Sea Sickness

mkgwhite

I swear by relief bands. They are pricey, but never fail. I loan them to friends often and they say the same. They work in a similar fashion to stretch bands mentioned, but have added component of SMALL electric current. I interrupts the Vegas nerve (the nausea trigger). Have used for 10+ cruises. Can be purchased online from aeromedix. Used to require rx, don't think that is the case now. Would check to see if ok for child. Was used during pregnancy and after surgery by hospitals and docs.

I definately agree! I am very prone to motion sickness. Ive used Bonine but I don't like the drowsiness. The patches seemed to work well at first, but I then got blurred vision and couldn't read anything close up. Which isn't good when your trying to read a menu or look at photos. So I discovered the RELiEF BAND! I love this thing. I have sailed some pretty rough seas with it and not a drop of nausea. I purchased mine on ebay but trust me when I say, if you pay full price for it you will NOT regret it!!!!!

I got very sea sick on my first cruise and now I take Ginger pills. I start taking them the day before the cruise and have not been seasick since. Just take as directed on the bottle and they have no side effects. You can find them in the vitamin section.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought 100 Meclizine pills at drugstore dot com for $5.99. They are under the manufacturer name "Rugby". Much cheaper than a box of Bonine!

Some states sell large quantities of Meclizine over the counter, but NJ does not. I ordered online and there was no restriction in me placing the order. However, there was a notation by the online checkout that listed a few states they could not ship to....I think MA was one of them, but don't remember the others. I hope this helps someone. :)

Now that everyone has shared their favorite, you might consider calling the child's Dr. for an opinion based on the child's health profile. We are all different and different treatments can be effective or not.

For myself meclizine has always been best. However I found that I needed nothing this time. Ships are sure more stable than the last time I cruised 20 some odd years ago.

here another thumbs up for the sea bands. I used them when I was pregnant, I had been so ill that I was admitted to hos twice. Some told me to try them, and to be honest I thought that there was no way that they'd work. Well they did and after 4 months of being ill I was finialy able to resume a normal life and start looking after my elder girl again without help (wasn't even sick once when I was carring her). But if to put them on and would suddenly be really sick and realise they were off.

Forward a good few years and I now use them for a chemo type medication I take (not for cancer). I was given then by the hospital to use for this medication. The hospitals now routinely use them alongside chemo drugs- So now ricegarded as a mainstream anti emtic.

For a child I would use this first before I would resort to the drugs. But I would take the drugs with you just incase.

This may be a stupid question but do sea bands lose their affect after a few years of just laying around the house?

Only if the elastic is worn out. They work by pressure points, non-medicated, just a wristband with a plastic tab that puts pressure on your wrist. I used them when I was pregnant and had trouble tolerating long car rides--worked fine, but staying out of the car worked better!

Personally, I take 1/2 tab(12.5mg) of meclizine every day on a cruise. I get woozy otherwise--headache, dizzy, general I-don't-feel-so-good.

You can get everything listed in this thread at your local target too. Ask at the pharmacy if you can't find it! It's often near the goodys powders and sometimes in the stomach meds section. :) oh, and the pharmacy can special order a 100ct bottle of meclizine that will cost you about $3-$5.

Archived