Tell me about the Vision of the Seas...

FYI - Mexican Riviera

Dinning Room Attire ...no shorts or hats in formal dinning room

Formal nites are Monday and Friday

Rest of the nites - casual dress

Dinning Room entree & dessert menu is about the same with the exception of alternative entrees in the Windjammer Cafe.

I kept the VOS daily activites newsletters "Compass", if anyone interest regarding on- board activity, post your questions & I'll try and answer it for you.

For fellas who are interested in the behind scene ship operations, the Captain conducts a Nautical Notes Seminar in the Masquerade Theater on the last Sunday.

The VOS will go into dry dock in San Francisco January '06 for a few weeks.

Hi,

We were on this ship September 16 for a repositioning from Vancouver to LA. Our ports were Victoria, Skagway, Juneau, San Francisco, ending in LA. Didn't make it into Skagway due to rough seas (captain said 30 foot high waves) so he rerouted us to Icy Strait. Had a great time there. Went to "The Office" for dungeness crab and beer. The town was not expecting us to be there (they were notifed about 9:00 pm the night before) but yet they still did a great job of providing service. We didn't book any of the excursions that they scrambled to put together for our stop there.

The ship is in great shape and the staff were excellent. Our Waiter (Fernando) and our Assistant Waiter (Florian) were the absolute best. The Head Waiter (Ryan) was the best we have ever had. He took the time to actually come by the table and talk every night. Asked what we did, gave suggestions for things to see in the ports. We nominated him for the "staff of the month".

We had an aft cabin (7152) that was very nice with a big balcony that wrapped around to the side. Since this was an Alaska cruise, it was a bit cold and we had rain, but we still used the balcony a lot. I would love this balcony for a warm weather cruise.

The captain was Captain George and he was GREAT!!!!!

Lynnett

Happy to here all the good things about the vision of the seas.We have a cruise booked for 11/19/06 to the mexican riviera.We have a 17year old and 15 year old(boys) do you think they will keep entertained on this size ship?We have been on the navigator class ships the last two cruises and we never saw them.That really broke my heart.NOOOTTTT!!!!!!!!

Gene:cool:

hey Gene!! Miss you guys! We're headed in February to CA to leave on our Panama Canal cruise. Hoping to get in a Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas in '07.

How big is the Vision compared to the Navigator? The Navigator is the only ship I know anything about. LOL What "class" is it in? (Are those size classes, or am I just making things up?)

I hope threads like this aren't frowned upon

Well, since no one answered these questions, I will. The Navigator of the Seas (a Voyager class ship) is about twice the size of the Vision of the Seas (a Vision class ship). However, the Navigator does not carry twice the number of people, so there is more room per person (space ratio) on the Navigator when compared to the Vision. With all that extra room the Navigator offers more choices than the Vision does.

I have about 120 photographs of the Vision, however, they are posted on another board, so I don't know if I can provide the link for you here.

As to your thread, it is perfectly fine. This is exactly what the forum is for. So you can post questions and others can answer them.

FYI - I have cruised on the Navigator and I have been to all three ports you are going to last year, and two of the ports again this year.

I sailed on the Vision last Christmas after having previously sailed her during her inaugural season in 1998 and this last trip was better than the first! The ship was sold out and never felt crowded. The food and staff were excellent. I most recently did a tour of the ship a few weeks ago and she's holding up well and will be going into drydock Jan 2-12 in San Fran.

The Vision is roughly the same size as the Disney ships so you should feel very comfortable.

I am giving arts & crafts classes on the Vision on 2/19 - it will be my 15th cruise and my FIRST with a romantic partner! Can you believe that! My first was on Carnival with my 11 year old son, then both kids on Disney, then with a friend to New Orleans for Mardi Gras on RC1, then a transatlantic with two 11 year old girls; eventually I started giving classes on board and I have tended to bring childhood friends, girlfriends, and sisters, or one of my kids.

I can't tell you how excited I am to be going with my lovely beau. He's never been on a cruise and I know he will be open to all the new, fun experiences. And hopefully, I'll experience a few things on board that have escaped me on my first 14 cruises! :eek:

we went on this same cruise last year and had a great time!!

