Holland America Formal Night Dress Code

treesah

A bow tie and a smile! ;)

Here's a question for you: Where does the boutonniere go? (Assume that the thorns have been removed from the roses for the purpose of our discussion.)

<snip> But imagine my shock when the VERY FIRST reply to my question (which apparently has since been deleted) was basically, "go away, we don't want you there."<snip.

The wonderful experience of an online bulletin board. Remember, you don't need to have participated in formal night to comment; you don't even need to know the difference between formal wear and a nice sparkly top. Heck, you don't even need to have sailed on a HAL ship or even to have sailed on any ship. All you need to comment is a once valid email address and the ability to type. You don't even need to spell correctly to post your opinion. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

No offense intended, but that is your idea of a vacation and there are cruiselines that offer just that experience for you. However, to many of us, part of an enjoyable vacation is dressing up -- I specifically didn't say "playing dress up" because we aren't playing -- we are taking part in an activity we enjoy.

Just like your idea of a fun vacation may be zip-lining and mine may be finding a gourmet restaurant in a port, people have different ideas on what constitutes a "vacation".

No offense taken IG. But you see the difference do you not? I'm not forcing you to zipline with me. (BTW, I don't zipline, I'd probably break my neck, LOL) However it appears from your response that you do want to force me to dress in uncomfortable clothing for the evening, because for some inexplicable reason to me, me adding a coat and tie to my dress shirt and slack somehow affects your experience. Seriously? :confused:

EDIT TO ADD: Several people have mentioned just sticking with other lines as if NOBODY on the other lines dress up. I can assure you that is not the case. On my cruise last year SEVERAL people were dressed formally, maybe more were than weren't. And guess what? The evening went fine, everybody had a good time and good meal. Those who liked dressing formally had a good time, those who'd didn't dress had a good time. It just isn't a big deal.

Edited by ghjcmo
Additional thought