Geckos island tours

OC PAT

I am very close to booking their 2fer atv/jetboat. We are big old folks who do not mind getting dirty( no pun intended) We meet their weight requirement but I'm a little concern. Will we be comfortable on the ATV's? What about the jet ski's? Will the steep paths make it difficult to hold on? I have found only positive reviews for this tours. Those of you that have booked it, do you have any pointers? We have always wanted to do something like this and I want to make it a positive experience! Thanks for your input.

I had a bit of a problem booking on their web site but that was because I am very computer limited. Still looking for pointers from those of you who have done this tour. Do we go near the drinking pig?

We did their ATV tour this past March and loved it! Although the incline does get steep at certain points I should think you will be fine. They are a great company that will do whatever it takes to ensure you have a terrific experience. Wish more cruises went to St. Croix so we could go back and do the tour again.

I had a horrid experience horseback riding in Mexico riding very steep dry hills. Let's just say that I'm known a Lady Godiva in that neck of the woods! So I have learn to exercise caution when I here steep inclines.

We were on STX for our annual vacation and tried Geckos tour for the first time last March. Loved it! But if you are concerned about inclines or whether this will work for you....I would call and talk to them. It's the slow season right now (they might even be closed) but I would try to have a phone conversation as they are very nice.

DH and I took their ATV tour two years ago and loved it. Some of the trail is a little steep but they are very cautious and informative. We loved it so much that we are taking the kids there in March. They are really nice people to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE Geckos. They are so nice and accomodating. I'm also, "big," and had no issue on the ATV which is actually very large accomodating up to 600 lbs. In all fairness though, I had my skinny sister on the back so I can't really judge how 2 big people would do.

I will tell you this. It was THE funnest thing I did on my cruise. But, as everyone else said, there are steep points and, if you happen to hit it when I did, after a rain storm, there are pretty deep holes in some areas.

I am an inner city girl and had never been on an atv and the worst I did was go too far to the right of the trail and end up leaning the whole machine to the right (aka towards the cliff) on two wheels! Well that and I missed one turn, wound up in very high grass and smoke was involved. HA! But, it was great. The guide, who was the owner, came back around and saved us both times and while it might sound not fun, it was hilarious. We had SUCH a great time.

I will be back in St Croix on the 11th of this month and he 10am is already sold out. Might grab the 2pm slot though and at $135 for a 2 person ATV, it is a deal. I have heard mixed reviews of the jet ski place/Rainbow Beach but I can't speak to that personally. However. Gecko? BIG THUMBS WAY UP.

You message was great. Fortuately, my husband will do all the driving. I am way too chicken. He's done motor cycles before so he's okay with the driving part. All I need to do is hold on. I think its going to be a great time on our last day on the cruise. We are really looking forward tio it!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from cruise that stopped in St. Croix on Nov 16th. We took the ATV ride with Gecko. Great time.

Only about 1 1/2 hours which was perfect length, some steep inclines, but nothing serious.

Hubby is pretty big guy and no one would confuse me with Twiggy :p, both of us qualify as AARP members. Great ride. Didn't feel unsafe at any time.

Great views and super nice folks!

P.S. Stop at Pier 69 which is right across from tour office. Some great pulled pork and the wings are pretty good too!

It sounds like we will do fine. I know we can not be the only old big farts that are interested so when we get back, I'll give my report. My family thinks I'm nuts but that's okay. You're only as old as you live.

It sounds like we will do fine. I know we can not be the only old big farts that are interested so when we get back, I'll give my report. My family thinks I'm nuts but that's okay. You're only as old as you live.

Exactly! Our friends and family thinks we're nuts too since we started doing some different activities when we cruise. So far we have parasailed, ATV's (twice), the X-rails in Cozumel (came back to pier covered in mud). We may be going down, but we are doing it with a fight!

Please let us know how it goes when you get back.

Safe travels.

• 3 months later...

Just did the ATV tour last Monday and had a great time. A little hilly but most people will be fine, lasted 1.5 hours which was perfect. Afterwards had a good lunch at Pier 69. Did not stay at the beach

• 2 weeks later...

We did the ATV tour as well. It was my wife and I and our two kids, 5 and 9. We got two machines and had a blast. All of our interactions with the owners were top notch. They are nice folks who originally came from Colorado. We met them easily from off the ship. Their directions on the confirmation email where spot on. They put us in a van for the ride to Rainbow beach (right near Rhythms at Rainbow Beach which is a beach bar with some other rental stuff). We were on the 12pm tour so decided on a little beach time and lunch just before our tour. The tour was great. Both my wife and I had little to no experience on a 4-wheeler, but these were very easy. You pick it up quick. Well worth it and would absolutely do it again if we visit again.

would you recommend the ATV for a pregnant lady. just found out that #2 is on the way so we are having to scratch scuba diving. I am in great health and pretty active, will be about 19 weeks on the cruise so not to huge yet! any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Did the 2-fer atv and jet ski last week, loved it, great guides...atv was really easy and fun, jet ski was great but wish our "area" was a bit bigger for that, whole day was really really good...strongly recommend, and for a bit more adventure....walk back to the boat via the beach

Archived