Best place to swim with dolphins (Nassau/Freeport)

critcatny

I'm asking this for my brother and SIL. They are on the Miracle out of NY in Dec. Want very badly to swim with the dolphins. It is between Nassau and Freeport. They do not go on CC-don't want to become addicted like me :) So I thought I'd ask here for them. Anyone have any opinions on the best place between those 2 islands (and price if you know it). I am leaving on my cruise today so I will check back for any answers when I return. Thanks in advance.

FREEPORT!

If you can book the open ocean dolphin swim DO IT DO IT DO IT. It is a smidge pricey at $150 but it is worth every penny, it is easily a top ten life experience of mine.

They take you out on a boat into the open water, it's about 20 feet deep, and allow you to get into the water and have free time swimming with the dolphins. There was only THREE people total on my excursion and that was booked through carnival!

We had two dolphins, it was AMAZING to be able to dive down under the water and swim with the dolphins, you can actually see them and swim with them.

At first it was a little nervous because you were in open water and you'd feel something whisk by you but once you got used to that, it was fine. It was the dolphins!

AFTER the free time we did all the tricks that every other dolphin swim does and got to get pulled into the boat by the dolphins.

I got tail whipped by a dolphin. How many people can say that :-)

We did the shallow water interaction at Atlantis in Nassau. Really enjoyed it, very informative and really cool. I can't say anything about the dolphin swim as we did not do that one, but saw others doing it and they seemed to have a great time. We decided to go with the one at Atlantis because we wanted to see Atlantis as well, and we able to see the aquarium and the grounds after the dolphin encounter.

We were suppose to do the Freeport one in July, were so excited about it because of the rave reviews. We got to the facility and a storm rolled in they cancelled (and refunded) and took us back to the ship:( Pretty depressing. But we did go to the shore excursions desk and booked the atlantis deep water one for the next day. it was fun, but I knew it was definitely not as good as the freeport one based on description and reviews. Basically we stood in the water everyone took turns shaking the dolphins fin, hugging the dolphin, kissing the dolphin. Then each person got the foot push across the pool (though we really wanted to do the ride on the fin we werent allowed). And then we got the motorized thing and got to snorkel around for like 5 minutes while the dolphin swam around. Very little actual "swimming" with the dolphin for $200 we thought. The Freeport one based on description and reviews is getting to free swim and play with the dolphins. Not just posed moments. And Freeport lets you take your own pictures (well someone on sideline) but Atlantis just charges a fortune for them. Maybe someday we will get to do the other.

I think you would like the Blue Lagoon: http://www.dolphinencounters.com/

in Nassau. You can book directly with them or book through the cruise line. There are options for those who do not want to do the dolphin swim. We did the Sea Lion encounter a few years ago and had a great time.

I second this (see avatar;)). Had a GREAT dolphin swim and got to get pushed across the lagoon by a dolphin. They were healthy, happy, active and not kept in tanks. Great place with LOTS more to do than just the dolphin encounter.

Freeport - www.unexso.com

If the Blue Lagoon ocean swim is out of your price range then take a taxi (5ea RT) to the Port Lucaya Mall. UNEXSO has their office there and they are the company that NCL uses. We booked the encounter for $40/per cheaper than the ship excursion and got the same great service.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice. I will pass it all along to my brother. We just returned from the Miracle from NY today and it was another great cruise. Only thing was we did have some rough waters and cool, rainy days but for the most part....awesome!

Archived