Our DIY Corfu Report

VirtualRain

Thank you for such beautiful pictures and great information. We will be in Corfu this July on a cruise from 8 am to 3:30 on a "Sunday". We will be traveling with our teenage daughter and college son. We have never been there and want to see as much as possible; including some sight-seeing, shopping, some food and wine and beaches to make everyone happy. First...Are the shops open on Sunday? Is this all possible to do in this amount of time? Do you think the rental car is still the best way to take it all in? Any recommendations you have will be appreciated! :) We know the time is now to start planning! Thanks! :)

Thank you!

I'm not sure what will be open or not on a Sunday in Corfu. Hopefully someone else can comment on that or a Google search may help. It sounds like you are interested in similar things as us so our itinerary may be a good fit for you. You could probably skip the side trip we made up the hill to Lakones and spend more time at the beaches in Palaiokastritsa before heading back to town. A car rental is absolutely the way to go in my opinion. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing all this information and photos!

We will be following your steps in October as we are going to Santorini, Corfu, Mykonos and Katakolon on NCL Jade. We love to discover on our own, so you just made it pretty easy for our 1st time in Europe.

Linda

• 3 months later...

With motivation from VirtualRain's post (thank you!), we did DIY Corfu when were were just there at the end of August, 2013. We rented a car from Royal Car Rental, which is right in the main port terminal. We had reserved ahead. As expected, we had to argue hard to pay with credit card, then our card didn't work. I think he was being honest that it didn't work. There was an ATM in the terminal. We finally agreed to pay cash, 50 Euros as reserved for a very small, manual car. I had compared prices online with Sunrise before leaving, and this was the going price in August. The car was in great shape, just a few scuffs. It had A/C but it was pretty weak.

We absolutely loved the drive to and above Paleokastritsa (I spell it differently each time I think!) to Lakones. The road to Lakones was very narrow and at points very curvy, so be careful but it well worth it. We stopped at one place for coffee and baklava with a great view just past the narrow part of town.

In Paleokastritsa, we took the Nautilus glass bottom boat (there was also a Yellow Submarine) instead of the more random boat operators. I thought the 50 minute ride was fine but I don't strongly recommend it. Probably if we went back we would rent a paddle boat or go with one of the smaller operations for a boat tour around the area. It was very pretty so I do recommend going out on some type of boat.

After reading many reviews, I was prepared for very rough beaches and frigid water. I was shocked to find smooth sand (though not baby powder smooth) and warm water. I'd say the water was considerably warmer than in Mykonos and Dubrovnik, and probably was similar to the temperatures we had in Barbados in January, so maybe 78 or 79 degrees F, though I'm no expert at judging it. It was definitely warmer than the indoor pool at my local YMCA! My wife and I both were able to walk right in with no hesitation.

On the drive back to the port, we stopped at a leather store and an olive wood store, made an excursion to buy gas for the car, and then headed to the parking lot near the old town that VirtualRain labeled on googlemaps. We only walked around the old town for 45 minutes or so, but it was lovely. We wish we had more time, but we don't like to rush back to the ship with little time to spare, and we certainly would not have wanted to shorten our time on the beach. I guess we just have to schedule another cruise!

With motivation from VirtualRain's post (thank you!), we did DIY Corfu when were were just there at the end of August, 2013. We rented a car from Royal Car Rental, which is right in the main port terminal. We had reserved ahead. As expected, we had to argue hard to pay with credit card, then our card didn't work. I think he was being honest that it didn't work. There was an ATM in the terminal. We finally agreed to pay cash, 50 Euros as reserved for a very small, manual car. I had compared prices online with Sunrise before leaving, and this was the going price in August. The car was in great shape, just a few scuffs. It had A/C but it was pretty weak.

We absolutely loved the drive to and above Paleokastritsa (I spell it differently each time I think!) to Lakones. The road to Lakones was very narrow and at points very curvy, so be careful but it well worth it. We stopped at one place for coffee and baklava with a great view just past the narrow part of town.

In Paleokastritsa, we took the Nautilus glass bottom boat (there was also a Yellow Submarine) instead of the more random boat operators. I thought the 50 minute ride was fine but I don't strongly recommend it. Probably if we went back we would rent a paddle boat or go with one of the smaller operations for a boat tour around the area. It was very pretty so I do recommend going out on some type of boat.