We stayed two days in California before going on the cruise, we live in Rhode Island so we have never been on the west coast. We visited the Queen Mary, Long Beach (where we stayed) LA, and Disney.

The cruise was great, we love the smalle ships, so much fun, the cruise staff was fun. weather could have been warmer but we soo enjoyed it. THere was a hugh rain storm one day and we had so much fun swimming in our pool by ourselves int he pouring rain. It was fun allthe senior citizens could be seen looking down at us from the viking crown lodge shaking their heads at us in disbelife, but it was fun, people even started to come in the pool with us.

Cabo I could have done without. we went snorkling which was a waiste of time and money because the water was sooo cold and clowdy we only snorkled about ten minutes.

Mazatlan we enjoyed sooo much. We were supposed to go on Randi Happy horses but she left without us NO biggy, we had a great time. We took a cab to the gold zone?? ran into a local who took us to the beach were there was parasaling for $20-25 cant remember actuall price, but cheap, and horses and jetskies, and 4 wheeler and the shopping was great. The locals were tough since they were everywhere trying to sell their goos, even little kids maybe 3 trying to sell me chicklets, that was hard, but you jsut say NO. My boyfriend does not trust ANYONE!!!

But for some reason he did the man on the street who took us directly to the beach we rented jetskies, and all he had was a 100 bill, and the sking was 60 I think. Anyway he gave the man the hundred and the guy went and got change, was gone like 10 minutes, I thought so long 100 but he returned and was soo nice we gave him a good tip Im still shocked he trusted him but it says something about the people.

Puerto Vallarta was awesome, we did the canopy tour which was great, pricey but sooo worth it if you get the chance DO IT> you will love it even ifyou are afraid of heights. The trip to the sight was fun too becasue you got to see sides of Mexico you dont normally see, like the prison the ride was atleast and hour.

THe ship stayed late inPV so we went into town after dinner and enjoyed the night. Went to The ZOO which was a local bar, but dont go if you dont want to be frisked and have ashot poured down your mount and have you nipples pinched even when you say no!!!

in fact they poured it down my mouth before I even had a thought or before she asked if we had moeny, which we did but my boyfriend told her we didnt, we didnt want to have the drink it was forced on us so why should we pay they did not seem to mind.

We were thinking of going back but we wanted warmer weather. SO we opted for the caribbean.'

Sorry so long

• 1 month later...

I went on the Vision in APril of this year with my dh, sister and brother in law... it was a great cruise, loved the ports. We were on the 3rd level (I think) and had an adjoining room with my sister - very small room, but good use of space. I had only sailed on carnival before, so the Vision to me seemed to have cramped hallways and low ceilings. The rest of the ship I loved - the pool was spectacular... and the indoor pool was very nice the last 2 sea days because the weather was FREEZING on deck... so cold they did the parades inside. It was late April so I expected the weather to be nicer on the 2 sea days back to LA. The food was wonderful in the dining room - BUT the food in the windjammer NEVER CHANGED. It was the same every lunch and the same every breakfast. I was very disappointed in that. The dining room lunches were very good though... Overall I really enjoyed the cruise and the ship was nice.

The ports were fun. In Cabo we didn't go with the tour that rode horses on the beach, but we found a vendor at the dock and he hooked us up with the same vendor (Happy HOrses) but we had a private horse ride, with just the 4 of us for a cheaper price.... (My other sister had done this in the past and told us to do it - it was awesome).

In Puerto Vallerta, my dh went on the jungle canapy tour... I WISH I had done that. They brought a video home and it looked like so much fun. My sister and I went on the beach "tour" where we got to sit on the beach or in the pool area of a nice resort and hang out - that was nice too.

The sea days were really unenjoyable mostly because the ship is sailing so fast, it is cold on deck to begin with - and if the temperature isn't really hot out, it's freezing on deck. It was in the low 60s at best and very very windy.

If you want to see pictures from my cruise the link is below.

http://cjjsmith1.tripod.com/rc-cruise2005.html

I would love to know if you have any pictures of the oceanview rooms?

Okay, here are the links to the 128 photos I took on a tour of the Vision of the Seas. Click on any photo to make it bigger ...

