Husband throws another spanner in the works....

leeselee

Story so far.....

We were booked on Serenade for the same 12 night med cruise for Aug 2013 as we took this year

Since booking, we have decided we want something new

Last night I posted some questions regarding other med cruises

Tonight my husband came from nowhere with "I think we would love a Caribbean cruise on the Allure" :eek:

now I really need some help...... please help or point me in the right direction. I had never considered going out of Europe and on the biggest ship! goodness.

ok, so.....

1) going for 7 nights from 18 August, are we safe from storms and hurricaines?

2) I see a GS is slightly smaller, is a crown loft a must have?

3) in a suite, which is considered best floor and am I still good with mid ship?

4) we would have to come a few days early, is it best tostay in Fort Laud or is Miami close enough to be a possibility?

5) my family is myself, husband (mid 40s) and our 16 year old daughter

what else should I be asking?

In response to #1, August is right in the middle of Hurricane season. The Allure cruise that left August 19, 2012 had to spend two extra days at sea due to Hurricane Isaac. That said, most cruises can avoid bad weather, although you may miss certain ports or end up on an alternate itinerary.

Story so far.....

We were booked on Serenade for the same 12 night med cruise for Aug 2013 as we took this year

Tonight my husband came from nowhere with "I think we would love a Caribbean cruise on the Allure" :eek:

now I really need some help...... please help or point me in the right direction. I had never considered going out of Europe and on the biggest ship! goodness.

ok, so.....

1) going for 7 nights from 18 August, are we safe from storms and hurricaines? pretty close to the height of hurricane season, but ships are normally able to go around them

2) I see a GS is slightly smaller, is a crown loft a must have? Depends on what you are used to

3) in a suite, which is considered best floor and am I still good with mid ship?

4) we would have to come a few days early, is it best tostay in Fort Laud or is Miami close enough to be a possibility? Miami is an option, not to far away and better flights from Heathrow

Enjoy your cruise

Story so far.....

ok, so.....

1) going for 7 nights from 18 August, are we safe from storms and hurricaines?

2) I see a GS is slightly smaller, is a crown loft a must have?

4) we would have to come a few days early, is it best tostay in Fort Laud or is Miami close enough to be a possibility?

In response to your post here are some thoughts from a Southerner for what its worth...

1) Hurricane season runs from June through November, with August through October historically being the peak months. June, July are pretty safe bets as are late October and November. Having said that there is no gurantee that you will sail into a hurricane in August, it just depends on the season. INSURANCE!!!!!

2. Unsure

3. My rule is usually mid to mid...Midships and mid way up

4.Miami is approx. 1 hour from Lauderdale

Misc: August is hot. In the South July and August are lovingly referred to as the "Dog Days of Summer" In ancient times there was a period when Sirius the Dog Star rises and sets with the sun. That 40 day period was thought to be the hottest time of the year and so the ancients called that period the Dog Days of Summer. To us it is not that hot, just uncomfortable . The temps can make it to the high 90's and low 100's with high humidity. Coming from London it might be a touch war. June is usually a pleasnat month and hurrican chnaces are reduced.

In response to #1, August is right in the middle of Hurricane season. The Allure cruise that left August 19, 2012 had to spend two extra days at sea due to Hurricane Isaac. That said, most cruises can avoid bad weather, although you may miss certain ports or end up on an alternate itinerary.

That would also be my reason for NOT booking any Caribbean cruise in August!

Most of the time the ship can avoid the really bad weather when at sea ... BUT you have to deal with getting to the ship -- cancelled flights and bad driving conditions! Then you have to get back home. :eek:

