"Younger" Solo Cruisers

zactak

Bummed a bit because my 1st solo cruise will NOT be happening this month.(those of us who communicated at the start of this thread know I was plannin on going on my 1st solo MLK weekend) But I'm kinda ok with it bc I'm going on a cruise in March to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday! woohoo!

Happy Planning + Smooth Sailing to you all!

My cruise was great! I will say that the solo cabins combined with the studio lounge makes meeting people and setting up outings with others much easier. I also found that meeting younger non-solo travelers was still somewhat easy. A lot of times they were traveling with family rather than couples so they sometimes wanted to get away from family and meet others as well.

I'm glad to hear your cruise went great. I noticed I will be going on the same itinerary as you went on. Any suggestions on the must dos on the islands and on the Epic? Were there a lot of families and children on your cruise?

I am 31, and will be solo-ing in couple of days. Had been with my boyfriend, but very looking forward to have some ME time.

Good luck cruising, and please share your journey after!

I'm sure you'll have a great time. I looked to see what cruise you were going on and saw you're going on the Majesty of the Seas. You should have a great time. I was on her like 13 or 14 years ago and my sister just came back from the Majesty of the Seas in November. She had a blast.

Don't forget to let us know how your cruise was when you get back.

Just booked 2 night cruise out of NYC 1/18/13. First solo cruise and looking fwd to having a blast. Treating myself for my big birthday (30). :D

I'm sure you'll have a blast! Is that a cruise to nowhere? I looked at those when I first started looking at cruises and was planning to go to a much more expensive country in Asia. I decided to book a longer cruise and do a cheaper tour of Asia after.

Will you be celebrating your birthday on the ship? This is a seven month early 30th birthday present to me.

Bummed a bit because my 1st solo cruise will NOT be happening this month.(those of us who communicated at the start of this thread know I was plannin on going on my 1st solo MLK weekend) But I'm kinda ok with it bc I'm going on a cruise in March to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday! woohoo!

Happy Planning + Smooth Sailing to you all!

That sucks that you're not going on your first solo cruise, but I'm sure you'll have a great time celebrating your mom's birthday and you'll you get plan a different solo cruise in the future!

Have fun! My planning is stressing me out! Lol

I'm happy to see this thread, it's good to know there are other young adults cruising. I'm 29 and taking my first solo cruise 5/11/13 on the Splendour. Really looking forward to it. I've solo vacationed before in the Carribean and so I'm prepared for the "you're so brave" comments about traveling solo :rolleyes:

I did not do excursions. I did the tours outside. St. Maarten/St. Martin is a must to tour so you can see the differences between the french and dutch sides. I went to Maho beach to see the jumbo jets coming in very low. St. Thomas is known for shopping. And Nassau I would also do shopping, head to the slave museum and straw market. There is also fort Fincastle.

I'm sure you'll have a blast! Is that a cruise to nowhere? I looked at those when I first started looking at cruises and was planning to go to a much more expensive country in Asia. I decided to book a longer cruise and do a cheaper tour of Asia after.

Will you be celebrating your birthday on the ship? This is a seven month early 30th birthday present to me.

Yes, this is the 2 day cruise to nowhere. I went on the 1 day last year and had a blast. I won't be celeberating my bday on the ship, its actually this weekend. Hope you enjoy your longer cruise & tour of Asia. Sounds like fun! :)

I'm a 'younger' solo cruiser - turning 36 this Sunday, and going on my second solo cruise in Feb. I LOVED my first cruise - a spur of the moment escape from the nasty cold weather - that I booked the next almost as soon as I got back.

Someone said that you tend to meet people pretty quickly - and it's true. I sailed on a smaller ship, but it seemed like by Day 2-3 - I had started seeing 'familiar' faces, and had folks to hang out with - IF I wanted to!

I did one excursion through the ship, and did the others independently.

I've paid the 'supplement' both times - it's still the cheapest vacation option going, and having a roommate - esp. a stranger - would totally warp the solo/chill vibe I have going on once I'm aboard.

I'm a 'younger' solo cruiser - turning 36 this Sunday, and going on my second solo cruise in Feb. I LOVED my first cruise - a spur of the moment escape from the nasty cold weather - that I booked the next almost as soon as I got back.

Someone said that you tend to meet people pretty quickly - and it's true. I sailed on a smaller ship, but it seemed like by Day 2-3 - I had started seeing 'familiar' faces, and had folks to hang out with - IF I wanted to!

I did one excursion through the ship, and did the others independently.

I've paid the 'supplement' both times - it's still the cheapest vacation option going, and having a roommate - esp. a stranger - would totally warp the solo/chill vibe I have going on once I'm aboard.

Happy birthday! What ship did you travel on and which one are you going to be going on?

Just found this thread. Looking for my first solo cruise if my friends duck out (a usual for them).

Do you have any ideas of where, what ship and when? There are a lot of options out there. It took me three months to decide and book my cruise.

I am 27 and did my first SOLO cruise this past Oct. In fact, it was B2B 3 day followed by 4 day.

The first two days I was kinda to myself not really knowing how the solo cruising thing works. I was a little shy and quite around people. Then I decided I am going to step outside of the bubble and started talking to everyone on day 3! Well sadly that cruise was over...

