Holland America Formal Night Dress Code

treesah

Has anyone had any experience with the Noordam? I just tonight booked a 10 day cruise there starting March 20th. According to HAL's website, I can expect two formal nights. I simply don't have the room in my baggage for my suit and frankly I'm on vacation and I don't want to wear a suit to dinner.

Carnival is very informal and I love that. If the Noordam is one of the strict ships, I'll just skip formal nights.

Thanks in advance.

Well that probably will be my plan, however I fail to see how someone not wearing a suit can truly hurt your dinner. Frankly I find your attitude a little disheartening and if this the attitude I can expect on Holland America, then I've clearly made a mistake. I do not recall it being that stuffy when I cruised with them in 2001 and 2002.

And for what it's worth, I'm not one of the "t-shirt and jeans" crowd. I ALWAYS wear either polos or oxford button downs and dress pants or good kakis.

Well that probably will be my plan, however I fail to see how someone not wearing a suit can truly hurt your dinner. Frankly I find your attitude a little disheartening and if this the attitude I can expect on Holland America, then I've clearly made a mistake. I do not recall it being that stuffy when I cruised with them in 2001 and 2002.

And for what it's worth, I'm not one of the "t-shirt and jeans" crowd. I ALWAYS wear either polos or oxford button downs and dress pants or good kakis.

Add a jacket/blazer to either of those and you will be fine.

Well it's a matter of space really, just don't really have the room for it.

I've noticed they (HAL) discuss observing the dress code for the evening, but if one choose to go casual and dine on the lido deck, seems like it would be difficult to differentiate between the "casual diners" and the formal diners. I'm talking about in the common areas after dinner, such as the auditorium for the shows.

I turn 54 next week and I wonder if I will be the youngest person on the ship. LOL

Welcome to CC and sailing with HAL. The majority of us truly believe in inclusivity and are always available to answer your questions. The formal dress issue is always a heated topic but the HAL standards do not require a tuxedo or even a suit. If anyone mentions your lack of tuxedo in the MDR, they should be referred to the Dining Room Manager.

You are most welcome on Formal Nights with a jacket and tie. I recommend the jacket from Travelsmith to wear both on your flight and on Formal Nights. With lots of pockets, it can hold cameras, batteries and chargers, and other items that will save some weight from your luggage.

It is my experience that only about 10% wear tuxedos to the MDR (I make a habit of doing a count during my fixed dining since it is always a big issue here on the HAL Forum), feel free to join the 90% who have changed with the new HAL Formal Night standards.

On occasion, I wear my hiking shoes with my jacket and tie on Formal Night so that is another luggage saving tip for you.

The tuxedo-wearing folks are fading away but they remain vocal in their wish to return to former times. If they wish to wear a tuxedo, I applaud their choice but mine is relegated to the back of my closet.

The second Formal Night usually serves lobster tail. Order two if you wish.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks CN, I may try to squeeze in a sport jacket, or as you suggested, wear it on my flight to Ft Lauderdale.

I guess I've gotten a little spoiled as my last 6 cruises have either been with Carnival or RCL. And they just aren't quite THAT uptight about the dress code. I cruised with HAL for my first 2 cruises and I guess I'd forgotten that I packed my suit for those two cruises. (I think that was because my girlfriend at the time made me. LOL)

Push comes to shove, I'll just eat on the Lido deck. Not really a big deal I guess. But I guess I think vacations ought to be about relaxing instead of playing dress up.

Well it's a matter of space really, just don't really have the room for it.

I've noticed they (HAL) discuss observing the dress code for the evening, but if one choose to go casual and dine on the lido deck, seems like it would be difficult to differentiate between the "casual diners" and the formal diners. I'm talking about in the common areas after dinner, such as the auditorium for the shows.

I turn 54 next week and I wonder if I will be the youngest person on the ship. LOL

Outside of the dining room you will be fine in pretty much anything....most certainly what you describe.......

Thanks CN, I may try to squeeze in a sport jacket, or as you suggested, wear it on my flight to Ft Lauderdale.

I guess I've gotten a little spoiled as my last 6 cruises have either been with Carnival or RCL. And they just aren't quite THAT uptight about the dress code. I cruised with HAL for my first 2 cruises and I guess I'd forgotten that I packed my suit for those two cruises. (I think that was because my girlfriend at the time made me. LOL)

Push comes to shove, I'll just eat on the Lido deck. Not really a big deal I guess. But I guess I think vacations ought to be about relaxing instead of playing dress up.

You may also order the same meal served in the MDR to be delivered to your stateroom. Dinner on a verandah is a nice touch for a cruise.

You may also order the same meal served in the MDR to be delivered to your stateroom. Dinner on a verandah is a nice touch for a cruise.

That's an interesting idea. In my experience on other lines, the room service had an extremely limited menu, and I don't think they had the same options as the MDR.

I guess in the end I'll probably try to find room for my suit/sport coat as I'm traveling alone, and the MDR is about the only way I have much "social contact." Last May was my first "alone cruise" and I loved the freedom of doing what I want, but I also enjoyed getting together with the same group for dinner every night.

