"Younger" Solo Cruisers

zactak

I am 29 and going on my first solo cruise in April of next year on the Celebrity Eclipse. My parents like to visit places I'm usually not interested in and most of my friends don't have the money to go on vacations like I want, so I've decided to go to Europe alone on a TA. Are there any "younger" solo cruisers out there? What have your experiences been like? I would categorize younger as 18-early 40's. It seems like most solo cruisers are in the 50s or older.

I'm 29 too, fitting into your category of "younger solo cruisers". My first and only cruise so far was solo, although it was a more stereotypical Caribbean itinerary with Carnival. I'm guessing you're more interested in the social aspects, rather than food/shows/service. In that sense, I had a blast: everybody was very friendly and open, and I met a lot of fun people. It was a perfect combination of going with the flow (interacting with new people I haven't met before) and having things under control (knowing the activity schedule). Most people on my ship were 21 to 45; not a lot of older people (by my definition, 50+), and very few kids. Kids were very well-behaved; I have not seen a single tantrum or unruly behavior.

Being 29, I could blend in with both the 20-something party crowd I hung out with in clubs and in one port, and the more serious 35+ crowd at my assigned dinner table and around the ship in general. (Not unlike code-switching by kids of immigrants, who speak English at school and their native language at home, both equally well.) I really liked it: I was able to get my party fix and have some mature conversations, all on the same cruise. There were a few lonely moments, but they were so few and far between, I barely noticed; and the lack of snoring and bathroom sharing in the small cabin more than made up for it. Feel free to check my review (link in signature) to see how it went.

Since you're doing a trans-Atlantic and not a Caribbean cruise, with Celebrity on top of that, you will have a higher proportion of older people and much less of a party atmosphere. If that's fine with you, go on your cruise, and have a blast. Don't worry about the ages. Your fellow passengers will talk to you as an equal and not as a "whippersnapper". There will still be plenty of activities to do onboard, only with lessons and lectures, rather than hairy chest contests like in my case. Good luck.

I sailed solo on Celebrity in 2010 when I was 28 years old and had a FANTASTIC time! I found that pretty much every person I met on the ship gave me looks of confusion/pity when they heard I was traveling solo at such a young age, but I just brushed it off because really, it doesn't matter what they think! :)

I took the cruise as a solo because most of my friends had boyfriends/fiances/husbands and wouldn't cruise without them, or they just didn't have the money/time off from work to take a vacation when I wanted to go. I picked Celebrity because a) they had a great itinerary for the dates of my vacation from work, b) I got a 125% singles supplement (ended up paying only $75 more total for an oceanview cabin on that cruise than I am paying for my share of an inside cabin on my cruise next wk which I am sharing with my friend!!), and c) because I heard the food on Celebrity was great (and they definitely did not disappoint me in that department!).

It turned out to be a terrific experience. I loved being able to do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. And as for the average age of Celebrity cruisers, I met lots of people in their 30's-50's and didn't have any trouble socializing with them. I took a port-intensive itinerary, and did many physically active excursions (booked privately, not through Celebrity), so the people on my excursions tended to be younger. But then again, the people at my MDR table were all in their 50's and we spent every night laughing and having a great time at dinner. I'm not sure how it would be on a TA cruise with all those sea days, but I am sure that once you meet a few people on board, you'll find ways to fill your days :) The link to my review is still in my signature below if you want to take a look- I went in to a lot of detail on my experiences as a 28 yo F solo traveler, so you might find it helpful.

I'm guessing you're more interested in the social aspects, rather than food/shows/service.

While the social aspect is an important factor for me, it's not a deciding factor. One of my pulls to Celebrity was the fact that there would be older people on the ship and so things will be a bit more low key. The food/wine/beer were three big pulls for me as well. Celebrity is known for thier food and has two bars specifically for wine and beer.

IFeel free to check my review (link in signature) to see how it went.

I definitely will check out your review!

