2013 50% Off Land Discoveries (Shore Excursions)

taxjam

I decided to start a thread of its own for the 50% off 2013 Land Discoveries Issue. Quite simply, Azamara’s latest program renounces its published and promised 50% off 2013 Land Discoveries Program. Compare the following:

From Page 97 of Azamara’s 2013 Destination guide

Great savings opportunities

. . .

Save 50% on Land Discoveries® booked online no later than four days before sailing. Plan ahead and save half by booking Land Discoveries shore excursions online at AzamaraClub ************/LandDiscoveries at least four days prior to departure. This offer is not available once you board the ship.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/booking/download-our-brochures See also, pages 99 and 104

And publicized last year on Cruise Critic as shown by a couple of excepts:

From Bill Leiber post: "Also, to put your mind at ease, our new 2013 Destination Guide (US and Canada) includes the "50% Land Discoveries" savings program on pages 96 and 97. "

From Host Andy: "The good news is - the program will return for 2013. I truly hope it will be applicable in your case. Good Luck ! "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...overies+leiber

Compare to what Azamara is now saying:

In the meantime, the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program will be available for guests who book their Land Discoveries online at least four days prior to the 2013 sailing dates on following last voyages:

§ Azamara Quest - March 14, 2013, 13-night "Florida & Seville" Voyage

§ Azamara Journey - May 1, 2013, 14-night "The Highway from India" Voyage

Bill: My July and August 2013 are listed in the 2013 Destination Guide which contains the above reference to the 50% off Land Discoveries (Shore Excursions). I think a lot of people with cruises beginning after March 14th on Quest and May 1st on Journey have questions. Will Azamara honor its representation? Will Azamara allow all 2013 passengers booked prior to your big announcement date to utilize the 50% off shore excursion program?

Good idea to keep this separate as for some of us it relates to existing bookings for 2013 (booked in June 2012 for sailing June 3 2013).

I will also add that the UK site is STILL promoting LDS for 2013:

See http://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/news-and-offers/cruise-deals/

Book an Ocean View Stateroom between 1st October and 30th November and you’ll enjoy free or reduced flights to Europe on selected 2013 sailings. What’s more, enjoy 50% off our fabulous shore and land discoveries, low price single supplements and savings of upto £300 per cruise when you book a back-to-back sailing.

Plus you take advantage of our even more inclusive cruises, from 2013, where you’ll enjoy additional benefits like:

Inclusion of gratuities for all waiting staff, bartenders and housekeepers

Shuttle bus service to/from port communities

Open bars stocked with internationally branded beers, wines and spirits

An AzAmazing evening in port where you’ll enjoy longer and later stays.

And for the first time ever, we’ve guaranteed all our taxes and fees are included in the quoted price.

These incredible added extras will be available on all on Azamara Quest sailings from 27 March 2013 and Azamara Journey sailings from 15 May 2013.

and further down the page:

50% Off 2012 and 2013 Land Discoveries® when pre-booked online!

Nowhere on the UK site does it say that the LDS have been discontinued.

We are on a B2B2B starting May 2013 and would really love the 50% rate on tours. It is what we planned since it is what we used in 2012 and saw when we booked for 2013.

People are not giving the option that Azamara may be taking away the 50% off excursions booked prior and make all the excursions the 50% off rate across the board...everyone is assuming that Azamara is going to make the excursions the higher prices...I did not take the announcement to be this way, but rather that the new pricing would be at the 50% off rate all the time whether booked before or on board...

People are not giving the option that Azamara may be taking away the 50% off excursions booked prior and make all the excursions the 50% off rate across the board...everyone is assuming that Azamara is going to make the excursions the higher prices...I did not take the announcement to be this way, but rather that the new pricing would be at the 50% off rate all the time whether booked before or on board...

If so, why would Azamara say:

In the meantime, the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program will be available for guests who book their Land Discoveries online at least four days prior to the 2013 sailing dates on following last voyages:

§ Azamara Quest - March 14, 2013, 13-night "Florida & Seville" Voyage

§ Azamara Journey - May 1, 2013, 14-night "The Highway from India" Voyage

And, additionally, when listing all the so-called enhancements, why would Azamara forget to say that they decided to lower the prices on all their 2013 excursions by 50%?

