How wide are the cabin doors in a regular room?

boomonster

I can't find out how wide the doors are and we are trying to see if my MIL's scooter could get in. She has a modified room now but would like an OV under the pack and go rate . I just want to make sure she can get it through without haveing to take it apart. She doesn't really need the other options of the modified room so that's not really an issue. Her scooter is 21 1/2 inches wide. Thanks

We couldn't fit a baby stroller through the doorway to a balcony cabin on the Miracle. The only way to get the stroller in the room was to take the baby out and fold the stroller. The problem was at the wheel base of the stroller, it was about a half an inch too wide.

My mom uses a scooter and booked the modified to be on the safe side. This is from carnivals web site section for guests with disabilities:

Modified Cabins: these cabins are designed for guests who may utilize a wheelchair or similar assistance device (e.g. for distance) (and include features such as grab bars and shower seats in the bathrooms).

Accessible Cabins: these cabins are designed for guest with highly limited or no mobility who utilize wheelchairs or other similar assistive devices (and include features such as turning space; accessible routes throughout the cabin; and accessible bathrooms).

As with all Carnival reservations, staterooms within each category are assigned on a first come, first serve basis. Therefore, it is advisable to reserve an accessible or modified stateroom in advance.

Standard cabins: these cabins have an approximately 22 entry doorway an 8 lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4 lip into the shower stall, and 7 lip to the balcony (if applicable).

I can't find out how wide the doors are and we are trying to see if my MIL's scooter could get in. She has a modified room now but would like an OV under the pack and go rate . I just want to make sure she can get it through without haveing to take it apart. She doesn't really need the other options of the modified room so that's not really an issue. Her scooter is 21 1/2 inches wide. Thanks

If she changes cabins and the scooter does not fit she will have no where to store it in the halls. Also no way to recharge the battery.

They do not allow keeping them in the halls for safety reasons.

Did you book thru a PVP? If you did, give them a call and mention the concern. I believe when you fill out your cruise documents there is a place to mark off any "SPECIAL NEEDS" If you mark off that someone is using a wheelchair may also help out not only getting through the door, but also space in the room. When my grandfather traveled with me the wheelchair did not fit through a regular door, but he was able to get out of it and walk into the doorway.

Ive never sailed on the Sept 2011 while on the Dream, my cabin mate had an unexpected accident just before the cruise. We ended up getting a scooter for him. We had a normal Balcony room. Since no handicapped rooms were available we decided to just make due with what we had.

He was able to fit through the door and the room attendant was extremely helpful for our needs. We had the sofa made up as the 2nd bed and they removed the 2nd bed from the stateroom so we had extra space to turn the scooter around and store it.

Definately check with the SPECIAL NEEDS dept so they can at least put a note on your CONF and maybe can help you out.

Best of Luck and let us know how it goes. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!:)

Thanks all for the responses and for taking the time to find out the size for me . I gave up and just called our PVP. Yes the Freedoms door width is 22. Our PVP (this is only the first time I have used her and only used her since she sent me a postcard in the mail) helped tremendously. We got everything figured out and dear MIL is getting her OV . And I am getting the DIL of the year award or at least a really nice Christmas gift .

Thanks again all

Thanks all for the responses and for taking the time to find out the size for me . I gave up and just called our PVP. Yes the Freedoms door width is 22. Our PVP (this is only the first time I have used her and only used her since she sent me a postcard in the mail) helped tremendously. We got everything figured out and dear MIL is getting her OV . And I am getting the DIL of the year award or at least a really nice Christmas gift .

Thanks again all

The doorway is 22" wide, BUT WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR, THE THICKNESS OF THE DOOR TAKES AWAY 2", SO YOU END UP WITH 20". Doubt the scooter will fit, and it would probably block the way to the bathroom...no way to turn it in the inside space...EM

Archived