After reading many reviews, I was prepared for very rough beaches and frigid water. I was shocked to find smooth sand (though not baby powder smooth) and warm water. I'd say the water was considerably warmer than in Mykonos and Dubrovnik, and probably was similar to the temperatures we had in Barbados in January, so maybe 78 or 79 degrees F, though I'm no expert at judging it. It was definitely warmer than the indoor pool at my local YMCA! My wife and I both were able to walk right in with no hesitation.

On the drive back to the port, we stopped at a leather store and an olive wood store, made an excursion to buy gas for the car, and then headed to the parking lot near the old town that VirtualRain labeled on googlemaps. We only walked around the old town for 45 minutes or so, but it was lovely. We wish we had more time, but we don't like to rush back to the ship with little time to spare, and we certainly would not have wanted to shorten our time on the beach. I guess we just have to schedule another cruise!

Awesome! Sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing your experience. I would probably rent with Royal next time just for the convenience, although I'd love to do that road to Lakones in a proper sports car one day :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks! Yes... All ports are doable on your own... Corfu and Katakolon are no exception. You should be able to dig up my DIY report on Katakolon with a search. Dubrovnik is super easy to do on your own as its a small medieval walled town... Just take the cruise line sponsored bus from port into town and walk the wall, explore the shops, cafes, and museums, and maybe even take the gondola ride up the mountain for a spectacular view. It was so easy to DIY in Dubrovnik, I had nothing to write about, so never posted a report of any kind.

VirtualRain, you're a rock star, love your reports and amazing pictures! We're doing a Med cruise next June and I'm taking your tips for both Santorini and Corful. Haven't been able to find the Katakolon thread though, can you please send me the link? Thanks a ton:)

Hi Virtualrain,

I have to let you know, how much it was easy to follow your steps in this voyage we did in Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos and Katakolon.

We rented a car with Sunrise in Corfu, and an other one in Santorini instead of the ATV (was to windy on that day, even the cable car was close); went to Oia, did many photos (husband is a passionate), got a glass of wine at the terrasse of Terpsi en Oia, came back to walk in Thera's town, enjoy diner in a tavern.

In Mykonos, walked the town, got a Gyro and a beer for lunch on a beautiful day!

Finnaly in Katakolon, visited Olympia, shop in town olive oil in a small grocery store (cheaper than the souvenirs stores) then back at Katakolon port to enjoy the vue and a nice drink on our last day in port.

So I have to say Thank You very much, for sharing your maps and informations to us. We had a marvelous Greek Islands cruise, and souvenirs for ever.

Thanks again Linda & Claude

• 4 weeks later...

This is really helpful, thank you! We will be in Corfu in Sept 14 as part of a med/adriatic cruise. My mobility is limited and I find sitting very painful, so many of the cruise line excursions are a 'no go' for me. Hiring a car for a day sounds great and my hubby will drive confidently, I'm glad to hear that it is not expensive compared with a ship's excursion.

This is really helpful, thank you! We will be in Corfu in Sept 14 as part of a med/adriatic cruise. My mobility is limited and I find sitting very painful, so many of the cruise line excursions are a 'no go' for me. Hiring a car for a day sounds great and my hubby will drive confidently, I'm glad to hear that it is not expensive compared with a ship's excursion.

Hello Slugsta,

It was very easy and cheap to rent a car. I did it on line about 4 months in advance. My husband got an internationnal drivers's licence so it went fast, in 15 minutes we were on are way. Sunrise car rental are everywhere in Greece.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

Linda

Driving is corfu was easy and wonderful. Please rent a car. Your hubby has a hefty walk to sunrise if you use them. Even though they are across the street from the port exit, it's a (minimum) 15 minute walk to get around the fence to arrive there. You do not need an international driving permit, just your local driver's license.

• 6 months later...

Your photos are awesome!

We want to spend a few hours at a beach in the Paleokastritsa area, we will be taking a taxi however. So, from your driving around which beach should I tell the driver to takes us to? We love a taverna nearby and beach chairs.

Thanks, we leave in one week!