I'm not clear as to why you interpret the announcement that way. It clearly (in my mind) states that the 50% option will be discontinued following the two specific Spring 2013 cruises identified in the announcement.

I was mailed the Destinations 2012 brochure from Azamara several months ago. Based upon the info contained within that mailing, which included 50% off Land Discovery tours if booked prior to boarding, I was enticed to pay a deposit and make a reservation for a September, 2013 cruise, which I did. If Azamara had reserved the right to eliminate that particular benefit, I do not find it in that booklet. It's almost as if, after buying a new car, the maker decides to shorten the warranty because it costs more that they anticipated. They cannot do it..that bus has left the station, and Azamara needs to grandfather us in. Incidentally, this is not the first time Azamara has tried to eliminate a benefit offered to us after we booked. Last year, we used Choice Air and the website clearly stated we'd be entitled to a free transfer from the pier to the airport. I contacted AZ 4 times. Three agents told me I was entitled, and one told me I was not. I wrote to Customer Service at AZ and I was told that another webpage indicated that Choice Air would not provide the transfer but due to the confusion faced by passengers, they would extend it to me for that particular trip.

Bill--you need to convey this to whomever: the Az cruise experience has been wonderful...but it's new policies and the manner in which those of us who have reservations after the Spring of 2013 have been treated is sleazy and unethical and we won't tolerate it. We are aware of what our resources are and how to publicize our concerns over our treatment. We urge Az to reconsider and do the right thing and honor it's commitment to us.

We have a b2b booked with AZ beginning July 2013 and we booked these cruises in June 2012.

We expect to enjoy the advertised shore excursion discount advertised at time of booking PRIOR to latest BIG announcement and if AZ does not honor the 50% off advertisement, We have the option of booking with private companies.

It is Azamara's choice at this time.

They can have our shore excusion business or not, makes no nevermind to us as we also have a choice and we will enjoy our trip regardless.:)

We have a b2b booked with AZ beginning July 2013 and we booked these cruises in June 2012.

We expect to enjoy the advertised shore excursion discount advertised at time of booking PRIOR to latest BIG announcement and if AZ does not honor the 50% off advertisement, We have the option of booking with private companies.

It is Azamara's choice at this time.

They can have our shore excusion business or not, makes no nevermind to us as we also have a choice and we will enjoy our trip regardless.:)

It is not that simple. For example, several of the ports on the Norwegian Fjords/North Cape cruise lack tourist infrastruture/operators so you will probably stuck with and gouged by Azamara unless AZ lives up to its representations.

It is not that simple. For example, several of the ports on the Norwegian Fjords/North Cape cruise lack tourist infrastruture/operators so you will probably stuck with and gouged by Azamara unless AZ lives up to its representations.

Perhaps, but it really is moot at this point as excursions or pricing has not been released for that particular cruise as of yet.

AZ could do like most retailers/businesses and mark up the excursion and slap a 50% off tag to satisfy the customer and still make the same amount of profit. They may already do that as far as anyone knows.

Maybe some good news I just hung up the phone with Erica at Azamara and we were going around and around and she explained to me that all the excrusions will be fully loaded for 2013 on October 15th and we can still book the 50% for any cruise in 2013 I did make her read what was written on their website but she told me that the last you can book the 50% is on March date for the Quest and for the May date for the Journey but after that no more.. Of course I am not sure how accurate that might be looking at how Azamara worded it. I asked her twice if she was sure and she said yes you can book the 50% off excrusions.So we will see if that is the real story or not come 10/15

I'm not clear as to why you interpret the announcement that way. It clearly (in my mind) states that the 50% option will be discontinued following the two specific Spring 2013 cruises identified in the announcement.

