Halifax and Bay of Fundy

I'm thinking about taking a Canada New England cruise on Celebrity in September 2013. I'm especially interested in seeing the Tidal Bore on the Bay of Fundy. The ship has a port call in Halifax from 830a to 600p. The ship has a tour that provides "photographic opportunities". Not sure what that means, but is it possible to see the Tidal Bore during the visit? I'm willing to take a private tour, but I really don't want to rent a car.

Thanks for any advice!

HubbieO

I'm thinking about taking a Canada New England cruise on Celebrity in September 2013. I'm especially interested in seeing the Tidal Bore on the Bay of Fundy. The ship has a port call in Halifax from 830a to 600p. The ship has a tour that provides "photographic opportunities". Not sure what that means, but is it possible to see the Tidal Bore during the visit? I'm willing to take a private tour, but I really don't want to rent a car.

Thanks for any advice!

HubbieO

To see the tidal you'll have to stop in St John's NB. Halifax isn't very close to the Bay of Fundy . It's actually across a peninsula from the Bay of Fundy.

There is a bridge over the river in Maitland where you can watch the tidal bore (boring imho!) and you can watch the rafting. That would be much more exciting. It depends upon the time of the tides and the time of year. Sometimes the tidal bore is just a tiny ripple of water.

If you tell us the date you will be in Halifax we can tell you the tide times.

Some of the ships offer an excursion to go rafting, but if you want to do this you save money by renting a car and booking it yourself as long as the times work out.

We did the rafting on the Shubenacadie a couple of years ago and had a blast. I am not sure what I expected to happen when the tide came in but it was a tiny little ripple of a wave that came in. It was fun to see a river form where it had been totally dry.

Thanks for any advice!

HubbieO

It's all based on the Moon on when and how big the Tidal Bore is. I've Kayaked on the Shubie River when it's been small waves 4-6ft. And when it's had big Waves 16-20 feet (only a week after the smaller waves). To go to one spot and see it, isn't all that impressive.

Here's a link to one of the Rafting Companies Tide schedule from this past September.

"http://www.shubie.com/tide01.html#September"

It's about an hour's drive from the City.

Saint John has a section of the River just a Couple of miles that drops quite a bit, crating some interesting Rapids. (No Tidal bore per se). They do offer Airboat rides in the Rapids.

With both, it's all Time dependant.

There is a bridge over the river in Maitland where you can watch the tidal bore (boring imho!) and you can watch the rafting. That would be much more exciting. It depends upon the time of the tides and the time of year. Sometimes the tidal bore is just a tiny ripple of water.

If you tell us the date you will be in Halifax we can tell you the tide times.

Some of the ships offer an excursion to go rafting, but if you want to do this you save money by renting a car and booking it yourself as long as the times work out.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. However, I'm coming to the sad conclusion that I will not be able to see the Tidal Bore, at least not the rather amazing sight I remember as a child. It made quite an impression on me when I was 8 years old. Maybe it was because of my youth that I was so impressed.

Anyway, I haven't booked the cruise yet, but if I did, the ship would be docked in Halifax from 0830am to 0600pm.

In Saint John you may be able to experience the dramatic tide changes such as by the Reversing Falls or in St Martins. There is quite a few places to experience the Bay of Fundy if you stop here. Check out http://fundytour.com and see the tide schedule charts for an idea. I have a list of places to check out while in Saint John on my other thread 2012 Guide for Saint John visitors. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Does any one know if it is possible to take an excursion to the Bay of Fundy from Halifax. We will be docked from 8:30AM to 6PM. I have been in touch with a tour guide that says it can be done and that the Bay of Fundy is only 90 minutes from Halifax.

Does any one know if it is possible to take an excursion to the Bay of Fundy from Halifax. We will be docked from 8:30AM to 6PM. I have been in touch with a tour guide that says it can be done and that the Bay of Fundy is only 90 minutes from Halifax.

What is your question? Verification of the guide yes it can be done and yes about 90 mins or less there are list of tour companies here

http://destinationhalifax.com/supplier/searchResults?category=6&keyword=&facility=&rating=&guestrooms=&meetingspace=&largestroom=&commit=Search

or Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g154967-Activities-c42-Nova_Scotia.html

Also check novascotia.com Most companies will do tour of Bay of Fundy, usually with Grand Pre, Wolfville and maybe winery?

