Torn between HAL and Princess

DebJ14

We originally booked Alaska out of Seattle on the Golden Princess in an aft facing Vista Suite. The airfare has been purchased.

I got a private sale notice from HAL and we can sail the same day on the Oosterdam from Seattle in an SB aft facing Deluxe Suite for $1181.00 cheaper. The main reason is the cost of the 3rd person is 700 lower. Even if I upgrade to an SA Suite it will still be cheaper than Princess by $900.

Any thoughts?

I have been reading reviews of both ships and lines and the Oosterdam has had some

pretty bad reviews saying it is run down, furniture is worn tired and the food and service has declined.

We are past passengers on both lines and loved our cruises on the Ryndam and Statendam,but that was before all the cutbacks. Our Last HAL was 2004. We weren't so thrilled with our previous Princess cruise on the Golden (food was awful) in 2003 well before the Golden had her refit in 2009.

Can anyone who has recently been on either ship or both comment?

Pictures of the Oosterdam suite don't make it look like anything special except for the wrap around balcony. It actually looks very much like a Carnival suite, except for the color scheme. The Princess cabin looks nicer, but the balcony has a beam that partially obstructs the view.

Cabin C751 on the Golden is booked and deposited and 8140 on the Oosterdam has to be deposited by Monday. Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

I will also post this on the Princess Board.

I have been on both ships but not recently. IMO HAL does Alaska better. Both lines have cutbacks these dayd. In September this year we did the Zuiderdam to Alaska and the next week the Sapphire Princess Coastal. Preferred the week on the Zuiderdam; better food, service and ambiance. We do minisuites on Princess and generally deluxe suites on HAL - HAL has the Neptune Lounge and Princess does not have anything comparable for suite passengers. In the end, you have to decide - which itinerary is better in your mind.

We originally booked Alaska out of Seattle on the Golden Princess in an aft facing Vista Suite. The airfare has been purchased.

I got a private sale notice from HAL and we can sail the same day on the Oosterdam from Seattle in an SB aft facing Deluxe Suite for $1181.00 cheaper. The main reason is the cost of the 3rd person is 700 lower. Even if I upgrade to an SA Suite it will still be cheaper than Princess by $900.

Any thoughts?

I have been reading reviews of both ships and lines and the Oosterdam has had some

pretty bad reviews saying it is run down, furniture is worn tired and the food and service has declined.

We are past passengers on both lines and loved our cruises on the Ryndam and Statendam,but that was before all the cutbacks. Our Last HAL was 2004. We weren't so thrilled with our previous Princess cruise on the Golden (food was awful) in 2003 well before the Golden had her refit in 2009.

Pictures of the Oosterdam suite don't make it look like anything special except for the wrap around balcony. It actually looks very much like a Carnival suite, except for the color scheme. The Princess cabin looks nicer, but the balcony has a beam that partially obstructs the view.

Cabin C751 on the Golden is booked and deposited and 8140 on the Oosterdam has to be deposited by Monday. Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

We always sailed on HAL, so I can't comment on Princess. We were on the Oosterdam in wraparaound aft cabin SB7142 in May of this year and the cruise, cabin, food and Neptune staff was fabulous. We've been to Alaska three out of the last four years and we've always docked downtown. The Princess ships always docked about a mile away at the AJ dock. We will be on our fourth Alaska cruise in May of next year, again in cabin SB7142, but on the Zuiderdam leaving Vancouver.

I have posted some links below of photos of the cabin, veranda, some of the hundreds of whales we saw from our unobstructed deck and menus. Of course the menus will be different, but you can see what was offered this year on our seven day cruise.

Ken

Photos: http://s966.beta.photobucket.com/user/kjw869/library/Tracy%20Arm%202012

Menus: http://s966.beta.photobucket.com/user/kjw869/library/Oosterdam%20Alaska%202012%20Menus

Thank you for your comments. Great pictures!

Deb, I did forget to mention that the dry cleaning and laundry came back the same day on the times we had it taken very earlier. That feature along with Neptune Lounge and Pinnacle breakfasts are great perks included in your Deluxe Suite. I'm not sure if Princess has the same amenities for your suite on their line.

The only sad part of leaving from Vancouver is we will miss one of our favorite ports--Sitka. The scenery is wonderful and it's great too have a stop where there are no Diamonds International or other same type jewelry shops.

Deb, I did forget to mention that the dry cleaning and laundry came back the same day on the times we had it taken very earlier. That feature along with Neptune Lounge and Pinnacle breakfasts are great perks included in your Deluxe Suite. I'm not sure if Princess has the same amenities for your suite on their line.

The only sad part of leaving from Vancouver is we will miss one of our favorite ports--Sitka. The scenery is wonderful and it's great too have a stop where there are no Diamonds International or other same type jewelry shops.

Princess does not have a concierge lounge like the Neptune lounge (coming on their newest ship) but they offer a flower arrangement, corsages etc on formal night, one free mini bar set up, laundry and breakfast at Sabatinis with a Mimosa every morning as well as the full menus available for room service.

Personally, I avoid Diamonds International and all the other cruiseline recommended stores like the plague!

Although we have never sailed on the HAL Oosterdam, we have sailed on six other HAL ships and do enjoy the ambiance. We have also sailed on the Golden Princess and felt that it was a beautiful ship and we had a wonderful cruise. Either way you will be sailing out of Seattle and we very much enjoyed a three day post cruise stay there when we sailed to Alaska.

All of that being said, we will no longer book a HAL balcony until they come up with a 21st Century smoking policy. On the other hand saving between $900 to $1,100 might just make me change my mind!:D

Any thoughts?

We're switching to Princess for Alaska next year because HAL doesn't include Skagway on its Seattle sailings anymore, and Skagway is our favorite port.

Personally, I avoid Diamonds International and all the other cruiseline recommended stores like the plague!

We feel the same way about those stores. I've spoken to many of the residents of Juneau and Ketchikan, and they avoid "their" downtown areas during the cruise season. I hope Sitka doesn't allow these in the future, as this quaint historic town is fine without them.

The fellow above me mentioned Skagway was his favorite port. We haven't been there yet but I hope they don't have Diamonds International and all those other types in their downtown.

I would look at itineraries. Which glacier area will each see? How long in each port? Someone mentioned HAL was not going to Skagway out of Seattle, but I believe they go to Sitka, which is also a wonderful port. No matter what you decide you can't see Alaska all in one trip. Good luck with your decision. With the kind of savings you are looking at I would book HAL IF the itinerary were comparable to the Princess itinerary.

We were on the Oosterdam two weeks ago and were given information during the ship's tour about the dry dock in Garden Island, Sydney this December. Carpets and soft furnishings in public areas (not specified) and suites will be replaced with new and the computer room will be renewed and refurbished . The azipods will be serviced and the hull will be scrubbed, painted and polished - both these should improve the timing in ports for the Alaska run. Plus a general scrub and polish all over in all areas. Our stewards were looking forward to 8 hour days of cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning but also to nightts off in port!

The laundry and drycleaning service on HAL is superior to Princess (IMO) and the Neptune Lounge is a real plus that is not available on Princess.

Archived