I sailed solo on Celebrity in 2010 when I was 28 years old and had a FANTASTIC time! I found that pretty much every person I met on the ship gave me looks of confusion/pity when they heard I was traveling solo at such a young age, but I just brushed it off because really, it doesn't matter what they think! :)

I took the cruise as a solo because most of my friends had boyfriends/fiances/husbands and wouldn't cruise without them, or they just didn't have the money/time off from work to take a vacation when I wanted to go. I picked Celebrity because a) they had a great itinerary for the dates of my vacation from work, b) I got a 125% singles supplement (ended up paying only $75 more total for an oceanview cabin on that cruise than I am paying for my share of an inside cabin on my cruise next wk which I am sharing with my friend!!), and c) because I heard the food on Celebrity was great (and they definitely did not disappoint me in that department!).

It turned out to be a terrific experience. I loved being able to do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. And as for the average age of Celebrity cruisers, I met lots of people in their 30's-50's and didn't have any trouble socializing with them. I took a port-intensive itinerary, and did many physically active excursions (booked privately, not through Celebrity), so the people on my excursions tended to be younger. But then again, the people at my MDR table were all in their 50's and we spent every night laughing and having a great time at dinner. I'm not sure how it would be on a TA cruise with all those sea days, but I am sure that once you meet a few people on board, you'll find ways to fill your days :) The link to my review is still in my signature below if you want to take a look- I went in to a lot of detail on my experiences as a 28 yo F solo traveler, so you might find it helpful.

I'm glad to hear about your experience as a younger solo on Celebrity. I am planning to do more physically active excursions on the ports this ship plans to go to.

Did you do the my time dining, or did you go to dinner at one of the set times? I may be booking through a private group that will arrange our dinner times, but still wondering what other solos did just in case I don't go with the group.

Having so many days at sea was a pull for me to book this cruise. I love being alone and the opportunity to have people around me when I want them around. I work in a high stress field and love my alone time when I get it.

I am definitely going to be checking out your review too!

I'm glad to hear about your experience as a younger solo on Celebrity. I am planning to do more physically active excursions on the ports this ship plans to go to.

Did you do the my time dining, or did you go to dinner at one of the set times? I may be booking through a private group that will arrange our dinner times, but still wondering what other solos did just in case I don't go with the group.

Having so many days at sea was a pull for me to book this cruise. I love being alone and the opportunity to have people around me when I want them around. I work in a high stress field and love my alone time when I get it.

I am definitely going to be checking out your review too!

I did the late seating in the MDR bc I was originally hoping they would assign me to a table with other solo travelers or other people my age. That did not happen- in fact, they initially assigned me to a table with just me and one elderly couple! That would have been a nightmare! Needless to say, I spoke to the maitre'd and changed to another table and it worked out great. I liked having the same ppl at my table each night so we could catch up on what we did that day and we became friends by the end of the week. I'm not sure I would have liked ATD and having to start from scratch with new tablemates every night.

I'm 26 and plan to cruise solo sometime next year on NCL's Epic. It'll be my first solo cruise...so I'm not sure exactly what to expect. But what I am excited about is being able to do exactly what I want to do at any given time. Chilling out at the piano bar is not where my friends would want to be, but I'd check it out for 30 mins or so one night. And finding one lounge chair on a pool deck...or a good seat in the theatre...is a lot easier than finding 2 (or more) together.

I too have been a little worried about the demographic, but on previous cruises I have found that young couples cruising (even those who are honeymooning!) are excited to talk to someone other than their SO after a few days :)

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

When you do decide to cruise and then come back please be sure to come back here and tell us all about the wonderful time you had!!

Ok, so my first solo cruise is gonna be REALLY quick, just a weekend on the Celebrity Constellation in January, but I'm excited!!

I'll be sure to let ya know how it went and thanks again to everyone for their helpful info and advice. :D

I did 3 solo trips this year, and they were all amazing. I'm the "roomie" Xena mentioned hehehehe. All three cruises were very different experiences but I enjoyed them all. I wrote the Alaska review and I'm in the process of sharing the one for the Jade on the NCL board. Go and enjoy yourself!!!

