Any damage to labadee beaches from hurricane Sandy?

chloes_mom

I have no particular news about Labadee, but Sandy didn't even hit there. Labadee is in Haiti, on the island of Hispaniola. Sandy didn't hit Hispaniola at all, just Jamaica, Cuba, and the Bahamas. I think Labadee was about 200 miles away from Sandy at it's closest pass, so I wouldn't expect much damage there.

I agree with above poster. Any time I hear about hurricanes in the Caribbean I worry about Hati.

We were at Labadee yesterday. I will admit I was in a cabana at Barefoot beach and didn't wander out much past there but when I did it didn't look different than when I was there in December. To my eye the cabanas looked the same - all were being used so I'm assuming they were all still deemed structually sound. The only possible difference and this could possibly be memory is the sand didn't seem quite as packed down in places as it was in December. The cabana attendants all seemed happy (but could just be their happy faces for work days) and hard working. Didn't get a chance to ask them if the storm had come near their homes. Amazing memory they have. Saw the attendant we had June of 2011 and he came running to give us a hug.

I agree with above poster. Any time I hear about hurricanes in the Caribbean I worry about Hati.

We were at Labadee yesterday. I will admit I was in a cabana at Barefoot beach and didn't wander out much past there but when I did it didn't look different than when I was there in December. To my eye the cabanas looked the same - all were being used so I'm assuming they were all still deemed structually sound. The only possible difference and this could possibly be memory is the sand didn't seem quite as packed down in places as it was in December. The cabana attendants all seemed happy (but could just be their happy faces for work days) and hard working. Didn't get a chance to ask them if the storm had come near their homes. Amazing memory they have. Saw the attendant we had June of 2011 and he came running to give us a hug.

Thank you so much for the update! So many people say they will, and then forget. I'm glad to hear the above poster said Sandy didn't even hit Haiti. I thought I heard that it was headed their direction. They have enough to deal with. Sounds like you had a great time! only 3 more weeks and I'll be there!

An update to the previous post. I was talking to one of the officers onboard. He said that there was some beach erosion on labadee (?) beach (the one the zip line goes over) which exposed some rocks. This meant that more people went to Columbus beach. Since I didn't walk around to Columbus beach it explained why it didn't seem as crowded this year with the same two ships in port as it did in December. I think I'm correct in saying that he didn't think there was any other damage. The beach erosion backs up my thought about the sand feeling "sandier." The last couple times we've been there it has been packed down so well in many places that it hasn't been difficult to walk on. This time it was more typically sand in places.

You're welcome about the update.

An update to the previous post. I was talking to one of the officers onboard. He said that there was some beach erosion on labadee (?) beach (the one the zip line goes over) which exposed some rocks. This meant that more people went to Columbus beach. Since I didn't walk around to Columbus beach it explained why it didn't seem as crowded this year with the same two ships in port as it did in December. I think I'm correct in saying that he didn't think there was any other damage. The beach erosion backs up my thought about the sand feeling "sandier." The last couple times we've been there it has been packed down so well in many places that it hasn't been difficult to walk on. This time it was more typically sand in places.

You're welcome about the update.

Thank you for your post.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Archived