Art Auction, Is the art a good value?

granni10

No real value. However, it is fun to check it out and people watch. Plus it might turn you on to an artist that you would have not otherwise known. Personally, I love Emile Bellet but I would have never known about her but for the art action some 11 years ago. I now have acquired multiple pieces of his works since.

We bought an animation cell we later had appraised for much much more than we paid. And we like it, so even if it was worth less than what we paid it would not matter. Get all the info up front and make an informed decision. And enjoy! The champagne is cheap but the people watching is awesome!

I make my own frames and we have found some prints in the past we really liked and feel we have received a good bargain. like one of the other posters said you mey find an artist that you never knew about but like their work so it might be a learning experience

No real value. However, it is fun to check it out and people watch. Plus it might turn you on to an artist that you would have not otherwise known. Personally, I love Emile Bellet but I would have never known about her but for the art action some 11 years ago. I now have acquired multiple pieces of his works since.

Wow clearly had too much to drink tonight... mean HIM! Sorry!

I doubt you are going to find something that's a good deal from an investment perspective. But if you would otherwise spend a couple hundred bucks for something to hang in the living room because it's something you like, you will probably find this kind of stuff on board.

I like going and looking at what they have. Since I'm a cheapskate I haven't picked anything up yet, but I really like the Michael Godard pieces (the ones with the olive). I watched what they were selling for, then went to the internet cafe and looked them up at a couple sites, and the prices were in line with what I found online.

I made the mistake of letting my wife and her mother go to the Art Auction alone on our last cruise.

I came to join them later to find out they bought a lot of 5 paintings for around 400 dollars. She told me that was framing and shipping included. Sounds like a great deal, I thought it was a waste of money, but they were happy so I let it go.

Well they went to their appointment later to finalize and this is where they attempt to stick it to you. It is like going into one of those time share meetings. They try and get you to buy everything. First off, they push a credit card on you, took a while, but they finally go the point that my wife didnt want the credit card. Next she got the invoice and there was a 100ish dollar chage for an appraisal. My wife told them she really didnt want the appraisal, she just wanted what she paid for. They went on for a good while about how the appraisal was good for her insurance, yadda yadda...the paintings were less than 100 dollars each, she really didnt care about insurance. After that came framing. She told them she was under the impression it was included (she claims they said this in the auction) No, it wasnt included. She said that she would take care the framing herself when we got home, so then she sat through a big spiel about framing, and how everyone elses was inferior to theirs, etc. Then it was shipping (once again, thought it was included..nope) She gave in and included that for obvious reasons. After getting beaten and battered in there she met me at the MDR for dinner. I could tell she was flustered so she explained what happened. I told her she needs to go complain to guest services, tell them you misunderstood the deal and that she felt like she was mislead. She did, then had to go talk to the art auction guy. This is where it got really bad. She explained to him that she misunderstood the deal and didnt feel comfortable with the purchase process. He got extremely rude with us, belittling, etc...She apologized and once again let him know it was a misunderstanding. He huffed and puffed, gave some icy glares, stomped around the room collecting paper work, then tore it up and threw it on his desk. She asked for something in writing that the charges would be removed. He laughed and said NO, your proof is this torn up paper on the floor and walked off...whoa!

We aren't really complainers, but I felt a little insulted and taken back and decided to let guest services know about the experience. Nothing was really done, they just nodded and acted like the put something in the computer...that was that.

Long story short, we wont be doing the art auction onboard again any time soon.

We bought a piece for $50 and they tried to tell me it would be $400 with framing, appraisal, shipping, etc. We refused the framing and should have refused the appraisal, but we didn't get the impression that it was optional. It still cost us over $100 for a piece we bid $50 on. Something about that just stinks to me.

They got very irritated when we refused the framing and spent about 45 minutes trying to get us to buy it .

I'll never buy anything at the auction again, but we enjoy going just to watch.

I went to the auction 2 times last week. We ended up purchasing 2 more pieces for $160. We already have 4 from our March cruise that we have not hung up....lol. All 6 are the same artist, and since the wife and I agree on his work, it is a no brainer for us to spend some cash on something we both agree on.

Shipping is $35 for a tube that will fit up to 6. If you are going with canvas art, the shipping is more.

Pass on the framing and the appraisals. They offer you appraisals on the art, but if you are spending a few hundred, not exactly worth the extra money.

We purchased a Godard original on a Princess ship last summer. It was an art appreciation cruise and he was on board along with a couple other artists. We watched him draw it, then bid on it. He even added something at our request. There was no pressure at all, we even took our picture with him and the painting.

Maybe it is a different company on Carnival - so thanks for the warning about the after sale pressures. We will be sure to avoid this on our next cruise.

It would be easy to be sarcastic given the thread title. I will refrain.

Let me say instead that the on-board art is not investment quality.

If you like it fine, but do not think it will ever be a good investment. Very very unlikely.

Archived