My first cruise was solo on Holland's Eurodam. I had a blast. I am a 29 year old male. I'm not the wild party type, but Im a foodie, love music, art, comedy, etc. If I can have fun on the Eurodam, I'm certain you can have fun on whatever ship you choose. A vacation is what we make it!

I had a few people ask me why I was cruising alone, but I didn't find it offensive at all. I just answered, and it usually made a good conversation starter. I'm not a huge social person, but I was very surprised by how many people would introduce themselves to me, or just initiate conversation. I had a very good time. My next cruise will be solo on Celebrity Reflection! I can't wait. I haven't booked yet, but I'm thinking late May or April 2013.

My second cruise was with family members on Carnival Magic. I didn't care for Carnival. I still enjoyed my vacation, but I didn't like the food, cheesy decor, subpar service, or sailing with family that much. A couple of family members brought some family drama on the ship. So I spent much of the time wishing I was solo on a better ship. LOL!

I hear Celebrity has delicious food, superb service, and the from the pics I can tell that the ships are BEAUTIFUL!

I did the late seating in the MDR bc I was originally hoping they would assign me to a table with other solo travelers or other people my age. That did not happen- in fact, they initially assigned me to a table with just me and one elderly couple! That would have been a nightmare! Needless to say, I spoke to the maitre'd and changed to another table and it worked out great. I liked having the same ppl at my table each night so we could catch up on what we did that day and we became friends by the end of the week. I'm not sure I would have liked ATD and having to start from scratch with new tablemates every night.

It could have been like you were eating with your grandparents each night! ;) jk. That definitely would have been awkward I think. Its good that you were able to get your table changed. I'm planning to go with a group that has dinner together every night, but I would probably do late seating too if I don't go with this group. I would want the reassurance that I sit with the same people every evening.

I'm 26 and plan to cruise solo sometime next year on NCL's Epic. It'll be my first solo cruise...so I'm not sure exactly what to expect. But what I am excited about is being able to do exactly what I want to do at any given time. Chilling out at the piano bar is not where my friends would want to be, but I'd check it out for 30 mins or so one night. And finding one lounge chair on a pool deck...or a good seat in the theatre...is a lot easier than finding 2 (or more) together.

I too have been a little worried about the demographic, but on previous cruises I have found that young couples cruising (even those who are honeymooning!) are excited to talk to someone other than their SO after a few days :)

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

When I was deciding which cruise to go on, the Celebrity Eclipse, Reflection and NCL Epic were all on my short list. I'm sure with the studio and studio lounge they have that you'll have a blast. I would book early though if you are doing a studio. The studio already sold out for the cruise I was considering on the Epic. The entertainment on the ship sounds amazing. I'm sure I might eventually venture onto her if I enjoy my solo cruise. Let us know how your trip was when you get back!

My first cruise was solo on Holland's Eurodam. I had a blast. I am a 29 year old male. I'm not the wild party type, but Im a foodie, love music, art, comedy, etc. If I can have fun on the Eurodam, I'm certain you can have fun on whatever ship you choose. A vacation is what we make it!

I had a few people ask me why I was cruising alone, but I didn't find it offensive at all. I just answered, and it usually made a good conversation starter. I'm not a huge social person, but I was very surprised by how many people would introduce themselves to me, or just initiate conversation. I had a very good time. My next cruise will be solo on Celebrity Reflection! I can't wait. I haven't booked yet, but I'm thinking late May or April 2013.

My second cruise was with family members on Carnival Magic. I didn't care for Carnival. I still enjoyed my vacation, but I didn't like the food, cheesy decor, subpar service, or sailing with family that much. A couple of family members brought some family drama on the ship. So I spent much of the time wishing I was solo on a better ship. LOL!

I hear Celebrity has delicious food, superb service, and the from the pics I can tell that the ships are BEAUTIFUL!

Wow, yeah I would say if you had the fun you did on the Eurodam, most of us can have fun on any ship! lol. I did a little research on the Eurodam before choosing my cruise.

