Disney to stop at Falmouth

Mickeylee

I thought my fellow RC cruisers might find this interesting.

According to Travel Weekly (a travel trade publication),

"Disney Cruise Line said it will add its first call in Jamaica in late 2013 with a new itinerary from Galveston.

The seven-day Western Caribbean itinerary will stop in Falmouth at the port developed by Royal Caribbean Cruises. Other ports on the itinerary include Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Disney Magic itineraries from Galveston currently include Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico."

I thought Falmouth was a private port build by and for Royal Caribbean. I know that the three times we were there the only ships in port belonged to RCL.

I guess RCL needs to add more revenues to their coffers so they are going to start letting other cruiselines use their private port. :p

I thought Falmouth was a private port build by and for Royal Caribbean. I know that the three times we were there the only ships in port belonged to RCL.

I guess RCL needs to add more revenues to their coffers so they are going to start letting other cruiselines use their private port. :p

Royal Caribbean invested a lot of the money, but it's not a private port, and use by multiple cruise lines was always part of the plans.

Royal Caribbean invested a lot of the money, but it's not a private port, and use by multiple cruise lines was always part of the plans.

I have read a fair amount about this and actually the Port Authority of Jamaica carried the investment - approx. $250MM - not RCI. RCI's commitment was along the lines of "build it and we will come" with the goal of using the port to be able to berth the Oasis class ships at a location central to both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. The incentive being 6,000+ passengers per ship along with those on other ships such as Freedom, etc.

The expansion to other cruise lines is to help genereate more on shore revenue for Jamaica and is fair game as they own the facility. Part of the issue is that with Oasis class ships "being the destination" - possibly more than this port of call - Jamaica is likely not seeing the expected toursim benefit from RCI alone, and is looking to increase its ROI.

Archived