Fantasy 5/15 review

nb1mom

Here is a brief review of our cruise on the Fantasy 5/15. This was my 7th cruise (all Carnival) I am in my 50's and I cruised with my 2 daughters one who is 28 (her 4th all Carnival) and 23 (her first cruise). Most of my cruises have been 7 day, this was only a 4 day and I feel that this was a big drawback. This is also in a letter that I sent to Carnival.

The positives: Working with Luis Possey, PVP, he was a delight. He called 2 days before the cruise to make sure we had everything we needed. Embarkation was the easiest I had ever encountered.

Our wait staff was excellent, even with our tablemates not showing up until 8:45 for a seating for 8:00.

Our cabin stewards were ok, but I found a pair of shoes under the bed that did not belong to any of us.

We took a tour through the ship to Peterson Cay for snorkeling and kayaking and it was terrific. There were only 12 of us on this tour, including the tour operator, Shamie, who was awesome. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone who is in good physical shape.

Debarkation was not as much as a nightmare as I have encountered before. We stayed on the 21st Century Boulevard and people watched.

Now for the negatives: Felt like the 4 day cruise was not as 'privileged' as the 7 day cruises, no past guest party, no mints on pillows, etc. At one of the talks Paul (cruise director) did the top 10 dumb questions and one was about the 'pat of butter on the pillow' joke. Many of the guests did not know what this meant and looked at each other funny questioning what it meant. I felt the ship was not as clean as it should be. There were several instances where the public bathrooms ran out of toilet paper, as did our stateroom on one occasion. Most of the hand dryers in the public bathrooms did not work.

My biggest complaint, however, is the cruiseline offered tour to the Blue Lagoon. This was advertised as a 45 minute ride each way with a complimentary drink and places to sit and hammocks. Well, the boat stopped at Paradise Island to pick up more than 150 college students who were on their senior trip. It was so crowded that many people had to sit on the floor, not to mention the fact that many of these students were already drinking alcohol and had carried it onboard. I also sincerely doubt there were enough life preservers on the boat. Well, this 45 minute ride took 1 1/2 hours! When we reached the Lagoon all the hammocks were occupied by those who had reached the site ahead of us. There were no chairs to sit on or to rent! When we went to get our complimentary drink we were told that they had stopped serving them already. The Bently students were offered a free lunch, the Carnival guests were offered lunch on a 'cash only basis! This was, by far, the worst trip we have ever been on.

All in all it was still a fun cruise, however, I feel that items like this are a real disappointment.

If anyone has a question, please feel free to write.

Thanks,

You complained in a letter to Carnival that it was only a 4 day cruise and not a 7 day cruise. Well, why didnt' you just go on a different ship and on a 7 day cruise? You knew before you went that it was 4 days. A lot of people who go on 4 day cruises are just trying out cruising for the first time and some can't get the time away to do a week.

As for the college students getting fed lunch, it was probably part of a package deal they paid for. Also, Carnival does not run the excursions, they just contract with the vendor.

BND, I never said that I thought it was a 7 night cruise. If you read my review you will see that I felt that those on the 4 night cruise did not get the same type of service that a 7 night cruise gives. The amount of nights taken should not impact the type of service that you will receive. I knew going in that it was an older ship and that it was only 4 nights. The reason I went on the 4 night cruise is my daughters didn't have the time for a 7 night and it was my youngest daughters first cruise and she wanted to try it out. I do feel, however, that the same quality of service should be given.

As for the college students paying for their cruise with their trip, yes, that may be so. We paid for a 45 minute ride and use of chairs and complimentary drinks. These were not given to us.

This is one reason I hesitated to write to this board. So many people on this board are so quick to pass judgement on others who write in.

BND, I never said that I thought it was a 7 night cruise. If you read my review you will see that I felt that those on the 4 night cruise did not get the same type of service that a 7 night cruise gives. The amount of nights taken should not impact the type of service that you will receive. I knew going in that it was an older ship and that it was only 4 nights. The reason I went on the 4 night cruise is my daughters didn't have the time for a 7 night and it was my youngest daughters first cruise and she wanted to try it out. I do feel, however, that the same quality of service should be given.

As for the college students paying for their cruise with their trip, yes, that may be so. We paid for a 45 minute ride and use of chairs and complimentary drinks. These were not given to us.

This is one reason I hesitated to write to this board. So many people on this board are so quick to pass judgement on others who write in.

Please reread your first paragraph. It reads like you're complainng about the lengthof the cruise. I can only garner what I can from how it reads. It's not a judgement, it was based on how you worded it. Thanks for your quick jump to that. So, people who complain only want atta boys (or girls)?

I also, would have been disappointed with the Blue Lagoon tour. We went in 1997 and if we ever go back to Nassau again, I would not do that tour. We were very disappointed even then.

I also did not read into your post that you were complaining about the length of the cruise. I agree the service should be the same no matter the length of the trip. We did a 3-day back in '97 and were really pampered. I can't wait until my cruise in December (also a 4-day on X). That's really going to get me excited about my 7-day next October. I will however expect the same level of service on both trips. I expect to be pampered.:D

You complained in a letter to Carnival that it was only a 4 day cruise and not a 7 day cruise. Well, why didnt' you just go on a different ship and on a 7 day cruise? You knew before you went that it was 4 days. A lot of people who go on 4 day cruises are just trying out cruising for the first time and some can't get the time away to do a week.

As for the college students getting fed lunch, it was probably part of a package deal they paid for. Also, Carnival does not run the excursions, they just contract with the vendor.

I took away from reading her comments as the guests on a seven day cruise aren't treated as well as passengers on the longer cruises with some of the amenities that were missing. I think the OP knew that she took a four day cruise. I think that she pointed both the good and bad.

BND, are you reading the same thing we are reading???? She obviously knew it was a 4 day cruise and she was NOT complaining that it was a 4 day rather than 7... maybe you should re-read it, and when you are done, read it again.

Nb1mom, I am sorry you were disappointed. I can imagine going from 7 day cruises to the shorter ones might be a little disappointing, but I can say that I have been on the shorter ones and experienced much better service than you did, so don't count out all of the shorter cruises... I can tell you that the short cruises on the Sensation are wonderful, and the service is just as good if not better than our 7 day!!! Good luck on your next cruise and thanks for your review!

Thank you all for jumping to my defense. I re-read my post and no where on my post does it state that I thought it was a 7 day cruise. Seems BND was a little too quick to slam me, it happens. And no BND, I didn't expect to be given an 'attagirl'. Just stating the facts of the cruise. My first 2 cruises were 3 nighters and I received a lot more pampering and a lot better treatment than we received on this 4 night cruise.

Once again thanks to those others who were able to read what I wrote and accept it for what it was.

Sorry your service wasnt up to par--we've been on the Fantasy many times and our only complaint was that it is too short!

Have had wonderful stewards, always left mints too. Dining room staff has always been great,

I too would have been disappointed with your tour...did you take the issues up with the pursor's office? Seems like they should have taken a little something off.

i am going on my first 4 day cruise in june and i am not expecting anything but for the ship to move and for the ship to have food on it........lol. i don't get chocolates on my pillows at home, i'll just be happy to have a pillow....lol.

thanks for the honest review. I am looking into booking a short cruise for March 06 - and I will also expect the great service you recieve on a longer cruise. I for one will choose a different ship.

thanks again....appreciate it.

Archived