Oasis nursery and babysitting - confused

Willow3006

Hi there

I'm taking my twins on Oasis in March and we want to be able to eat out at night and go to shows, etc so were hoping to use the group nursery or babysitting for maybe 1-2 hours during the day and then from say 7-11 or 12 at night as I heard they have cots in the nursery so could have their evening sleep there and then we'd just transfer them to their travelcots later.

Then I was told by someone that you can only have up to 10 hours a week in the nursery and that babysitting isn't guaranteed.

I wrote to RC and they said you can have as much nursery care as you like (as it is paid for) as long as there is availability. They didn't say anything about in room babysitting however.

I'm trying to think about what restaurants, shows etc to book beforehand but if it really is only up to 10 hours then we'll barely have time for dinner in 2 hours a night let alone anything else!

Can anyone tell me their experience? The twins will be 16 months old.

Willow x

We have not yet sailed with DD, but will be on Allure in May when she is 2 years and 4 months old. From what I've found, everyone is allowed 10 hours nursery time and then if there is still space available you can book extra time.

As for in room babysitting, you can sign up, but it is not guaranteed. Staff members have to accept the requests and then contact you to make arrangements. This is significantly more expensive too.

Like I said, we haven't done it yet, but this is what I've gathered.

I've been on Oasis when my son was 17 mos and Allure when he was 2.5 years. We booked most of our nursery time on embarkation day and had no problem reserving over ten hours. We cruised in September both times so the number of kids on board was far less than the summer/holiday sailings.

The first time we cruised my son cried and didn't want to be in the nursery. The staff got him calmed down but he wasn't happy about going. He was going through a separation anxiety phase and was never exposed to a daycare setting. Your twins might do really well since they have each other.

They do have cribs in the nursery if you want them to put your children to sleep. I'm not sure how well they would sleep because it can get very loud in there with crying/playing babies.

The nursery is $8/hr per child and the in cabin babysitting was $19/hr. I think the in cabin would be $19 total for both kids. They send two staff members even if there is only 1 child. In cabin isn't always available so don't count on it 100%.

I contacted Royal Caribbean asking if strollers were available to rent and they told me they were not.They actually had them for rent on Oasis and Allure. On Allure they let us borrow one for the entire week and didn't charge us for it. I believe I saw double strollers too, Maclaren brand.

That's the problem really. you ask the help centre one thing and then people tell you other things! We're taking 2 strollers just in case!

So what did you do about eating in the evening? did you take both children with you and just go to the main dining room?

We are from the UK so although ours are usually in bed by 6.30pm, I don't know what the time difference is going to do to them and their usual quite strict routine! I can't quite work out whether they will be up until 2am or what!

I guess the buffet is always an option!

Hi there

I'm taking my twins on Oasis in March and we want to be able to eat out at night and go to shows, etc so were hoping to use the group nursery or babysitting for maybe 1-2 hours during the day and then from say 7-11 or 12 at night as I heard they have cots in the nursery so could have their evening sleep there and then we'd just transfer them to their travelcots later.

Then I was told by someone that you can only have up to 10 hours a week in the nursery and that babysitting isn't guaranteed.

I wrote to RC and they said you can have as much nursery care as you like (as it is paid for) as long as there is availability. They didn't say anything about in room babysitting however.

I'm trying to think about what restaurants, shows etc to book beforehand but if it really is only up to 10 hours then we'll barely have time for dinner in 2 hours a night let alone anything else!

Can anyone tell me their experience? The twins will be 16 months old.

Willow x

What you were told is correct. You are only guaranteed 10 hours of nursery care for the week. If there is availability, you can sign up for more once you are on board. Whether or not there is availability depends on how many little ones are on the sailing.

In room babysitting is a different system. It is in no way guaranteed. The captain can and has on occasion decided that there will be NO babysitting on certain cruises. You can put in a request for the hours that you WANT at the purser's desk once you are onboard. They will contact you later to let you know whether or not they will be able to fulfill the request. Even if confirmed, sometimes the babysitters get sick/tired etc and don't show.

IMO, it is much easier to eat in the main dining room with little ones that it is to eat in the Windjammer. The buffet does not offer trays. It can be difficult to find a seat. So, once you have a plate or two, you circle the room looking for seats. Find seats, put children in seats, put food in front of them, find drinks, bring back drinks, find one's own food, bring that back..... food is cold, someone wants something different, someone wants dessert etc. It's much more relaxing and easier to go to the MDR.