But once the new guest got on I had a blast! Yeah people sometimes look at you weird when you tell them you are sailing alone. But guess what you get to do what you want when you want! I met some fun ladies pool side, which made me join the sexy man contest (I won 1st place by the way) I also met some older ladies at a show one night who I ate with the rest of the week.

So I guess my point is...You "can" have a lot of fun if you want.

Will I cruise solo again? Absolutely!!!! :D

Do you have any ideas of where, what ship and when? There are a lot of options out there. It took me three months to decide and book my cruise.

Yes...I'm getting pretty specific as my search continues. I want to head to the Caribbean (Eastern, ideally), RC, and early spring...March/April.

Cost is killing me, so day by day I'm seeing the prices creep up. It's making me nervous!

Hi everyone,

I am 35 and doing my 2nd solo cruise (6th cruise overall) in April. A 12 day transatlantic on Liberty of the Seas from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona.

My first solo was on a 4 day on the Monarch. It had been a particularly busy period at work and I just needed to get away. I had a blast. I found it incredibly relaxing not to have to answer to anyone or think of anyone else when making plans for the day. I met great people. I don't have the hardest time talking to people when I'm seated at a table, so I made sure I went to the MDR for breakfast to be seated with others and ended up really enjoying my dinner table. I also found the shyness I usually feel in other venues (like a bar or other social activity) went away once I was out at sea with people I didn't know.

Overall it was great and I'm really looking forward to this next one!

Marisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I'm 34 and did my first solo cruise in November on the Epic! I had a studio cabin and loved it! I've already booked my next cruise (also on the Epic) for next January. It'll be the special 8-day cruise... so one day more than the last one. I'm excited!

I met a lot of awesome people in November, so I am looking forward to meeting more awesome people next January! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am 27 and tackled my first solo experience on the Norwegian Jewel at 25 for a week. The first 3 days were a little lonely as I tried to strike up conversations with fellow cruisers and they all wondered what someone "so young" was doing on a cruise ship by herself. Its true that most, well all of my friends can't afford to take a cruise, let alone find vacation time to go for a full week but it was my bday and I wanted to splurge!

I've got my 2nd solo cruised for my 28th bday in December on the Norwegian Breakaway and can't wait to enjoy the solo lounge! I had a balcony on the jewel but it was impossible to know who else on board was sailing solo. :( Hopefully I'll have more luck this time around meeting some folks at least in their 30s.

I am 27 and tackled my first solo experience on the Norwegian Jewel at 25 for a week. The first 3 days were a little lonely as I tried to strike up conversations with fellow cruisers and they all wondered what someone "so young" was doing on a cruise ship by herself. Its true that most, well all of my friends can't afford to take a cruise, let alone find vacation time to go for a full week but it was my bday and I wanted to splurge!

I've got my 2nd solo cruised for my 28th bday in December on the Norwegian Breakaway and can't wait to enjoy the solo lounge! I had a balcony on the jewel but it was impossible to know who else on board was sailing solo. :( Hopefully I'll have more luck this time around meeting some folks at least in their 30s.

Awesome, good for you! The same thing happened to me when I took my first solo cruise last March! I'm a 28 year old grad student and wanted a few days of fun in the sun and none of my friends could join me, so I just went. I got the feeling people were feeling sorry for me being alone, especially since there were so many spring breakers on board. I ended up having a great time exploring, reading, and soaking in the sun.

I'm taking my 2nd solo cruise on the Jewel of the Seas 3/16-3/21 (with a balcony, sweet!). This time I'm planning to be a bit more outgoing and will actually eat one night in the MDR, which I found too intimidating last time. I also made at reservation for myself at Chops, no point in missing out on great food because we don't have dining companions!

Awesome, good for you! The same thing happened to me when I took my first solo cruise last March! I'm a 28 year old grad student and wanted a few days of fun in the sun and none of my friends could join me, so I just went. I got the feeling people were feeling sorry for me being alone, especially since there were so many spring breakers on board. I ended up having a great time exploring, reading, and soaking in the sun.

I'm taking my 2nd solo cruise on the Jewel of the Seas 3/16-3/21 (with a balcony, sweet!). This time I'm planning to be a bit more outgoing and will actually eat one night in the MDR, which I found too intimidating last time. I also made at reservation for myself at Chops, no point in missing out on great food because we don't have dining companions!

Cruising solo is cool Rachel! I actually did a little flirting with the salesman in the Duty Free shops and he treated me to dinner at Cagney's Restaurant since it was my bday! It was pretty cool!

The Breakaway is similiar to the Epic which I have been on twice. I can't wait to do the solo cabins out of NYC. Are you doing the studios on the Breakaway? The studio lounge really helps with meeting people and at the very least setting up meal plans with other solos. At 25 going on 26, I was the youngest "truly solo" traveler that I saw. But I still had fun.

Is there a roll call for solo's?

Hi,:) nope, but the roll call section is a really nice way to meet other

people on your same cruise. I am a bit older (alot) LOL than many of

you but I try to get along with everyone...my age, older than me,

younger than me, etc.:D

If there is not a roll call started for your particular sailing? I agree,

start one and hopefully you will meet some fun folks!:) Cruisers

are usually very friendly!

Archived