What to do in Seattle?

Bizzyma

My husband and I willl be sailing on the Diamond Princess this Saturday, May 28th. This is our first 7 night cruise and I am really excited although I am a little nervous having read some negative posts regarding the Diamond. When we return the following Saturday we are planning on staying the night in Seattle and flying home on Sunday. Does anyone have any suggestions about what we could do in Seattle on Saturday? We have never been there but have heard it is a great city. Also, does anyone have any restaurant suggestions? Thank you!

Where are you staying, in town or near the airport??? The Space Needle is good, of course! Experience Music Project is said to be good, and I hope to see it next week when we're in Seattle. Pike Place Market is always fun! Watch them throw the fish, for packing to take home! :D We're taking the Duck Tour while we're there.

Not familiar with restaurants, sorry. Oh, everyone seems to like Ivar's for seafood!

Seattle is a wonderful place to spend an evening. Hang out in the downtown area and there is everything from the Space Needle and great views of the Puget Sound to great jazz clubs in Pioneer Square. Seattle has wonderful art, great restaurants and a style all of its own. Check out my Seattle page for some Seattle news and information at http://ccins.camosun.bc.ca/~handley/travel/seattle/index.htm

Also, there are some hits at the Alaska Cheat sheet at

http://www.members.shaw.ca/blamar/travel/alaska/alaskaCheat.htm

Happy travels

There is a great posting started in the Alaska section - I think the original post is a question about renting a car in Seattle...

There is so much to do here. Have fun. If you are coming in early enough on the 28th you could go to the Folklife Festival at the Seattle Center or stop at the Pike Place Market for their festival this weekend (the festival name escapes me at the moment).

*Just found the thread in this section: Car Rental Seattle Port- Princess Terminal 30

You must go on the Underground Tour in Pioneer Square. It is great! We were just there a couple of weeks ago. You learn all about the history of Seattle - takes ~1.5 hours. Very funny guides and really interesting. There is a web page if you do a search. Costs $10/adult. It was far, far more interesting than the Space Needle.

The Space Needle is okay - good views and it's nice to know you've done it, but the Underground Tour is pretty neat! Great history lesson and kinda creepy too. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Just make sure you go first thing in the morning, as it gets hot REAL quick down there even though they have fans.

We also really enjoyed the Aquarium. It's small and very personable. Got to "shake hands" with sea urchins. We saw some adorable sea otters and learned a lot there too.

The Air & Space Museum is neat also. If you pay extra, you can go see Airforce One and the only Supersonic jet in the West - Air France's Concorde.

The Museum itself is interesting, especially the kids section. I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids.

There are some wineries not far from Seattle too, although the one we went to wasn't air conditioned and it was very uncomfortable in very hot weather.

The Spirit of Washington's dinner train was a unique experience. Get the dome car if you do this. Food was good, train was rocky, but again, a unique thing to do.

I am with dirtgirl--do the Underground Tour. You pick it up in Pioneer Square, right in the midst of restaurants and antique shops. Plan on walking underground (duh) over uneven terrain, but it is a hoot.

If you are interested in architecture, the new Central Seattle Library designed by Koolhaas is breathtaking. Its like a building, art piece and science project combined into one and its FREE! They offer daily tours.

I like the underground tour too. Space needle only if its a really gorgeous day. Definately stroll the Pike Place Market. Would not suggest the Art musuem right now as the expansion has left only a few exhibitions. Oh, if you like zoos, the Woodland Park Zoo is amazing.

Restaurants:

Downtown: Dahlia Lounge, my favorite restuarant in seattle, features elegant northwest fusion food, their triple coconut cream pie is INSANE!!!! For Italian the Pink Door is romantic and has a quirky, charming setting with solid pasta and wine choices. For Asian Wild Ginger offers Pan Asian in a stylish setting. All are downtown.

Have fun!

Grayline also does a city tour aboard a double decker bus, I am sure the Westin will have information on that. Also just an fyi, the weather here in Seattle is warm today and tomorrow (in the 80's:) ) It is suppose to cool a little over the Memorial weekend (into the 70's). Not sure about next week, but if it is hot and you go to the Seattle Center, there is a huge fountain that the kids can run through. It is a blast to sit and walk all the fun they have.

Seattle also has the water taxi running now. http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/oto/water_taxi.html you can catch it on the waterfront and take it over to West Seattle where you will get some great photo shots of the Seattle skyline.

Have a great time in Seattle it is a great city.

I realize that all of you are embarking today. I hope everyone has a wonderful cruise! Perhaps, when you return some of you can tell me if I would be able to use a mobility scooter on the Underground Tour. My scooter can handle moderately uneven terrain, but can not handle step-ups or step-downs. If there are steps, is there also a ramp?

I haven't been to Seattle, but am thinking about it for later!

Rascal Rider Ruth

Based on comments from lots of people that have stayed with us in Seattle over the years, the Blake Island Tillicum trip seems to be the most popular thing to do by far. The trip leaves from the downtown waterfront and goes to Blake Island. Blake is a small island about 8 miles south west from downtown Seattle. The entire island is a state park, with trails etc to explore if you like. The main attraction is an excellent salmon dinner and show at the main lodge, which is a 5 minute walk from the dock. The salmon is cooked over cedar logs which you can see as you walk to the lodge. The dinner show is first class and rivals any Las Vegas production. All in all, it is a great trip. I have lived in Seattle all my life, and my family always enjoys this trip no matter how many times we have gone with people staying with us. Also, If the timing is right, Orca's can be spotted on the boat trip to Blake. Here is the web site for additional info. In the summer by tickets early.. http://www.tillicumvillage.com/

Virgenia, thanks for your info on the Underground Tour ... guess I will cross that off my list!

Sharke Boy, thanks for the suggestion ... would the Blake Island Tillicum trip be suitable for me with my mobility scooter? Ramps and reasonable trails and terrain?

Rascal Rider Ruth

Archived