Edited by ghjcmo

You won't be the youngest you won't spoil my dinner. I never implied u would. I am far from stuffy I just like dressing up. I don't travel on Carnival because I don't fit the profile per say. You'll be fine on HAL but don't assume things about fellow travelers either

That's an interesting idea. In my experience on other lines, the room service had an extremely limited menu, and I don't think they had the same options as the MDR.

I guess in the end I'll probably try to find room for my suit/sport coat as I'm traveling alone, and the MDR is about the only way I have much "social contact." Last May was my first "alone cruise" and I loved the freedom of doing what I want, but I also enjoyed getting together with the same group for dinner every night.

The DRM has jackets to "loan" to those going into the dining room without. Go and enjoy! As long as you are clean and tidy and with a jacket and/or tie (I'm never sure which as I've seen people without both on formal night) you can enjoy dinner with others.

The DRM has jackets to "loan" to those going into the dining room without. Go and enjoy! As long as you are clean and tidy and with a jacket and/or tie (I'm never sure which as I've seen people without both on formal night) you can enjoy dinner with others.

Apparently from what I read in this thread, it can vary a lot from ship to ship. Hence my question about the Noordam specifically. I was hoping somebody who had been on that ship might be able to give me a little insight.

My husband is stubborn and refuses to pack a jacket. On formal nights I wear black pants and a sparkly top and he gets a loaner jacket hanging near the entrance. He has room to pack one, he is just honery.

We were on the Noordam for 3 weeks earlier this year. The biggest problem we had at dinner any night was the slow service. The food was fine but some nights it took 2.5 hours to eat. We were in open dining.

Have a great cruise!

Here is the scanned Room Service menu that is currently available 24/7:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Room-Service.pdf

It is my experience that the Lido Restaurant serves almost the identical menu served in the MDR for Formal Night with the exception of lobster tails.

Since you will be on the Noordam soon, here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant and Beverage menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

They will turn you away from the MDR without a jacket/tie but will not stop you from wearing athletic shoes on Formal Night. It must be noted a number of jackets pass through the MDR doorway and then find their way to the back of chairs.

As an aside, I saw one gentleman adorned in full Ben Franklin attire, complete with silk waistcoat, white stockings, and buckle shoes.

No offense intended, but that is your idea of a vacation and there are cruiselines that offer just that experience for you. However, to many of us, part of an enjoyable vacation is dressing up -- I specifically didn't say "playing dress up" because we aren't playing -- we are taking part in an activity we enjoy.

Just like your idea of a fun vacation may be zip-lining and mine may be finding a gourmet restaurant in a port, people have different ideas on what constitutes a "vacation".

Since many of us have found a cruiseline that provides the experience we look for, we hate to see others try to change the rules on the ships we have chosen rather than stick to the ships that cater to the experience they are looking for.

However, to many of us, part of an enjoyable vacation is dressing up we are taking part in an activity we enjoy.

Perhaps if we call it Country Club formal, would this be a more-encompassing term. Namely dark suits or tux for men. Perhaps the standard would be what one would wear to meet some VIP, to a formal wedding, church service etc.

The only time I was a bit perturb was on a formal night when some-60ish or 70-ish man appeared in a bright orange tee-shirt, shorts and slippers (flip-flops).

Here is the scanned Room Service menu that is currently available 24/

As an aside, I saw one gentleman adorned in full Ben Franklin attire, complete with silk waistcoat, white stockings, and buckle shoes.

That seals the deal. I'm bringing my civil war re-enactment ball gown. Now how to pack the hoops...

No offense intended, but that is your idea of a vacation and there are cruiselines that offer just that experience for you. However, to many of us, part of an enjoyable vacation is dressing up -- I specifically didn't say "playing dress up" because we aren't playing -- we are taking part in an activity we enjoy.

You know, I was thinking about it last night and to a certain extent I agree with you. I guess it's good there's a line that still does this. In this particular case, I was picking the itinerary (and oddly enough the price) and not the cruise line. I didn't really give "dressing up" a second thought, I mistakenly thought the industry had changed across the board. Then I stumbled across some info on the web regarding this, and decided to do further research.

However, I just don't understand how me not dressing up spoils that experience for other people. I guess this one of those "Agree to disagree" things. It's all good. :)

EDIT TO ADD: I guess based on what CN is telling me, I guess I'll have to decide if lobster tail is worth dragging along a suit or sport coat. LOL

Edited by ghjcmo

I have mentioned before that there is no way I would give others the power of ruining my experience by letting what they wear affect me. I enjoy dressing up but if others don't, I just look at as a topic of conversation. I still have a great evening.

However, I just don't understand how me not dressing up spoils that experience for other people.

I enjoy formal night because everyone on the ship is dressed up and you feel part of a larger group that is sharing and values that same experience.

When people choose to not comply with group norms that were established as part of the deal, it creates stress because one can feel as if they don't fit it and they are the outside of the norms.

When everyone complies with the dress code they agreed to prior to sailing it helps create an ambiance I enjoy. When people choose not to conform, the ambiance is less and not as enjoyable (aka spoiled) as it could be.

Not conforming to agreed upon group norms is a way to passively inform other passengers that one finds those values and experience unimportant and silly - and that is disrespectful and lessens (spoils) the experience.

Hope this helps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Pete and Judy