Not sure what you need to take with you on your cruise?

Boiler Cruiser

This list reminds me of my first cruise 20 years ago, I packed like I was going to the outback. Folks, we are not leaving civiliazation (sp?) If you forget or need it immediately, you can find it somewhere, it might be more costly (ex: batteries), but you can get it, unless you are so fussy that you have to have the name brand or size. Since my first cruise I have extremely downsized. So happy packing everyone.

Great list. The power strip that I take has a short cord (2') which is great for the small desk; plug in cell phone charger and electric clock with large numbers that can be seen from across the room. After getting sick on the QM2 and having an expensive dispensery bill, I now take: antibiotic eye drops for pink eye and antibiotic for bronchitis; of course, Advil and Pepto. I'd rather not spend time looking for a pharmacy in port.

Please remove the "flat iron" from your list. Cruise ships consider them a fire

hazard and will confiscate them if spotted. They will be returned at end of cruise

but, like flame-candles, they are not allowed.

Really no flat irons??? My hair is crazy wavy and the only way to get it to do anything is to use my flat iron, and then curling iron. I know on my last cruise I had a curling iron, so how would that be any different than my flat iron... aka straightner. If this is true guess I will try and find a way to smuggle it..........lol if people smuggle rumrunners, than I shall smjuggler my straightner!!!!

A flat iron is to straighten hair. ;)

It's the clothes irons that are not allowed onboard.

Immodium should be at the top of the meds list.

Yeah!!!!! I was getting worried that I would not be able to bring my staightener, that is thee one item I cannot live without. My hair is crazy wavy, and when I wake up it looks like I have stuck my finger into an electric socket!!!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

this person posted a helpful list. those people that "only bring 10% of this list" or "do without 90%" or are discouraging it all because of weight or lack of space apparently need packing lessons. you can pack it very effectively and stuff like calamine lotion isnt there to be used on purpose, its more for just in case. and if you are in a situation where you need it you'll be that much less inconvenienced (or wont inconvenience others with your complaints about not having it). this stuff doesnt weigh that much and of course a group of guys isnt going to need a hair straightener but may pack their body weight in suntan lotion. remember to each his own. i go with the always be prepared motto but also know how to pack efficiently, so no extra baggage fees of over weight fees, etc. if you dont want to be bothered to pack it, dont bother others when you end up needing it. and for goodness sakes dont discourage others from bringing that stuff just because you dont know how to be prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

For us:

Pillow, blanket (I think I confused the room guy last week, he kept putting my blanket on dd's bed. No, she had her own!), kindle/books, nook, dvd player, movies, zune. (we didn't bring the dvd player/movies this time since we have dd. But always did in the past. Perfect for passing time during bingo before shows.) So the power strip is a must! Baggies-YES (for snacks at ports and for the way home) or during the shows.

My camera battery will last a week and my sd cards are 64 and 8 gigs. I'm not going to fill it up in a week (I haven't filled it up in a year), so no need to bring extra.

I do bring a first aid kit but that stays in the suitcase.

I also refuse to do laundry on vacation. However, a spilled beer on my suitcase landed me doing a load...$5.

I'm not sure why you'd need most of that stuff, but if you have a use for it, then go for it!

A backback/tote is a must for us! I do recommend a small bag/tote if traveling with short ones. Diaper, wipes, oral gel, sippy cup, room key, wave phone...

We also always pack extra under clothes/socks! dh takes 2-4 showers a day on the ship, me 2-3.

Also, toothbrush/paste, make up and jewelry, a folder to hold the funtimes/anything paper related you want to save/photos.

My worry is someone new to cruising would see this and think they need the stuff.

Funny story with the bottle opener. Dh doesn't really drink. While at port he bought a 6 pack of beer. He assumed they were pop tops. NOPE. He's thinking and looking. Finally, I give up. I use the belt clip on my bag. PERFECT!

"A bungie cord to hold open the sliding door to the balcony and/or hold the drapes open" NEVER needed this. The drapes have cords to pull them back and the doors stay open, no issues.

btw, you can use the cord from the drapes/curtains to 'child' proof the icebox...Otherwise dd wanted to play with the beer bottles. :eek:

I don't believe that for an instant. Granted we can do without much of the list, but unless you don't take a camera, one cell phone (crazy not to travel without one any longer in case of emergency) a small first aid kit, ID, travel documents of some kind and a few personal items you will have more than 10% of the above list.

Okay, this got me interested in how many there are, and how many I would take.

Unless I counted wrong, there are 84 items listed.

I would take 16. So, a little less than 20%.

I think it is a good list for someone who likes to know they have everything they could possibly need. Me, I would rather not lug everything around, and, if I have to buy some bandaids, so be it.

It can also be a good starting place for the first cruiser, but I would caution the reader to really ask themselves, "Do I understand why I am taking this, might it be available on the ship for free (like the hangers) and will it upset me if I have to shell out a couple of dollare, if I need to, in order not to have to take this along?"

I personally loved the list. Went over it and compared it to mine and found a couple things I forgot! :eek: Anyway, if you have ever been really ill in your life (I am a cancer survivor and just had surgery last week . . . hoping to be fully recuperated by 1-16 sailing), you know that you better be prepared! Is that Girl Scout or Boy Scout motto? :) So, yes, not everyone will need everything listed but we take a good portion of it!:D I think Cruise Critic members, even newbies, are smart enough to know what they don't need or want! And you should note that most of it is small and lightweight, or can be purchased in travel sizes!

Archived