Husband throws another spanner in the works....

leeselee

The main risk of travel in hurricane season is not being able to go to the prearranged ports. They will sail the ship into the part of the Caribbean not affected by the storm. We have sailed during hurricane season for the past 8 years with no problems. With your extensive travel needs, I would get travel insurance. Have you considered doing a back to back. You could do 2 weeks on the Allure and get to see both the Western and Eastern Caribbeann.or 1 week on Oasis and then 1 week on Allure. The cruise line will pay for a hotel for the night in btwn if doing Oaisis/Allure.

AA and BA have direct flights to MIA. I'd stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale as you can board the Allure relatively early (11ish). When you come back, you can fly home the same evening. Both have late afternoon flights back.

It's a 7 night cruise, so I think that we would like to go a few days early and see the sights.

RC usually use BA who we quite like flying with now.

Thanks

Have you considered going in October half term? Then maybe you could do your August Med cruise as well lol!

We went in October 2010, and are going again in Oct 2013. We are lucky because we get two weeks for half term, so have been able to do B2B's each time, but because Oasis and Allure depart on Saturdays and Sunday's it is do-able in a week from the UK (especially Allure sailing on Sunday).

I've never been in August, and I don't think hurricane fear would entirely rule it out for me, but remembering how hot and humid it was in October, I can imagine that August is *really* humid. Different sort of heat to the Med, IME. Our favorite weather was actually when we went for Christmas and New Year, but that is MUCH more expensive. We paid about double compared to what we paid in October.

What with my daughter's A Level studies, I cannot imagine taking a holiday this time next year as she is piled up with studies this year.

Also, our business dictates us taking a main holiday in summer (as we are quieter) around a Bank Holiday (national holiday).

I'm glad to hear that you changed your mind about the seriousness of a hurricane. I always explain it like this: I live in Ft lauderdale and if there is a hurrican, I can't move my house, so I have to just take what comes. In a ship, they can steer away from the storm. No big deal. could things change (ports, etc.) yes, but don't those always make for an adventure and a fun story to tell later. Although there is no guarantee, the storm season has been very quiet for the last few years.

As far as Ft. lauderdale vs. Miami, I would suggest that you do some research and see what you want to do whilst you're here. Whichever area is more appealing to you is the one you should go to. Miami is 30 - 45 min from Ft. Lauderdale. As far as the heat, yes it is very hot, but you will be leaving Florida and be on a cruise. Sea breezes and the caribbean. Will it be cool? no. But between air conditioning and sea breezes, it's better than Ft. Lauderdale in August. Come on down!

Thinking that Greece could be 'closed' for the past three years has never put us off. What with their financial problems and violent demonstrations, we did think the ship could be diverted, but we just went and enjoyed it. For those still wondering - we did not encounter any problems in Athens at all.

The more I think of it, the more I want to do it. I cannot possibly imagine what the Allure is like. It seems as big as the street I live in! ;)

They once flew me to MIA with Virgin.....

Linda,

we are SO unhappy with Virgin - we have flown every class and they have down hill so much in recent years. Last year coming back from NY, we all swore never again with Virgin.

I certainly hope that from Heathrow, BA would always be the first choice for RC. For us, we have noticed BA have greatly improved for domestic and international.

Not saying that you *should* book your own flights - everyone has their own comfort level for doing stuff like that - but just check the price with and without air and compare what you could get flights for yourself - for example, Royal Caribbean would have charged us £750pp for flights, and we can get them via Expedia for closer to £500pp. That's a big difference.

That would be lovely! How nice of you.

I am still throwing this argument back and forth with my husband and daughter.

I sent an email to my RC rep who is at a cruise expo this weekend, we will talk Monday and make a decision.

I will be back in touch if we book

Lisa :)

I hope you book it! We are in the same boat...being tied to our children's

schedule restrictions and so are a lot of people, making the summer the most popular time to travel (someone correct me if I am wrong). I have been to Florida in August many times and actually prefer it to other months. Have never been to the Carribean, however but reading some of the responses it seems things can work out sometimes better than what we plan. I would take the hurricane season over traveling December-February and coming home to snow and ice.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful time.

L.

I hope you book it! We are in the same boat...being tied to our children's

schedule restrictions and so are a lot of people, making the summer the most popular time to travel (someone correct me if I am wrong). I have been to Florida in August many times and actually prefer it to other months. Have never been to the Carribean, however but reading some of the responses it seems things can work out sometimes better than what we plan. I would take the hurricane season over traveling December-February and coming home to snow and ice.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful time.

L.

Having spoken to my RC sales advisor, I think it is best we give this a miss.

The flights (very over inflated at this time of year) and the uncertainty of weather kind of rules this out.

We have such appalling summers at home, we crave sunshine, guaranteed for at least 90% of the holiday, not just hoping and praying.

We will look into going on the Allure maybe later in the year as we have already made plans for Easter.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

:)

Archived