QM2 - What shows and/or movies should we expect?

M-E-K

Sailing the November 20th TA on QM2, does anyone know, specifically, what type of stage shows or movies might be shown? We are so excited about the live classical/jazz music throughout the ship that we have heard about and are now wondering about the actual "shows" we may be treated to, as well. Are the stage shows mostly dancing and singing or are there plays also? Are the movies fairly current? Does anyone have an example of a daily on-board activities menu from a recent QM2 voyage that we could look at to get an idea?

You could always look on the Cunard website ;)

QM2 has a 3D cinema with pretty new movies and the shows are full West End/Broadway type shows. Sometimes they have RADA onboard who perform plays and run acting courses ( I did one last year ).

There is also a full programme of lectures as part of the enrichment activities. Quizzes are run daily and there are several pianists around the ship. The Golden Lion has karaoke etc on evenings.

Last week during our voyage, the movies included: Prometeus in 3-D, A Titans Movie in 3-D, Mirror, Mirror with Julia Roberts and Nathan Lane, and The Iron Lady with Meryl Streep. There were others I do not recall.

Illuminations is the venue for movies and it's quite good, and also contains the planetarium, which remains out of order. Many of the seats in the planetarium section of Illuminations recline when any pressure is placed on the seatbacks, so we avoid that area. (The planetarium seats are upholstered in dark red.)

You could always look on the Cunard website ;)

QM2 has a 3D cinema with pretty new movies and the shows are full West End/Broadway type shows. Sometimes they have RADA onboard who perform plays and run acting courses ( I did one last year ).

There is also a full programme of lectures as part of the enrichment activities. Quizzes are run daily and there are several pianists around the ship. The Golden Lion has karaoke etc on evenings.

Is this something new? I've never seen a b'way or west end kind of show on QM2. Last winter, we had lots of guest performers and some "production shows," but they weren't book musicals by a long shot.

Sorry. perhaps I should have said "west end style shows". This is direct from Cunard website: "Magnificent West-End style shows."

Oh, dear, is Mr Shanks telling porkies again??? You can't believe everything it says on the cunard website. The production shows aren't bad, but they are not at all like a West End or B'way show.

Oh, dear, is Mr Shanks telling porkies again??? You can't believe everything it says on the cunard website. The production shows aren't bad, but they are not at all like a West End or B'way show.

Well you would know, but since they only have an hour then of course it won't be like a full West End show. I think the key word here is "style".

THANKS...thats a handy pdf, where did you get that guernseyguy, ive tried to find it on the url but it keeps going through to a pdf i cant change to favourite it for the future cruises.....

I love Cunard BUT the production shows by the Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers are pretty much the same quality level as those I've seen on HAL, NCL, and Princess..

That is, closer to really tacky Las Vegas lounge quality than West End or Broadway

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The same shows have been "running" for 5-6 years, most were second rate when new.

Films, are very mixed bag. I enquired from Cruise Director on one cruise as to why they were showing children cartoon films when the ship passengers were 98% adults. He replied "we are sent a package of films , and we just pick out at random, we do not concern ourselves with the content".

There are films on the TV (this is a closed circuit) but on QM2 they refuse to print a list of the films showing on which channel at what time . You have to look at the menu on the TV in the morning, and scribble yourself a quick note viz "ChX at 8p.m" .

I do not know why QM2 has this arrogant attitude.

The same shows have been "running" for 5-6 years, most were second rate when new.

Films, are very mixed bag. I enquired from Cruise Director on one cruise as to why they were showing children cartoon films when the ship passengers were 98% adults. He replied "we are sent a package of films , and we just pick out at random, we do not concern ourselves with the content".

There are films on the TV (this is a closed circuit) but on QM2 they refuse to print a list of the films showing on which channel at what time . You have to look at the menu on the TV in the morning, and scribble yourself a quick note viz "ChX at 8p.m" .

I do not know why QM2 has this arrogant attitude.

I can understand that they are sent a package of films and have no control over what's in the packge, but they don't need to resort to choosing randomly. How hard can it be to choose a movie aimied at someone above the age of 8??? Or maybe the package of films is so small that they have to use them all to fill the time.

I don't know why they can't print a list of which movies are on which days, even if they don't do an hour-by hour schedule. At least provide a day-by-day list. They used to do that.

On the World Cruise last winter, QM2 held "film festivals," highlighting a different director each month. I think it was one director per month. I just know that for Feb it was Billy Wilder, one film each week. How great to see old movies on a big screen! Some Like it Hot, Sabrina, The Apartment. Great films, I hope the other months were as good. Wish they'd make that sort of effort to show some classic films. I looked at the list and there's nothing I particularly want to see. So I guess it's the theater and another look at "Hit me with a hot note" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Archived