LuLu

~~~~~

I'd rather not have to navigate more stairs in the CL....a GS should be fine, or you could do an OS, if you feel a GS isn't large enough.

Just because it's "hurricane season" doesn't mean there will be storms at all...or high seas or any of the commonly worried about things! It will be VERY hot and HUMID....that just comes with the territory!

Ft. Lauderdale is where the ship ports....10 mins. from airport to port. If you'll be there a few days early, rent a car, so you can explore. The Miami area is fairly easy to drive and a rental will cost A LOT less than cabs or other means, if you have time to spend in the area.

THe GS on Allure will be only a very little smaller than on Serenade or any Voyager or Freedom class ship. I wouldn't pay for the difference for a Crown Loft suite. We just stayed in a GS on Oasis. I would choose another time. The ports and Florida will be very hot and humid. The last two weeks of August and the first two weeks of Sept. are the high point of hurricane season. As others have said, travel insurance is a must. And the concern really is getting to and from the ship via air. If you can board the ship, the ship will stay safe. Whenever you choose to go, renting a car is a good suggestion, tho', as you know, we drive on the "wrong" side of the road! I don't think Miami is as much as an hour from Ft.Lauderdale. We have flown into FL airport and taken a shuttle to the port of Maimi ,and that took about 30 minutes.

Story so far.....

1) going for 7 nights from 18 August, are we safe from storms and hurricaines? As others said, that is a higher possibiliity time frame, but if you are coming in a few days ahead, and get insurance coverage, should not be a show stopper

2) I see a GS is slightly smaller, is a crown loft a must have? While the stairs issue is a point, I would add that the second bathroom in the CL is a positive if you are travelling with a teenage daughter. And she can sleep on sleeper sofa downstairs giving you some separation/privacy upstairs

3) in a suite, which is considered best floor and am I still good with mid ship? Matter of choice. Deck 12 is under ppol deck, possible negative. deckl 8 is central park level, amny like that. Suite choices on the Oasis class are somewhat limited to mid/midaft locations

4) we would have to come a few days early, is it best tostay in Fort Laud or is Miami close enough to be a possibility? Miam as noted only about 40 miles away, give yourself time to get to Miami airport on your return flight

what else should I be asking? Once you book, you will then want to ask about (or research on these boards) about the many entertainment and dining alternatives, most of which you can (and probably should) book ahead of time. they usually open for booking somewhere around 90-120 days out so time for that stuff later.

bobj

In our last six years of sailing in August, we've had three completely uneventful cruises, and three weird ones: one was a complete re-route (eastern to western); one tied up in Nassau and went nowhere for two days until the storm passed, and one we were shuttled on a 3-hour bus ride from PC to PE because the ship couldn't enter PC (silted in). However, the weather wherever our ship actually went was great:)

Thanks everyone.

it has put me in a down mood as we really wanted to make this work.

I'm British we do noting but talk about and complain about weather. But I never have to worry about hurricaines

Heat is fine. the last three years with RC have all been Greece and Turkey, very very hot

I am sure that we would be safe on the ship, but I don't fancy travelling so far away from home for hurricaines that I watch in horror on the TV each year :eek:

we wanted to experience the Allure, but are tied at present to school holiday dates. That means August

back to the drawing board maybe

1) The Atlantic hurricane season is generally from early June to late November. In August you are in the middle of it. However you have put a perspective on this. Although there is a risk of disruption, it is a fairly low one. Ships itineries will be adjusted if any part of the voyage is likely to be severely disrupted.

2) Any suite is going to be nice, but the Crown loft is a unique feature to this class of ship. Not only two bathrooms (one with triple head shower, neither with a tub,) but also private (seapass entry) corridor on deck 17. The views from these suites on the side of the ship are great, and especially so in port where you look down on the pool decks of other ships. The loft gives the suite a "two room feel" with a large sofa bed on the downstairs level and a large wall mounted TV. Upstairs there is the bedroom area, dressing area and a retractable roof mounted TV. Expensive rooms for a 7 night cruise, but well worth trying at least once in a lifetime.

3) I am bound to say deck 17! However I doubt there are any really bad locations as far as suites are concerned.