I was mailed the Destinations 2012 brochure from Azamara several months ago. Based upon the info contained within that mailing, which included 50% off Land Discovery tours if booked prior to boarding, I was enticed to pay a deposit and make a reservation for a September, 2013 cruise, which I did. If Azamara had reserved the right to eliminate that particular benefit, I do not find it in that booklet. It's almost as if, after buying a new car, the maker decides to shorten the warranty because it costs more that they anticipated. They cannot do it..that bus has left the station, and Azamara needs to grandfather us in. Incidentally, this is not the first time Azamara has tried to eliminate a benefit offered to us after we booked. Last year, we used Choice Air and the website clearly stated we'd be entitled to a free transfer from the pier to the airport. I contacted AZ 4 times. Three agents told me I was entitled, and one told me I was not. I wrote to Customer Service at AZ and I was told that another webpage indicated that Choice Air would not provide the transfer but due to the confusion faced by passengers, they would extend it to me for that particular trip.

Bill--you need to convey this to whomever: the Az cruise experience has been wonderful...but it's new policies and the manner in which those of us who have reservations after the Spring of 2013 have been treated is sleazy and unethical and we won't tolerate it. We are aware of what our resources are and how to publicize our concerns over our treatment. We urge Az to reconsider and do the right thing and honor it's commitment to us.

Just a thought really...Bill said that the excursions would be the same price whether booked on board or prior to the cruise...we assume it will be the higher prices, but I was just stating that it might be the other way around...I can't imagine anyone booking at the full (overpriced) price and can't imagine that AZ doesn't know this by the numbers booked on board...again, it was just a thought...

While it's certainly possible that Azamara intends to price shore excursions at less than the 100% on board prices of the past, I'd be very surprised if it will be at or near the 50% level. If they were going to do that, they would have announced that you no longer have to book online to get a lower price, because the excursions would be at that same price whether booked online or on board.

Perhaps they're finding that people who didn't book online at 50%, for whatever reason, are then refusing to book on board at the 100% price because they are miffed that others are getting the same excursions at half price. I will assure Azamara that no one will book a one-day tour of Rio with churrascaria lunch and drop-off at the airport for $389,:cool: the 100% price listed for our December 2 Atlantic crossing.

While it's certainly possible that Azamara intends to price shore excursions at less than the 100% on board prices of the past, I'd be very surprised if it will be at or near the 50% level. If they were going to do that, they would have announced that you no longer have to book online to get a lower price, because the excursions would be at that same price whether booked online or on board.

Perhaps they're finding that people who didn't book online at 50%, for whatever reason, are then refusing to book on board at the 100% price because they are miffed that others are getting the same excursions at half price. I will assure Azamara that no one will book a one-day tour of Rio with churrascaria lunch and drop-off at the airport for $389,:cool: the 100% price listed for our December 2 Atlantic crossing.

Very True! Although, we booked with Neyla (private tour) for 1 day in Rio on January 4th with pick up at GIG and it's $300...I'm hoping the $389 was for 2!

Very True! Although, we booked with Neyla (private tour) for 1 day in Rio on January 4th with pick up at GIG and it's $300...I'm hoping the $389 was for 2!

No. It's $389 for one at 100%. Booked online at 50% off, it's for two, and that's how we've booked it.

I try to organize or join private excursions wherever feasible. Last year in South America I wanted to do an excursion to Colonia from Montevideo which because of a 2.5 hour car/bus trip each way, I decided to do a ship's excursion rather than a private tour. Azamara's price $21O per person before the half price discount. After discount, the AZ Colonia tour cost $105 per person. By comparison, Celebrity did the identical tour/same tour provider/etc. - Celebrity charged $135. This was the fairly consistent markup/discount ratio from my casual comparison. I guess paying $105 for something Celebrity charges $135 is a "deal" but it is not a true 50% off. By comparison, if I had to pay the $210, I'd probably hide from shame in my 170 sq foot stateroom.

For those who look at Oceania, however, the seas may or may not be calmer on that side of the Ocean. On our Iceland/Greenland cruise, 21 nights, we did 5 private excursions and 8 ships excursions. Oceania had a deal - 25% off if you bought 8 excursions - so we did that because several of the ports had no tourist infrastructure and other issues. We paid about $105 per excursions. I would rate the excursions as follows: 2 horrible - we should have gotten our money back - 4 were very good and 2 were good (acceptable).

The issue for us, and the reason we are watching Azamara's handling of its recent policy changes is that Azamara's on board experience including its officers and crew greatly exceeded our expectations; Oceania's greatly disappointed.

Archived