As an infrequent tourist to NB/NS, I know I prioritised the Hopewell Rocks and Reversing Falls in NB rather than the NS side of the Bay - any ads about the bay I've seen focus on those, and whale watching trips.

Even if it's just the large tidal changes you want to see rather than a specific location, with just part of a day the timing of the tides might make it impossible for you to see what you want to... there are links already on here to tide tables, tidal bore locations etc. if that is what you want to see - just make sure any tour you sign up for will show you what's important to you!

Most likely any tour to see the Bay of Fundy from Halifax would go to the Wolfville area. Hall's Harbour is the nearby port on the bay. You can see the dramatic change in the tides there, but you would need to go twice or stay for several hours to see it. The time from full high tide to low tide is about six hours.

The best places in Nova Scotia (Burntcoat Head, Advocate Harbour) to see the tides are further away from Halifax and likely not suitable for a day trip.

Here is a really good website which explains the tides: http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/

Most likely any tour to see the Bay of Fundy from Halifax would go to the Wolfville area. Hall's Harbour is the nearby port on the bay. You can see the dramatic change in the tides there, but you would need to go twice or stay for several hours to see it. The time from full high tide to low tide is about six hours.

The best places in Nova Scotia (Burntcoat Head, Advocate Harbour) to see the tides are further away from Halifax and likely not suitable for a day trip.

Here is a really good website which explains the tides: http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/

Thanks everyone for the information. I checked with the guide we plan to use. He said we will go to an area called Hants Shore. He said Hall's Harbor is too far. Can anyone recommend a tour company that would go to Hall's Harbor from Halifax. I found one group (Great Earth Expeditions) but they only do it on Fridays. We will be there on a Wednesday!

Thanks everyone for the information. I checked with the guide we plan to use. He said we will go to an area called Hants Shore. He said Hall's Harbor is too far. Can anyone recommend a tour company that would go to Hall's Harbor from Halifax. I found one group (Great Earth Expeditions) but they only do it on Fridays. We will be there on a Wednesday!

Here are some from Destination Halifax members, so they are vetted and reputable.

http://destinationhalifax.com/visitors/things-to-do-in-Halifax

Trip Advisor here is review for Halls Harbour Tour with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154976-d2706014-Reviews-Tour_of_Halfiax_and_Peggy_s_Cove_Private_Tours-Halifax_Halifax_Regional_Municipal.html

You might consider contacting Great Earth Expeditions and see if they could arrange something on another day. I've been in touch with them about another tour they offer and they are quick to respond and very friendly.

I tried to find Hants shore on Google Maps. There does not seem to be a community by that name. Hants is one of the counties in Nova Scotia. There is a community centre called Hants shore. Burncoat Head is in Hants County. I think that whole shore area is called Hants Shore. Here is a map which shows this.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Hants+Shore+Community+Health+Centre,+West+Hants,+NS&daddr=Burntcoat,+NS&hl=en&sll=45.222726,-63.990861&sspn=0.245205,0.676346&geocode=FXutsAIdG4Us_CH2cWC3-gOqnyn_____PwRZSzH2cWC3-gOqnw%3BFZJnswIdOqUy_CmbS7UJaT1ZSzFgSPPGJDfyMA&oq=bur&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

I would be asking for a bit more information before taking this tour: where are you going? Will the tide be high or low or in between? Is there a wharf where you can see how high and low the tide goes? Will you be driving along the shore?

I tried to find Hants shore on Google Maps. There does not seem to be a community by that name. Hants is one of the counties in Nova Scotia. There is a community centre called Hants shore. Burncoat Head is in Hants County. I think that whole shore area is called Hants Shore. Here is a map which shows this.

The Hants Shore is along the Minas Basin from Windsor through Burlington, Kempt Head, Cheverie, Walton etc- certainly some great scenery but not the best area to get an idea of the magnitude of the tide.

Halls Harbour Wharf even if only see at low tide with boats sitting on the mud great example on the high tide they are afloat. You should discuss this with the guide you have. If he doesn't go to Halls Harbour get in touch with another company it's no more an hour and bits drive.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be talking to Ryan with Great Earth Expeditions regarding doing his tour on a Wednesday. He normally only does it on Fridays. He also said that since his normal tour is 8 hours, it would have to be shortened to fit the cruise time. I'll post to let everyone know how it turns out.

Archived