I have never had an issue booking more time than the 10 hours. Your little ones will be a good age for the nursery. Once children get to 2 years old I do not recommend the nursery as they are not set up to accomodate a child of that age (especially when crowded). As for in cabin babysitting....multiple cruises, multiple issues, I absolutely do not recommend.

I have never had an issue booking more time than the 10 hours. Your little ones will be a good age for the nursery. Once children get to 2 years old I do not recommend the nursery as they are not set up to accomodate a child of that age (especially when crowded). As for in cabin babysitting....multiple cruises, multiple issues, I absolutely do not recommend.

What do you mean that they are not set up to accommodate 2 year olds? We will be sailing with DD who will be 2 years 4 months and planned to use the nursery while dining in alternative restaurants a couple of times. Everything I've read says that the nursery program is great for all kids not old enough for the children's program.

The nursery on Oasis and Allure are fine for 2+ year olds IMO. I suspect they get less attention when the nursery is packed but its nice, clean, safe and there are lots of toys and a tv with Sesame Street etc. I never felt it was inadequate for my son who was 2.5. They did a handprint craft with him and got him the toys he wanted from the open play area that parents can take their kids to outside if the nursery.

What do you mean that they are not set up to accommodate 2 year olds? We will be sailing with DD who will be 2 years 4 months and planned to use the nursery while dining in alternative restaurants a couple of times. Everything I've read says that the nursery program is great for all kids not old enough for the children's program.

What I mean is a two year old requires some attention.With one or two staff tending mostly to the crying teeny ones that leaves the 2 year old to entertain itself. Yes there are some toys and usually a dvd playing but there are also multiple little ones crying in unison and this disturbs the older kids. Once I came to pick up my little one (after barely 2 hours) and she was in the seperate room in a crib. I asked her why and she said it was because of the crying kids. I want the cruise to be fun for my kid just like I want it to be fun for me. The nursery for a 2 year old at peak times is not fun for the kid. NCL allows 2 year olds in its camp and I have no idea why RCCL does not. It has always been a sore spot with me.

Thank you for the insight. I'm confident DD will be fine. While she likes to play with others, she's very content entertaining herself. Also, she loves babies so I'm sure she will like being around the little ones.

One question....DD will be potty trained. Will that be an issue with the nursery since they are used to non-potty trained little ones? Will they take her to the bathroom?

We will never sail on NCL and this will probably be DD's only cruise before 3 so hopefully it will all work out---she'll have a good time both in and out of the nursery and we will have a good time too.

Thank you for the insight. I'm confident DD will be fine. While she likes to play with others, she's very content entertaining herself. Also, she loves babies so I'm sure she will like being around the little ones.

One question....DD will be potty trained. Will that be an issue with the nursery since they are used to non-potty trained little ones? Will they take her to the bathroom?

We will never sail on NCL and this will probably be DD's only cruise before 3 so hopefully it will all work out---she'll have a good time both in and out of the nursery and we will have a good time too.

They have a restroom designed for the little ones. No issues whether trained or not.

We were on the Oasis in June and were allowed 15-18 hours to begin with (can remember if it was 15 or 18). We were the second people to get in the nursery upon boarding to make appointments and that was very helpful.

They told us that week that there were 70 children onboard that were eligible to use the nursery, which was a high number according to them. After the first full day they opened up more time for us to book since not everyone eligible uses the nursery. Evening (dinner) times fill up quick as well as afternoons on sea days filled up quick.

We never felt that our kids didn't get the attention they needed. They have separate areas for play and napping. I forget what the max number of children they can have at any given time, I believe it was 4-6 children and there were always two workers.

)

We never felt that our kids didn't get the attention they needed. They have separate areas for play and napping. I forget what the max number of children they can have at any given time, I believe it was 4-6 children and there were always two workers.

I can assure you they allow more than 4-6 at a time in the nursery. Probably more along the lines of 12 or so.

I can assure you they allow more than 4-6 at a time in the nursery. Probably more along the lines of 12 or so.

That's good to hear. There were several times we wanted to use the nursery but they were full. We felt that the max number that was allowed in June was too low.

I must admit I am a little worried how the twins will cope to being in the nursery in the evenings as they are so used to going to bed at 6.30pm in their cots in a dark room with no noise! I'm just hoping they'll go to sleep ok! The other issue is we're from the UK so the time difference is going to completely mess them up and so I'm not sure when they'll actually sleep!!

Archived