St. Kitts railroad

techgirl502

It depends....

The railroad is an old narrow gauge plant that really was used to carry sugar cane from fields to crushing. The plant has been re-purposed as a tourist attraction running half way around the island. They have special two-level cars which are actually quite nice. The train of about 4-6 cars is pulled by a very small, apparently over-worked diesel switcher-type engine which I understand has recently had some mechanical problems. The train runs back from the island shore behind many of the shore-side settlements, giving you a look at the day-to-day life in the smaller, away from the big cities, towns.

If you like trains... or if you like seeing the 'back' of the usual... you will enjoy the approximately 4-hour trip. It isn't 'exciting' and it isn't fast-paced... but the DW and I found it very interesting.

Actually, I would say that the more I read about the train tour the more that I find the reviews to be about even between positive and negative. Considering the price of the tour, I just have not read anything that has been strong enough to push me to try it. We had a great tour with Thenford Grey for far less cost.

• 3 months later...

I went to their Web site, and they describe the tours, but they don't mention the cost. However, Carnival has it listed as a shore excursion, with the train/bus tour at $89/pp. Is that the only way to book it, or is it possible to book directly and get a better rate? As much as I'm interested in it, that price seems pretty high for what you get.

I went to their Web site, and they describe the tours, but they don't mention the cost. However, Carnival has it listed as a shore excursion, with the train/bus tour at $89/pp. Is that the only way to book it, or is it possible to book directly and get a better rate? As much as I'm interested in it, that price seems pretty high for what you get.

I believe that when ships are in port they have a lock on bookings. I agree it is a bit pricey but it also seems to be somewhat unique. If it makes you feel any better, RCI charges $99.00 per person.

The ships have the scenic railway tightly wrapped up with contracts. It has mixed review from those who love it and those who don't. Price wise, you get better value for money just doing an island tour where you get a more up close personal experience of St. Kitts for USD 20 per person.

We did the Rail and Sail combo through Celebrity a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. The train is slow, but there were lots of free drinks, a capella singers that went from car to car and a woman named Sweet Pea that did a great job narrating the trip. It is not exciting, but the weather was beautiful and we sat on top and enjoyed the view. The "sailing" part is really just a boat ride on a catamaran, but there were free drinks and the captain was informative. Wouldn't repeat, but had fun.

My husband and I went on this excursion several years ago while sailing on the Explorer of the Seas. We really enjoyed it. The scenery was beautiful and we liked seeing more of the island besides just beaches. Its a nice beach break excursion.

We did the Rail and Sail combo through Celebrity a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. The train is slow, but there were lots of free drinks, a capella singers that went from car to car and a woman named Sweet Pea that did a great job narrating the trip. It is not exciting, but the weather was beautiful and we sat on top and enjoyed the view. The "sailing" part is really just a boat ride on a catamaran, but there were free drinks and the captain was informative. Wouldn't repeat, but had fun.

Thanks, everyone! We decided to go ahead and book this through the ship -- not cheap, but sounds like it will be worth it. :cool:

Thanks, everyone! We decided to go ahead and book this through the ship -- not cheap, but sounds like it will be worth it. :cool:

Please come back and let us know your thoughts on it. I'm somewhat interested in doing this excursion too (with a train crazy child!)

Archived