DAWN PRINCESS need info and tips

leeuwarden

:) we just booked on the dawn, haven sailed with princess in about 10 years, we loved the old dawn. We will be sailing 12-10-2005 roundtrip from san fransisco/mexico:cool:

Looking forward to your reply's

christina

We have been on the Dawn Princess twice in the last two years and have stayed in a mini-suite on the Baja deck both times. We are planning to cruise on the Dawn again next May for the Mexican Rivera and will again book a mini-suite.

The ship is in wonderful condition and the support staff is constantly doing painting, cleaning, laying new carpet, etc. The ship is what we call a ‘perfect’ size for our style of cruising and will miss the Sun Class of ships when they are replaced by the mega-ships and we hope that isn’t any time soon.

We have never had a bad meal yet on the Dawn. The food choices are many and its fun to experiment with dishes that one would not normally have readily available when at home. It is especially true for dinner that if you are not pleased for any reason with your food, let your waiter know and it will be replaced without question. If there are several entrées on the evening menu that you would like…………just ask and will be yours. The idea is that you have paid good money for your cruise and you should enjoy it to the fullest and that includes eating to your hearts content.

As we have only stayed in a mini-suite and can only speak to its pluses. The cabin is double in size to a standard room. There is a living room with small table, chair and light. Also small sofa that converts to a pullout bed along with a one person chair both of which I believe are leather. There is a small glass top coffee table that is oblong in shape and can be rotated in any direction. In the corner is a cabinet that holds a color TV, counter area for your liquid refreshments and a refrigerator on the bottom that is hidden behind a cabinet door.

Bedroom area has a queen bed, two end tables with swivel lamps above and a separate table with chair and large mirrors. There is also an adequate walk in closet with plenty of storage area and hangers.

Bathroom is divided into two sections. One section includes the toilet and sink with a door to separate the area from the living room entry and the shower/tub area. The second portion of the bathroom has a glass/marble walled shower and separate tub/whirlpool bath. CAUTION: If you use the tub……….do not pull on the string hanging from the wall next to the stained glass mural……..its an emergency signal and a member of the cruise staff will be calling or stopping by your cabin to check on your status. Let’s just say the wife and I were rather embarrassed if you get my drift………..LOL.

We did learn that if you are going to attend any of the shows you need to get there early. The venues are not large by any means and they fill up pretty fast. We would arrive usually 30 minutes before show time and were always able to find a good seat. Wait until show time and you would not have a place to sit. Just beware.

I’m sure I have missed one thing or another so feel free to ask questions and I will answer the best I can. I know others have had positive/negative things occur to them while on the Dawn but we are personally satisfied cruises with the Dawn Princess and Princess in general.:p

Sorry but I forgot to mention the balcony area. It is also double the standard outside balcony. You go onto the balcony by using either of the two sliding glass doors which are located either in the living room or bedroom area. The balcony has two lounge chairs along with a small two person table with two chairs. Its a perfect place to just relax and take in the sights.

Also one more comment about the living room and bedroom area. There is a curtain that can be drawn closed to seperate the two areas. The bedroom also has a small color TV w/remote and safe located in a small corner cabinet.

leeuwarden - We will be on this cruise with you. This will be the second time we have sailed the Dawn. She is a beautiful ship - sister to the Sun. We have enjoyed both ships very much. hawgwildterry is right - the mini suites are wonderful. We sailed in a suite on the Sun, but have had regular balcony cabins in the Dawn and they are very nice too. Having cruised on grand class ships as well, I prefer the Sun class - smaller and fewer passengers. Looking forward to seeing you on board. :)

We had an Oceanview mid on the Dawn. It was comfortable, with a small bathroom which didn't bother us, but might be of concern to others. We lucked out in having a great steward- so that was super! The room was very clean and well cared for.

The food was very good- Personal Choice was our choice. We had dessert every night, which we don't at home, and enjoyed the Chocolate Torte Cake, Cheesecake, Ice Cream, and Yam Pie-among others. At lunch one day we had Swans on a Pond which I would like to have again! The entrees were good too- yum.

The Dawn is a great ship- just our experience.

Just got off the Dawn a week ago and she is still a great ship. If you look closely there are spots where she is showing her age but all in all a lovely place to spend a week or two. Enjoy your cruise on my favorite ship.

Sailing out of San Francisco is an experience in itself.

Try to be on deck, port side, for sailaway, for good views of Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Fort Mason, The Presidio and Crissy Field, and Fort Point, under the approaches of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Starboard side gives views of Alcatraz Island, Angels Island, and the Marin headlands.

If it is a nice day, pedestrians on the Golden Gate Bridge are likely to be waving Bon Voyage to you, and if you have the right Captain, he'll give a mighty blast of the ship's whistle (horn) in return salute. (That makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!)

Was on the Dawn this winter and we have booked again for March 10,2006 sailing to the Meican Rivera..

Ship was great, crew nice and food good. Did PC dinning our waiter and his gang of cohorts were the grates..we requested their tables from the 3rnd night on.

You will enjoy!!:cool:

I have tried to get info on this before but no luck - maybe this time! Can anyone tell me on the 10 night Mexican Riviera cruise (September) what is the itinerary of special nights.

Eg Captains Dinner

2nd formal night

Special theme nights - what are they likely to be?

Thank you for any help

Personal Choice dining works just like a restaurant. You can show up whenever you want and wait for a table or you can phone ahead earlier in the day and make a reservation. We were on the Dawn last winter and usually dined in a group of six to eight. By phoning ahead, we never had to wait more than a few moments and, because we had particularly good service from one pair of waiters, we were able to be seated in their section several times.

We found that PC dining gives you the flexibility to adjust to whatever you decided to do during the day. If you were off on an excursion you didn't necessarily have to rush to dinner, or if there is a show you really wanted to see, you could schedule your dinner accordingly.

Archived