Excursion suggestions please

Taking Mom on a quick 4 day getaway to celebrate her 80th birthday in Dec. Ports are Catalina Island and Ensenada. Not finding many interesting excursions

options on Carnival's site. Any suggestions for "Indy" tour operators? Due to Mom's age, she's NOT looking to do a lot of walking. Thanks for any suggestions

Taking Mom on a quick 4 day getaway to celebrate her 80th birthday in Dec. Ports are Catalina Island and Ensenada. Not finding many interesting excursions

options on Carnival's site. Any suggestions for "Indy" tour operators? Due to Mom's age, she's NOT looking to do a lot of walking. Thanks for any suggestions

I would check out the Ports of Call board .. they may have some good suggestions on there.. Good Luck:)

I have been to Ensenada 4 times and there really isn't too much you can do without a lot of walking. When you exit the terminal, there are shuttles that will take you to town for $1 I think. The place where you get dropped off has a few different options where they can take you for a lot less, and more time. The blowhole and winery are 2 I remember. We have also shopped in the immediate area as well.

The walk from the shuttle to the actual blowhole is approximately a quarter mile to half of a mile. You'll walk through this open-market which has a lot of knockoff designer bags, pharmacies, leather goods, t-shirts, hats and things of that nature. The blowhole itself is actually pretty neat depending on the seas, but you will be solicited. If your mom has never seen that that might be alright, as maybe she could stop and rest, if needed, along the way. To me it's just the same old Mexican market stuff (I have been to Mexico way too many times :rolleyes:) that's always there but the blowhole is different. The winery is different but I think it offers too much walking.

Catalina Island is really neat, and I would check out Catalina Expeditions. They offer several different tours -water and land and I bet there would be enjoyable to you both. I stayed there, so I am not sure if they are contracted with Carnival or not.

Good luck in choosing your excursions and safe travels to you! :)

WAGGESAZ, thanks for your suggestions. Since I posted my initial question, I booked a Carnival sponsored trolly tour of Catalina for 10:30 to 12 noon. Now, on to Ensenada. Heard through CC posts that, there's a nice message place there. Still not decided ye but, have a few days to wrap tings up;)

Just want to say that is wonderful that you are taking your Mom on a cruise to celebrate her birthday.

Keith

Thanks Keith! Tomorrow is not promised for any of us so, whatever time we spend together is all good! We're blessed in that she's in great health, still works part-time, is totaly independent, very involved in her community and get's around better than some people half her age!

In Ensenada there is a shuttle for $2 into town BUT the seats have no legroom. Better off getting a taxi. We usually walk into town but last time Mom wanted to ride the shuttle.

There are shops at the pier. Prices are not much more than in town.

The main street, Ave Lopez is very walkable with smooth sidewalks. Curb cutouts can be a bit steep. Taxis are in town to take you back. $2per person. Clean bathrooms can be found in the McDonalds and the larger restaurants. We have never had a problem eating in any of the restaurants.

La Bufadora (the blowhole) is nice, especially after a big storm. The busses park in a clear dirt lot and the way to the blowhole is paved but on a downhill grade, maybe 1/4 mile. The vendors are pushy but do know what 'No' means.

(Clean bathrooms are in the building by the Blowhole and the restaurant by the parking lot. 25c-50c charge, throw all used paper in the trash can.)

Archived