Excursions with teens in Montego Bay

chelspie

I'll be cruising on Spring Break with my teens and am wondering about excursions in Jamaica. My husband and I went to a beach in the Bahamas in May, and when he went to get a beer, I was approached by some guy about partying. I've heard that you can't go anywhere without being offered drugs. I was not crazy about Nassau because I didn't feel safe (written in another review at the time) and am not sure about an excursion alone with my teens. I am currently looking at the Irie Mon Beach Party which is pretty expensive for a beach day in the first place. I would not feel comfortable at all doing anything that wasn't a ship excursion, but I'm not even sure how I feel about that. Opinions on single women traveling alone with teens in this area? Thanks in advance for any input.

Stay on the ship! Or, if that is not appealing, I understand if you do an excursion, you are away from all the "vendors".

I hear the waterfall excursion is great, ziplines, too. When we were there, DW, DS (4) and DD (5), we took the bus to town and walked to the beach. We were offered everything you can put in a body, legal and otherwise, on the streets and on the beach. Even swimming in the water, my friend was offered the opportunity to partake in what that country is known for. No, not coffee. lol

We will do an excursion next time the ship shows up there and hope we are a little happier with that port.

Stay on the ship! Or, if that is not appealing, I understand if you do an excursion, you are away from all the "vendors".

I hear the waterfall excursion is great, ziplines, too. When we were there, DW, DS (4) and DD (5), we took the bus to town and walked to the beach. We were offered everything you can put in a body, legal and otherwise, on the streets and on the beach. Even swimming in the water, my friend was offered the opportunity to partake in what that country is known for. No, not coffee. lol

We will do an excursion next time the ship shows up there and hope we are a little happier with that port.

Thank you! I really don't have a problem with just staying on the ship. I think I could cruise to nowhere and be happy just with the cruising. Montego Bay is the first port on this cruise, so I thought after two sea days, we may want to get off, but I'd rather be safe and comfortable than sorry, and there's a lot to be said for the quiet ship the first day in port. Thanks again!

I'll be cruising on Spring Break with my teens and am wondering about excursions in Jamaica. My husband and I went to a beach in the Bahamas in May, and when he went to get a beer, I was approached by some guy about partying. I've heard that you can't go anywhere without being offered drugs. I was not crazy about Nassau because I didn't feel safe (written in another review at the time) and am not sure about an excursion alone with my teens. I am currently looking at the Irie Mon Beach Party which is pretty expensive for a beach day in the first place. I would not feel comfortable at all doing anything that wasn't a ship excursion, but I'm not even sure how I feel about that. Opinions on single women traveling alone with teens in this area? Thanks in advance for any input.

I was a little worried about Jamaica too, but just stick with a Carnival excursion and you will be fine. DH, me, and our 2 sons 12&14 are probably going to do the chukka 4X4. My kids have never been out of the country and I don't want to stop them from having a chance to get off the ship and explore a little bit. If your kids have been there, done that, then they might not care if they spend the day on the ship.

We were in Montego Bay in August and we booked a day at the Sunset Beach resort through Jamaica for a Day. It was AWESOME!

We were travelling with our 6 and 8 year along with my B&SIL and their 15, 17 and 19 year olds. We all had a great time! Food was good, staff was friendly, it is about a five minute cab ride from the pier and I never felt unsafe, nor were any of us approached by anyone during our whole stay!

They had kayaks and peddle boats (free!) to use in the ocean as well as a lazy river and waer slides. SO much fun!

We were in Montego Bay in August and we booked a day at the Sunset Beach resort through Jamaica for a Day. It was AWESOME!

Thanks for the info. I have checked out the Sunset Beach resort website and sent them an email about day usage offers. I will keep that in mind! Thanks, all.

Three years ago we went to Sunset Beach. There were 24 of us. 11 of those were teenagers. This was the kids favorite port stop. The kids still talk about it. We just made sure to get the right type of taxi (we actually had to have a bus) from the taxi area. He agreed to come back and get us at a prearranged time. They all had things to do. Some of the girls had a young man that was handing out life vest ask them if they wanted to have fun. They just told him he was gross and moved on. We had one of the dads go with them to return the items. He was not as friendly at that point. We felt like the day was well worth the money. The food was good not great. The snorkeling was awesome and the fresh water pools were refreshing. The only part that was truly "interesting" was the drive there. It was a good had by all. I hope you have an awesome time at whatever you chose to do.

Montego Bay is not a place to freelance, especially a gal alone with teenagers. The vendors are not just agressive, their rude and pushy. Other than a planned activity like those mentioned you may consider hiring a taxi for a tour of the island. (negoiate a price ahead of time. Should be around $35 per hour)

It has been a few years, but we did the bobsled/ Dunns River falls combo thru CCL. Teens would love the bobsleds. I believe the area is called Mystic Mountain. If I remember correctly. There was a chair lift to the top, ziplines, bobsleds ( like a mild roller coaster), gift shop, restaurant. We had a blast & felt safe with our CCL tour guide. I believe Jamaica is a place where you should go with an organized tour, whether that be cruise sponsored or not. Just my opinion tho. Have a great time- we loved Jamaica.

• 2 weeks later...

I would take the kids ziplining, or tubing, or climbing Dunns falls. Sure someone might offer some mj, but the kids won't have the opportunity to take advantage of it if they are with you! go check out the nature, and make some memories....jmho....

I wouldn't recommend roaming around Montego Bay if you are not familiar with the place. You'd probably be better off using a tour operator.

I would recommend Maxwell from Top Caribbean Tours, he offers very friendly services and his prices are affordable. You can checkout is website for more info - http://topcaribbeantours.com/

Additionally, you can checkout this article for some of the top tours in jamaica - http://www.squidoo.com/top-5-things-to-do-in-jamaica

Archived