St Thomas Scuba Diving Help Needed

cruzbound

Hi there,

I need some help - I believe I have narrowed my decision down to two dive operators and am not sure which one to make my final decision. Any opinions, experiences, thoughts would be appreciated. We are considering Aqua Marine and Aqua Action.

Thanks, cruzbound

I went to Coki Beach both times we were at St. Thomas. It was pretty good boat diving. The owner Pete of the Coki Beach Dive Club took me out both times, and there was only me as the diver. It was pretty good.

Coki Beach is also good for snorkeling, and they run a pretty good Intro scuba course, shore diving at the beach.

When are you going?

I spent some time in here this fall and considered the Coki Beach diving group and the Blue Island Diving people. Both had good recomendations. I ended up choosing Blue Island because they are at the same pier my ship comes in.

We are going in March. I did look at Blue Island Divers but since they are so close to the cruise terminal I was kind of dissuaded because I don't want a full boat full. I like the two I am looking at because one is kind of a ways away so they will probably have less divers (they said usually only 4 to 6) and the other one only takes a max of 6 divers.

So anyone out there with experience on either of these two operators - Aqua Marine or Aqua Action - please tell me about it.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I've been with Blue Island twice. The first time we had four divers, the second time we had six. Their boats aren't crowded. I haven't heard of the two operators you're looking at.

I agree, I have been with Blue Island and we only had 6 of us. I have never seen their boats crowded. I have also dove with Coki Dive Center and they do a nice job as well.

Dove with Coki Beach on Dec 26 2012. I see you're focused on other operators, woud encourage you to consider Coki because it's a very nice beach dive off of a nice beach. We saw a large variety of fish, corals, rays, and even a reef shark. Went in a group of 4. Good rental equipment, by the book divemaster (Michelle). Easy taxi ride to and from on a part of the island away from the crazy cruise terminal area. Whatever you choose hope you have a great trip.

We are going in March. I did look at Blue Island Divers but since they are so close to the cruise terminal I was kind of dissuaded because I don't want a full boat full. I like the two I am looking at because one is kind of a ways away so they will probably have less divers (they said usually only 4 to 6) and the other one only takes a max of 6 divers.

So anyone out there with experience on either of these two operators - Aqua Marine or Aqua Action - please tell me about it.

Thanks!

Whom ever you choose, I hope you will come back and tell us about it.

Dove with Coki Beach on Dec 26 2012. I see you're focused on other operators, woud encourage you to consider Coki because it's a very nice beach dive off of a nice beach. We saw a large variety of fish, corals, rays, and even a reef shark. Went in a group of 4. Good rental equipment, by the book divemaster (Michelle). Easy taxi ride to and from on a part of the island away from the crazy cruise terminal area. Whatever you choose hope you have a great trip.

I see you are from Milwaukee, did Michelle tell you she used to work at the Aquarium at Discovery World here in MKE? She's great, looking forward to diving with her again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

We dove with Aquamarine twice and enjoyed them both times we went. First time out we had 5 divers with two dive masters with us and had two great dives. Second time out it was just the wife and I as they said the other's had cancelled. We got to pick what we wanted to do which was great. I highly recommend them. Both times we meet them at the shop and they drove us to the dock.

I've been with Blue Island twice. The first time we had four divers, the second time we had six. Their boats aren't crowded. I haven't heard of the two operators you're looking at.

Does 4-6 divers seem like a good size for you? As you may remember from other threads, this will be my first open water dive since certification. I know you take a lot of pictures. Are you able to do so and still keep in touch with the group?

Yes, that's a good size for a group. A DM can easily handle four to six divers. But, I'm always allowed to go on my own with my buddy because we're experienced divers, so photography is no problem for me. We go very slowly when we dive.

However, if this is your first time diving since being certified, I highly recommend that you don't take a camera along. You will need to focus on the diving at first to be safe. I had more than 12 dives before I started doing photography and it took me a few more to be very comfortable handling everything.

