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions??

As a guide at an historic site, I'm always surprised that Bermuda doesn't offer more interpretation of the island's history. There's quite a story to be told, and the locations are accessible (and beautiful), but other than the museums, and a story here and there, I haven't found a comprehensive tour. Basically, you need to do the research and then connect the dots on your own.

As far as piracy, other than quaint names like "Pirate's Cove" in Somerset, or "Blackbeard's" bar ;)at St Catherine's Beach, that part of the history is even more vague. Pirates (more accurately "privateers") were given license to operate out of their waters and no doubt used the island as a base, but it was apparently not quite Jack Sparrow material. If you're interested, check for info online about "Bermuda piracy," and "privateers".

Enjoy your visit!

My wife would like to do a tour where she gets to learn about the history of priates in bermuda, pirate life, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions??

We just returned home yesterday and had a beautiful stay in Bermuda. I believe the Bermuda National Trust is what you're looking for.

They offer a combination ticket for $10 and it covers three sites - Tucker House, Verdmont, and the Bermuda National Trust Museum at the Globe Hotel (Rogues & Runners).

We started at the Tucker House in St. George's. The tour covers a good deal of Bermuda history. We were then directed to Rogues and Runners at the Globe Hotel. This tour offers a great video about the founding and development of the island. Upstairs they have a detailed display of the early history of Bermuda (they called themselves "privateers") and Bermuda's role in the Civil War and the Blockade.

Verdmont is off the south shore so we did that the next day (#1 bus from Hamilton). Beautiful estate and again covers much of Bermuda's early days (also read that it's haunted). They had a tea set supposedly being sent to then President Madison by Napoleon Bonaparte that was "intercepted" by a "privateer".

We really enjoyed all three of these sites (didn't see any ghosts), saw a lot of the island going back and forth to them on the bus and ferry and still had plenty of time for the beaches.

Hope this helps.

There are free guided tours in Dockyard, St george and Hamilton... There are also free guided tours of the Botanical Gardens. You can get Bermuda Monthly booklets in the Tourist information Booth

They are amazing tours done by a real historian born and raised in Bermuda

Check it out

There are free guided tours in Dockyard, St george and Hamilton... There are also free guided tours of the Botanical Gardens. You can get Bermuda Monthly booklets in the Tourist information Booth

They are amazing tours done by a real historian born and raised in Bermuda

Check it out

Would any of these tours be wheelchair accessible? Thank you.

Archived