You sound very similar to me. I'm a foodie, wine-o, love a good glass of beer, art, comedy and music. I actually caught myself watching documentaries on the Smithsonian channel last night. One reason I chose Celebrity was the wine and beer they had on the ship.

I was considering the Reflection TA in April of 2013 and I much prefer that itinerary, but I found an interest group going on the Eclipse and switched over to that ship.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Wow, yeah I would say if you had the fun you did on the Eurodam, most of us can have fun on any ship! lol. I did a little research on the Eurodam before choosing my cruise.

You sound very similar to me. I'm a foodie, wine-o, love a good glass of beer, art, comedy and music. I actually caught myself watching documentaries on the Smithsonian channel last night. One reason I chose Celebrity was the wine and beer they had on the ship.

I was considering the Reflection TA in April of 2013 and I much prefer that itinerary, but I found an interest group going on the Eclipse and switched over to that ship.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You're very welcome!

LOL! Even my agent questioned me choosing the Eurodam. But I really had a good time.

I too enjoy a nice drink. I look forward to the Michaels Club! :D

Btw- I decided to cruise April 13th on Reflection. I'll be booked tomorrow!!! That's my Christmas present to myself. :) excited!

You're very welcome!

LOL! Even my agent questioned me choosing the Eurodam. But I really had a good time.

Btw- I decided to cruise April 13th on Reflection. I'll be booked tomorrow!!! That's my Christmas present to myself. :) excited!

I just sailed on Reflection. It was the 3 night Inaugural.....she is a

beauty and I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

You're very welcome!

That should be a fun cruise to go on! I am looking forward to the Michaels Club and Cellar Masters bars on the Eclipse myself.

I was considering the 4/20 Reflection cruise. I'm sure you'll have a great time on yours. My trip is my 30th birthday present to myself.

That should be a fun cruise to go on! I am looking forward to the Michaels Club and Cellar Masters bars on the Eclipse myself.

I was considering the 4/20 Reflection cruise. I'm sure you'll have a great time on yours. My trip is my 30th birthday present to myself.

Don't forget the Molecular Bar. The drinks there are not to be believed and it does tend to be a gathering place for the younger crowd.

I just returned from Eurodam and it was the first cruise of my 71 that I couldn't wait to get off from. Not a good experience in any way, shape or form.

Don't forget the Molecular Bar. The drinks there are not to be believed and it does tend to be a gathering place for the younger crowd.

I just returned from Eurodam and it was the first cruise of my 71 that I couldn't wait to get off from. Not a good experience in any way, shape or form.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I enjoyed the Eurodam! But that was 2 years ago.

What a great way to Celebrate your birthday!!!! We are fortunate to be able to treat ourselves like this. :D I turn 30 July 7th, I'm still trying to decide how I will celebrate such a grand occasion.

Ah, yes... the Molecular Bar. I do love the occasional martini too!

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad time on the Eurodam. Did you go on that cruise solo? How many of your 71 have been solo? (that's a lot of cruises!)

What a great way to Celebrate your birthday!!!! We are fortunate to be able to treat ourselves like this. :D I turn 30 July 7th, I'm still trying to decide how I will celebrate such a grand occasion.

My 30th isn't until October, but I decided I wanted to go on a vacation a little earlier than my actual birthday and the cost will make it my present :) I'm going to stay another two weeks traveling around Europe after I disembark the cruise. I'm still debating what to do for my actual 30th.

I'm sure whatever you choose to do for your 30th will be a great time.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be 27 the week after I get back from my first cruise. Going to the Caribbean on the Epic. Should be awesome. :)

Nice :) when you get back you'll have to write a review for us. I am considering the March 2 sailing on the Epic. The studios and entertainment really drew me to the ship.

My cruise was great! I will say that the solo cabins combined with the studio lounge makes meeting people and setting up outings with others much easier. I also found that meeting younger non-solo travelers was still somewhat easy. A lot of times they were traveling with family rather than couples so they sometimes wanted to get away from family and meet others as well.

Archived