Does 4-6 divers seem like a good size for you? As you may remember from other threads, this will be my first open water dive since certification. I know you take a lot of pictures. Are you able to do so and still keep in touch with the group?

I came to this post from an internet link, so I apologize about not knowing what trip your are on, or even what port. (I was looking at scuba diving in St. Thomas for my up coming cruse. You can all feel free to update on your dive related posts as I will be logging into Cruise Critic more frequently as my March 2 cruise date approaches.

Anyway, 4-6 is a very good size group. Not sure if your using the ship's excursion, or booking your own. Also, I highly agree with the other post (Lauri S) about not getting to involved with trying to take pictures. I have not dove in St. Thomas yet, but most of the Caribbean diving I have done has been fairly easy (barring rough sees). But still, considering your experience, I would also recommend you not take a camera. Its better to focus on your diving and just enjoy. Since you are a new diver, its likely you will have many more opportunities. As an avid picture taker, I am also speaking from experience. I too brought my camera on one my first dive after getting certified. Between buoyancy control, trying to take pictures, and trying to keep up with the group after trying to stop and take pictures, I quickly found myself getting task-loaded and smartly realized that I just needed to focus on my dive, which eventually went very well. Nonetheless, by the time the dive was over, I realized I really didn't see very much or enjoy the dive.

On my second dive, I dumped the camera, and just enjoyed the dive. It really made a difference. Instead of worrying about pictures, I was able to really focus on the dive experience and the things I was seeing. Even now, as a very experienced diver, I find myself just leaving my camera hooked to my gear (or on the boat) and enjoying the dive. I love taking pictures, but it is really a distraction from the pure enjoyment of diving.

On my second dive, I dumped the camera, and just enjoyed the dive. It really made a difference. Instead of worrying about pictures, I was able to really focus on the dive experience and the things I was seeing.

You and Laurie make good points. The logic is not lost on me. I am hyper safety conscious. I'm going on a 2 tank dive and may consider taking the camera along on one dive and not the other. I did go back into the pool in scuba gear last week to get use to using it and I will be sure to keep an eye on my surroundings. I'll talk it over with the DM on the boat as well. This is the start of their slow season. Maybe I'll be one of a very few and easier to manage.

I take my camera setup on every dive on a cruise because they're places I may not get back to again or soon. When I'm down in San Carlos, however, I'll give up the camera every now and then and it's such a sense of freedom to dive without it. It's heavy with a large strobe added on it, so I have to be conscious of it all the time when diving. It will drop like a rock if I let go of it, although it's tethered to my bc. I don't want to damage any coral so I keep a good grip on it.

How much time between dives? Any refreshments?

Our first dive was deep, my buddy and I were at 100+ feet, so we took an hour and so did the others, all new divers. The other two dives were shallower, probably 40 to 60 feet for us and I think we took another hour. Some of the SI was spent cruising to the next dive sites. They had cookies, fruit, and water. They may have had sodas, also, but I can't remember for sure.

We had plenty of time, even doing three dives, which allowed us to have a couple beers and some conch fritters at a restaurant near the ship.

Hi all,

So maybe you can all fill me in on St. Thomas. I'll be on Celebrity Summit, and was thinking about just booking with the ship. I'm sure there are some good dive operations there, but I usually don't end up taking the time to do the research. Are you all comfortable self-booking? Ever had any bad experiences booking outside the ship?

No problem at all booking privately, especially in St. Thomas. We've always returned on time, had great dives, and paid much less.

It seems you are OK with Blue Divers. I will be diving in three ports on this cruise (wahoo). St Thomas is our last port. (other diving ports are St. Croix, Virgin Islands and Roseau, Dominica). Was just planning on booking thru the ship, but think I will book privately in St. Thomas.

