Venice Port - getting on and off the ship

Redbarnphotog

Taking my first Med Cruise next year from Venice. I like the idea of getting on the ship around 11am/12 NOON for lunch, but if the rooms aren't going to be ready until 2/4pm and the ship doesn't sail until after that, I'm wondering about eating lunch and then getting back off the ship for a bit more sightseeing.

We are staying in Venice 4 days prior to the cruise, but in a district not close to the port. So I was thinking of just wandering near the port for a couple of hours to kill time.

I'm not a sun bather, and will have my mother and daughter to entertain. We'll have a full day at sea the following day to explore the ship.

What do you think? Is it easy to get back on or will I have to wait in any lines for all the others that are still checking in?

Taking my first Med Cruise next year from Venice. I like the idea of getting on the ship around 11am/12 NOON for lunch, but if the rooms aren't going to be ready until 2/4pm and the ship doesn't sail until after that, I'm wondering about eating lunch and then getting back off the ship for a bit more sightseeing.

We are staying in Venice 4 days prior to the cruise, but in a district not close to the port. So I was thinking of just wandering near the port for a couple of hours to kill time.

I'm not a sun bather, and will have my mother and daughter to entertain. We'll have a full day at sea the following day to explore the ship.

What do you think? Is it easy to get back on or will I have to wait in any lines for all the others that are still checking in?

Princess doesn't let passengers on until all cabins are ready...at least that has been our experience. Once you have your cruise card you can come and go from the ship until the All Aboard deadline before sailing. Our Royal cruise next year begins with a night docked in Venice. we plan to check-in, have a bite to eat, get some specialty dining booked and then leave the ship to explore Venice.

Hi, Amy, our nearby "neighbor" in Indiana. YES, Venice is super wonderful (except when flooded like currently there with their high tides and water-covered areas). Glad to know you'll have lots of time to explore here before your cruise.

Four days is lots of time just for Venice. You might also consider doing a day-trip to some nearby options in the region. From your ship, the immediate neighborhood is a little limited, but if you a little farther, there are potentials to see and explore.

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 15,690 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 108,616 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I don't recall there being much around the port to see/do. I think there might be a place nearby to hop on the water bus but that is all. While I love Venice 4 days might be really long unless you like taking your time and relaxing. We had 3 1/2 days which worked out because we were so jet lagged that we usually went out from 9-2pm and then went back for a nap before heading back out at 4 -10. If we had been at normal speed I think we would have been done in 2 days at most. On the last day I was digging up museums to go see because we did all the main highlights earlier in the week.

Archived