The first 64 photos ... http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=92320

The last 64 photos ... http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=92451

We enjoyed our cruise on Vision with Captain George. However, I would prefer sailing the NCL Star because of its ten restaurant choices compared to Vision, which has only one dining room and one buffet. The Star also has a movie theater onboard. I also prefer the itinerary on the Star because it skips Mazatlan and adds Alcapulco and one other port that are much farther south than Puerto Vallarta and Cabo--giving more days of warm sunshine. Star is a larger newer ship with a better itinerary. Vision is an older ship with less options and fewer ports.

I've heard RCCL may replace Vision with Navigator. It will be interesting to see if that happens. I would probably still choose Star because of the itinerary with 8 nights of cruising instead of 7. I cruise NCL, RCCL, and Carnival and enjoy the variety. I don't mind the older ships on 3-4 day cruises but prefer newer ships for 7 or more days of cruising.

We enjoyed our cruise on Vision with Captain George. However, I would prefer sailing the NCL Star because of its ten restaurant choices compared to Vision, which has only one dining room and one buffet. The Star also has a movie theater onboard. I also prefer the itinerary on the Star because it skips Mazatlan and adds Alcapulco and one other port that are much farther south than Puerto Vallarta and Cabo--giving more days of warm sunshine. Star is a larger newer ship with a better itinerary. Vision is an older ship with less options and fewer ports.

I've heard RCCL may replace Vision with Navigator. It will be interesting to see if that happens. I would probably still choose Star because of the itinerary with 8 nights of cruising instead of 7. I cruise NCL, RCCL, and Carnival and enjoy the variety. I don't mind the older ships on 3-4 day cruises but prefer newer ships for 7 or more days of cruising.

I understand that the Navigator will replace the Vision in late 2007. I have been on the Vision and the Star. Currently the Star is having engine trouble and is only going as far south as PV. Then Mazatlan then Cabo. Based on what I heard, the Star's problem will not be fixed until March 2006.

Here is some info regarding the problems the Star is having ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260507#post5234191

• 5 months later...

We jsut got back from Mexican Riviera april 30 2005.It was a wonderful experience...the ship was very neat and well maintained,the dining was good,the Windjammer Cafe always has something you will like...choices are many...and the crew was very very friendly.

Our Grand Suite was superb,we enjoyed our balcony for most breakfasts and many afternoon sits and chats.

Boarding was a breeze...make sure you get your sea pass boarding pass.

Thank you to the crew and all the previous cruise criitic messages that helped us relax and just go have fun...

aye aye captain..

Hi all, we're thinking of booking the Vision cruise first week of November to Caba San Lucas / Puerto Vallerta, I've some questions if anyone out there can supply answers to please.

What weather can I generally expect during this time of the year?

What are the seas generally like - I can get seasick so have anyone experienced any bad problems with the seas around this area at this time of year. On the 2 sea days returning home do they run at full speed during the day or leave that just for the night hours?

I've been on the Radience - how does the Vision compare with the Radience.

What are the inside rooms like - anyone encounter any problems. I had a balcony on Radience but want to save some money on this one. I had an inside cabin on Carnival Miracle and had no problems with that.

Huge thanks for anyone who can help - can also get cruise on Carnival Triumph for around the same price - what's best?

We have just returned from the april 30th sailing and had a ball! We had a suite on the 8th deck and the only time we had a noise problem was the night of the pool side BBQ. I thought the raquet would NEVER stop, LOL! We were slightly dissapointed in the food (but obviously not that much as my dh gained 8 lbs). If anyone has questions, I'll be happy to answer:p

I was on the Vision during Christmas and New Years last year and also had a cabin on deck 8 under the pool. I never heard a thing - no deck chair noise - or anything. Deck 8 is a great deck!

we are thinking of doing a mexican riviera cruise during xmas - how was the weather?

Glad to hear such nice things about Vision. We are going on Vision for our next 2 cruises. Alaska in August and Mexico in February. We have been on Enchantment, Serenade, Voyager, Adventure, Navigator, Majesty, Splendor. So we are anxious to add Vision to our list.

Hi,

We are currently booked for the Feb., 4/07 cruise on The Vision. How will the weather be on the first sea day and then the sea days on the way back? Our other choice is to wait and go in Nov.,/07. Any suggestions??

Thanks.

Vanessa

Archived