Cruising for a Cause

dave_k63

I got an email today about a Princess " Cruising for a Cause" to benefit veterans. They would give $100 to several worth organizations for each interior, and more for outside, balcony, suite etc. The price for an interior, on a 4 day cruise in November of 2013 was $604. Did they just jack up the price $100?

I don't know, but I did feel the fares were pretty pricey for just 4 days.

I guess they gotta charge those prices so the donations don't come out of Princess coffers! So, IMO. it would make more fiscal sense to just donate $100 to one of the organizations myself.

I don't know, but I did feel the fares were pretty pricey for just 4 days.

I guess they gotta charge those prices so the donations don't come out of Princess coffers! So, IMO. it would make more fiscal sense to just donate $100 to one of the organizations myself.

If you file a US return and itemize, you can deduct the $100 contribution if you make it, but not if you pay an extra $100 to Princess for them to pass on.

Please read the fine print for any company that offer's to donate to any cause. Usually, it will say "up to $XXX,XXX" . Say that's $150,000.00. If you read on you'll find that they're going to donate that amount as a maximum, meaning that it really doesn't matter how much you "donate", that's what they're giving.

I personally think that I'd rather donate to the cause's I believe in instead of letting a company choose and use my deduction.

JMO,

If you file a US return and itemize, you can deduct the $100 contribution if you make it, but not if you pay an extra $100 to Princess for them to pass on.

I think that is wrong because on the booking page, it says this:

"A portion of the cruise fare supports these two charities and is tax deductible."See the attached photo.

CWC040.jpg.c92ba2342e90a42c3299502d74bc2e2d.jpg

I personally think that I'd rather donate to the cause's I believe in instead of letting a company choose and use my deduction.

JMO,

That's understandable, but in this case you are presumably making such a contribution -by taking the cruise. Of course, I would rather be cruising and helping than just sending in a check, but that's me :D

Archived