New to Carnival...

kijjy

My past cruises have been on Royal Caribbean but this time I'm seriously considering Carnival. Here are a couple of questions:

1. I'm having trouble deciding on 2 different cruises because of the ports of call. If you have cruised on them and had a choice, would you choose Freedom or Dream? Why?

2. I have a 15 year old son. Which of those 2 ships would he enjoy more and why?

3. Is there anything special I need to know about Carnival vs RCI?

Thanks to all of you who take the time to read and answer my questions.

Kijjy

My past cruises have been on Royal Caribbean but this time I'm seriously considering Carnival. Here are a couple of questions:

1. I'm having trouble deciding on 2 different cruises because of the ports of call. If you have cruised on them and had a choice, would you choose Freedom or Dream? Why?

2. I have a 15 year old son. Which of those 2 ships would he enjoy more and why?

Kijjy

What are the itineraries your thinking about doing

What are the itineraries your thinking about doing

At this point, it's not really about the itineraries, it's about the ship. I've done neither of these particular itineraries so either of them is good for me. It's the difference in ships I want to know about, for myself but most especially for my 15 year old son.

At this point, it's not really about the itineraries, it's about the ship. I've done neither of these particular itineraries so either of them is good for me. It's the difference in ships I want to know about, for myself but most especially for my 15 year old son.

We dont have children but we are the opposite, we pick itineraries then the ship

I have never been on these ships but would assume the same activities for teens are on both ships.If im wrong I will be corrected :)

Kijjy

Of the two ships you are inquiring, I have only been on the Freedom.... the week that we sailed on her, there were over 600 youth on board, and the youth program took such good care of them that I only ever saw about a dozen of them, other than at meal times with their parents. I have also sailed on the Inspiration, and the Victory with similar experiences regarding the youth on board. So I would assume that the on-board youth experience would be similar on Freedom and on Dream.

With regard to the "size" of the ships, they are fairly similar, with Dream being a bit larger.

In April 2013 we are booked to go on the Freedom once again, our first voyage on Freedom was our first ever cruise, and we went to Key West, Grand Caymen, and Ocho Rios.... we had a great time, but it went by too fast... our next cruise on Freedom will be the exotic southern itinerary going to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curocau, and Aruba, with three sea days mixed in, so 8 total days in length... hopefully this one will not fly by as quickly.

I have never sailed on RCI, so I can not comment on the differences, but there is no climbing walls, or ice rinks on Carnival ships, so if you are looking for those activities, you will be disappointed... if you are looking for a good, affordable cruise you will find that with Carnival.

I have been on both ships. If you enjoy the pools I would recommend Carnival Freedom. I like the layout of the Conquest class of ships better than the Dream class. Just my opinion, but I enjoyed both ships. The Dream has more hot tubs, but on a hot day I would prefer to be on the Freedom since it has more pools IMHO.

Kijjy

Since you have sailed on RCI and you like it, I would recommend picking the Breeze. It is the closest ship in the Carnival fleet to what you're accustomed to with RCI. It is not over the top glitzy like the rest of the Carnival fleet. Another good thing is that the itineraries are either 6 or 8 days and the ports are occasionally jumbled around, so it's not the same old same old 7 day eastern/western back and forth. The 8 day itinerary also has a southern caribbean version that stops at Aruba and Curacao, which cruise ships usually only visit sailing out of San Juan for 7 days or sailing from other embarkation ports for 10+ days. There is a link below of 100 professional pictures from around the ship. After having done 20+ cruises, my upcoming January cruise on the Breeze is the one that I am looking forward to the most.

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Carnival+Breeze/G1773,A12835

In reply to question #3, we have sailed both Carnival and RCI, and thoroughly have enjoyed all of our cruises. We really did not notice that big of a difference between the two lines except for the fact that Carnival treated us as adults and permitted us to either preorder liquor and spirits through Bon Voyage, or purchase them on board through room service to be enjoyed in the cabin. (A cocktail on the balcony before dinner--priceless!) We sailed the Breeze this summer with two faithful RCI friends, and they were surprised that they enjoyed the cruise so much, particularly pointing out the quality of the main dining room food. (Just reporting what their opinion was.) We would sail RCI again if the itinerary or the ship dictated something that we would like. But you cannot beat Carnival for value. Can't lose with either line though. Have a great voyage, whatever you choose.

We've done Carnival four times and RCI twice. IMO, Carnival tends to be a bit "livelier" - we found ourselves wondering where the "action" was later at night on both of our RCI cruises. I thought RCI maintained their ships exceptionally well. We'll probably continue with Carnival unless an itinerary on RCI is more appealing (the itinerary is our most important factor). I think you'll find more differences between specific ships than between any of the mass market lines.

Our daughter has cruises from age 4 through age 11. She has enjoyed both Carnival and RCI kids programs more or less equally. Though she hasn't enjoyed the kids programs as much the past two cruises - more having to due with her being so shy. But she enjoyed the "enrichment" on our last RCI, which was some arts & crafts led by a volunteer.

Kijjy

Have you considered the Magic out of Galveston? She is the same class ship as the Dream but is newer and has more to offer. Or the Brand new Breeze out of Miami with more to offer than the Dream or the Magic. As far as CCL vs RCI a cruise is what you make it they both have good and bad things about them. Look at Carnival like it's your first cruise IMHO to many people spend the Cruise comparing things. Yes they do things differently, they offer different things but in the end they are both Cruise lines and offer a great vacation.

Archived