shopping info please

animallovers2

There are lots of shopping options.....

Coxen Hole has some neat shops.

West End Village has some too.

Even West Bay Beach area has a few altho mostly touristy stuff.

I like walking the sandy road in West End Village and shopping there. I have bought a couple of very nice items there. First trip I bought a beautiful wood large vase (@ 20" tall) and last trip I bought a large wooden salad bowl with 6 small bowls to serve in. Same design. Lots of woven items (purses, wall hangings etc) done in the very bright designs of the area. There is a nice art gallery there too.

In Coxen Hole there is a cameo factory and store. Made from shells. Haven't been there.

One of my favorite items was purchased at the airport while waiting for our flight in July........ it is a Christmas ornament of a small gourd carved out with a nativity scene in the middle. Whole thing is maybe 5 inches tall...... very cool.

what are the best island items to shop for,

There really are not any except for maybe a few art pieces or paintings, most which are not my taste as they often are slightly above a childs fingerpainting skill level. The fine wood carvings and such are from the mainland so they are Honduran, just not Island items, most of the woven items are from Guatamala and a close look at a lot of the smaller trinket things are from china. All in all, the most popular items are the wood carvings, bowls, frames etc, Coffee, and Flor De Cana Rum, which is actually from Nicaragua. The store at the Plaza Mar complex actually has one of the largest selections and best pricing as long as your not with a cruise ship crowd.

thanks all. One more question. I know they will take us money. would i be better off to get honduran money instead

No, Not at all, You will simply be wasting time and letting others make money if you exchange US for Lempira. If you were doind a hundred thousand dollar real estate deal in cash it may be worth it to get Lemps

. The store at the Plaza Mar complex actually has one of the largest selections and best pricing as long as your not with a cruise ship crowd.

Is this in Coxen Hole? Where? DH is always interested in find pieces of wood carvings from our travels for his office. We'll be in Roatan for 9 days in late jan and will have lots of time to stroll for "things".

Archived