4) I think this depends on where you want to be, and what you want to do pre and post cruise. You can rent a car in Miami and drop it off at Fort Lauderdale without any particular problem. The Fort lauderdale airport has a large adjacent and covered car rental area. There are frequent courtesy buses laid on by the car rental companies from the airport to the cruise ship terminal which is about 10 minutes away. Flights from London to Miami generally arrive mid to late afternoon, which leaves time to get to Fort Lauderdale (about an hour away) and be where you next want to be, without arriving too late. Plenty of hotels in all price ranges near the port and many of them run shuttle buses to the cruise terminal. Similarly flights back to the UK tend to be late afternoon into the evening, so there is plenty of time to get from Fort lauderdale to Miami, leaving at the standard hotel check-out times.

You indicated that you are going for 7 nights. I am not sure how long your overall stay is, since the cruise itself is 7 nights? Obviously you would be arriving at least the day before. One thing you might want to consider is the October (Half term holiday) although only a week, you could do the Oasis voyage which leaves on a Saturday within this period, or if you can arrange a few extra days either ship with a day or two either side. The weather is a little cooler then (although usually still quite warm.)

Whenever you go, I wouldn't stress too much about hurricanes. Disruption is always a possibility, but it wouldn't sway me too much, (no pun intended.) :)

I have not yet been put off - even when I typed in 'hurricane' as a search on the CC forum posts and read lots of them! :D

Assuming the ship gets to sea, I think the most important thing is insurance.

One of the ways I deal with this on a Med cruise (you never know what can happen) is that I book my flights with RC and they will do their best to get us home at their expense if things go horribly wrong.

We have had some experience of RC going above and beyond as we do everything direct (including excursions, where they have reimbursed us and got us to an excursion by cab at their expense).

I called a sales adviser today and asked if they could do something like a cruisetour for a 7 day sailing, getting there a few days in advance, hotel etc. Cruisetour information is readily available for Europe, Alaska, etc, but nothing is offered online for Caribbean cruises.

The sales adviser said that it was something they could arrange over the phone only, not online.

So, if I wanted to go the RC way - book flights to and from, hotel and cruise - what EXTRA insurance (apart from my travel/health insurance) should I be looking into?

Thanks again, always invaluable help.

Hi there,

If you are insured with one of our really good travel insurers you shouldn't need anything else. I certainly have an annual policy which I feel is more than adequate for the US.

I never imagined that I would be so excited about a Caribbean cruise but after experiencing Navigator last year I couldn't wait to return and enjoy other ports of call. So very different to Europe and yet you find places like St Kitts where they drive on the left!!! ;)

AA and BA have direct flights to MIA. I'd stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale as you can board the Allure relatively early (11ish). When you come back, you can fly home the same evening. Both have late afternoon flights back.

Have you considered going in October half term? Then maybe you could do your August Med cruise as well lol!

We went in October 2010, and are going again in Oct 2013. We are lucky because we get two weeks for half term, so have been able to do B2B's each time, but because Oasis and Allure depart on Saturdays and Sunday's it is do-able in a week from the UK (especially Allure sailing on Sunday).

I've never been in August, and I don't think hurricane fear would entirely rule it out for me, but remembering how hot and humid it was in October, I can imagine that August is *really* humid. Different sort of heat to the Med, IME. Our favorite weather was actually when we went for Christmas and New Year, but that is MUCH more expensive. We paid about double compared to what we paid in October.

I'm glad to hear that you changed your mind about the seriousness of a hurricane. I always explain it like this: I live in Ft lauderdale and if there is a hurrican, I can't move my house, so I have to just take what comes. In a ship, they can steer away from the storm. No big deal. could things change (ports, etc.) yes, but don't those always make for an adventure and a fun story to tell later. Although there is no guarantee, the storm season has been very quiet for the last few years.

As far as Ft. lauderdale vs. Miami, I would suggest that you do some research and see what you want to do whilst you're here. Whichever area is more appealing to you is the one you should go to. Miami is 30 - 45 min from Ft. Lauderdale. As far as the heat, yes it is very hot, but you will be leaving Florida and be on a cruise. Sea breezes and the caribbean. Will it be cool? no. But between air conditioning and sea breezes, it's better than Ft. Lauderdale in August. Come on down!

My husband, daughter (also 16 at the cruise date) and I are also

booked on The Allure for Aug 18th. Maybe we can meet up and introduce

the girls so they can have company in the evenings. How nice would that be?

LEB

That would be lovely! How nice of you.

I am still throwing this argument back and forth with my husband and daughter.

I sent an email to my RC rep who is at a cruise expo this weekend, we will talk Monday and make a decision.

I will be back in touch if we book

Lisa :)

Archived