I've always been happy with the ship tours, but there was one time they didn't get enough people to sign-up, so they cancelled my excursion (I was the only one to sign-up). I made a very big stink about it, and the concierge made private arrangements for me (thank you), but they also made it clear that the ship bore no responsibility, and if I was late coming back, it would be my problem. Turns out the dive boat was late coming back (terrible traffic). The driver of the drop-off van was in constant contact with the dive operator about getting me back on time. There was a spot close to the port (still stuck in traffic), and they let me off and I ran the rest of the way (about a 1/4 mile) dive gear and all. Was looking like I was going to make it, but then customs wanted to look through all my dive gear. I let them know my boat was leaving and the supervisor waved me on. I ran the rest of the way and got to the ship, and as soon as I got across the gangway, it was pulled up behind me.

As I said the dive operation was extremely concerned about getting me back on time, and I did make it, but it was a very unnerving experience.

That is at least one benefit of using the ship's excursion, no worries if the operator is late getting you back.

The good part about Blue Island Divers is that if you're at the newer terminal, they are a 5-minute walk from the ship. They will pick you up on the dive boat, if you're at the older terminal, and drop you off.

I've only come close to being late three times while on a private diving excursion. Once was on Roatan when I went to Bananarama and their van caught on fire on the way back. The driver was in contact with the shop and he flagged down a local taxi for me. I got back with 40 minutes to spare, although I was nervous because I thought the ship was leaving a half hour earlier. LOL

The other time also was on Roatan with Subway Watersports when the driver didn't come back on time to pick us up. We got back with about 30 minutes to spare, but it was a long way back and we were rather nervous. It was my second time diving with them (and they are great!), and when the owner e-mailed me about how the trip went, I told her about the delay. She was shocked and very apologetic. He was instructed to pick us up at a certain time, and he was screwing off. I am guessing he probably was fired, and should have been.

The closest we came was on St. Lucia. We arrived back at the ship just on time. We were on a panga and a heavy rain slowed us down. They were untying the gangway as we got there, and we weren't the last ones to arrive.

Even with those three times, I wouldn't hesitate to do a private diving excursion. I've had several bad ship's diving excursions, with the exception of Belize when we went to Turneffe Atoll and in Nassau. Belize was good because they let my fiance and I dive on our own (he's an instructor and I'm a divemaster), and Nassau was good because the dives were awesome and it was a long way over there.

We booked with St. Thomas Diving Club for our upcoming cruise. First dive since certification for my kids, including a Junior diver.

Emails from them were wonderful and put to rest any fears I have of sending my kids off to dive!

Will post a review when we get back. Also diving in Samana and St. Martin.

• 2 months later...

However, if this is your first time diving since being certified, I highly recommend that you don't take a camera along. You will need to focus on the diving at first to be safe.

But still, considering your experience, I would also recommend you not take a camera. Its better to focus on your diving and just enjoy....Between buoyancy control, trying to take pictures, and trying to keep up with the group after trying to stop and take pictures, I quickly found myself getting task-loaded

You and Laurie make good points. The logic is not lost on me. I am hyper safety conscious. I'm going on a 2 tank dive and may consider taking the camera along on one dive and not the other. I did go back into the pool in scuba gear last week to get use to using it.

My experience with u/w photog while newly certified is about the same as Laurie and AJ. I spent so much time fiddling with my camera (and my rental gear) that I missed several of the things that others on the dives came back bragging about having seen.

Have you spent time snorkeling with your u/w camera? When you went to the pool did you take your camera as well and practice underwater with it? Are you going with an experienced buddy or will you be getting an unknown "insta-buddy"?

Maybe you could talk to your dive op, some will do videography for you for a fee. You could be in your own pictures/movies that way and not have to worry about the extra hassle of messing with your camera for your first few dives.

If you still decide to take your camera and are doing a 2 tank dive, my suggestion is to only take it down on the second dive. The first dive is almost always deeper thus battery life is drained faster (pressure and cold) as well as the red spectrum drops dramatically thus needing filters/strobes.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived