What to do for day in Miami after disembarking cruise???

hotlady29

Hello everyone.

Hoping that some Miami locals will be able to help me out here in giving me some tips on what to do for the day after disembarking cruise ship in the morning and having to wait until 8.30 pm for flight back to the UK.

We are thinking of going to the airport straight away and leaving cases etc in left luggage and then spending the remainder of the day away from the airport. The big question is what can we do and how do we do it. We were thinking of going on to the Dolphin Mall and doing some shopping as see that there is a bus shuttle there. However, again we really don't want to spend all day in the shopping mall.

Any suggestions??

Any info, local knowledge etc would be very much appreciated.

Elaine

However, again we really don't want to spend all day in the shopping mall.

Elaine

Hi Elaine.

If you go to the Dolphin Mall, you will end up being "marooned" there as there isn't much else to do in the area. So if you don't want to spend "all day in the shopping mall" then I wouldn't suggest it.

Not entirely sure what you would do about luggage. But perhaps a much better place to spend your day would be in South Beach. In SoBe you could shop the boutique stores and stroll around Lincoln Road Mall which is an outdoor pedestrian mall with many bars/cafes.

You can get from the airport to South Beach via public bus for $2.35 per person each way.

If this you don't like this, lists some of the things you like to do and I am sure we can come up with something for you.

Yogi

After you drop your luggage at MIA you can take the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach for $2.35 each -- people watching, art galleries, shopping, beach, drinks, lunch -- it is all there!

Here is a link to the bus information:

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

Good luck! :)

Would there be any hotels in SOBE that offer day rooms?

Hotlady is getting off the ship in POM I would think it is a waste of time & $$ to go all the way to the MIA then back to SOBE

I had mentioned to Hotlady on another thread about luggage storage at Bayside but cannot find that info now (of course):)

Lyn

Would there be any hotels in SOBE that offer day rooms?

Hotlady is getting off the ship in POM I would think it is a waste of time & $$ to go all the way to the MIA then back to SOBE

I had mentioned to Hotlady on another thread about luggage storage at Bayside but cannot find that info now (of course):)

Lyn

Im not aware of any hotels that offer day rooms in South Beach. From what I understand the luggage storage at Bayside is not really storage, its a luggage shop whose owner will watch your bags for a couple of dollars.

I'm not sure I would go all the way to the airport to store bags. I would check with the cruiseline and see if they offer a service that will check your bags from the ship to the airline.

Im not aware of any hotels that offer day rooms in South Beach. From what I understand the luggage storage at Bayside is not really storage, its a luggage shop whose owner will watch your bags for a couple of dollars.

I'm not sure I would go all the way to the airport to store bags. I would check with the cruiseline and see if they offer a service that will check your bags from the ship to the airline.

The cruise line does not do this

Thanks for the info on Bayside

Lyn

The advantages of storing your luggage at MIA, if the cruiline will not take them there are:

• It is a quick $24+tip cab ride from POM to MIA - your bags eventually need to get there
  • Luggage storage there is secure and inexpensive
  • it's easy to catch the airport flyer bus from MIA
  • It's easy to catch the airport flyer bus back to MIA (unless you've had too many Miami Vices :o)

Good luck! :)

Hi Elaine.

If you go to the Dolphin Mall, you will end up being "marooned" there as there isn't much else to do in the area. So if you don't want to spend "all day in the shopping mall" then I wouldn't suggest it.

Not entirely sure what you would do about luggage. But perhaps a much better place to spend your day would be in South Beach. In SoBe you could shop the boutique stores and stroll around Lincoln Road Mall which is an outdoor pedestrian mall with many bars/cafes.

You can get from the airport to South Beach via public bus for $2.35 per person each way.

If this you don't like this, lists some of the things you like to do and I am sure we can come up with something for you.

Yogi

Not to sure about boutique stores. Would possibly be looking for jeans or sneakers as they tend to last a dam sight longer from USA than they do from the UK. Obviously would quite like to spend the day drinking but then the airline wouldn't let us on to go home.

We check in to the Sofitel at Miami Airport through www.between9and5.com and then head out for the day and have somewhere to shower and change before heading back to the UK.

Okay thanks. Will have a look at that site. Have tried emailing Sofitel direct but no response from them.

Whereabouts do you go for the day? What type of transportation do you use?

Elaine

Not to sure about boutique stores. Would possibly be looking for jeans or sneakers as they tend to last a dam sight longer from USA than they do from the UK. Obviously would quite like to spend the day drinking but then the airline wouldn't let us on to go home.

You can get jeans and sneakers in Miami Beach, but they will be more expensive than Dolphin Mall. There is a Ross Dress for Less in Miami Beach that Mrs. Yogi likes to frequent.

There are other things to do in Dolphin Mall than shopping, there's a Dave and Busters, a movie theater, a really chic bowlling alley and a couple of resturants bars...it is feasible to spend a good part of the day there...I just think it would be a shame that you are here all day and miss Miami Beach.

Just trying to help you out :)

Yogi

Okay thanks. Will have a look at that site. Have tried emailing Sofitel direct but no response from them.

Whereabouts do you go for the day? What type of transportation do you use?

Elaine

The Concierge at the hotel will be able to suggest things to do for the day. He can arrange for you to be picked up and taken to wherever you want to go or he can suggest shopping malls or things of interest or you can even lie by the pool and catch some last minute sun if you haven't had enough in the Carribean! Youll never be stuck for something to do.

• 4 weeks later...
We check in to the Sofitel at Miami Airport through www.between9and5.com and then head out for the day and have somewhere to shower and change before heading back to the UK.

Lotus Girl you are a miracle!!!! We have gotten off cruises and been stranded many times. Have called several hotels for day passes and nothing was working. This is the coolest site EVER! We just booked a day pass at the Sofitel for cheap with free shuttle to airport, thank you!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Livabeth, we were there yesterday. It worked out great. We arrived at 9 and our room was ready. Very nice comfy queen beds and view overlooking the little bay. Bathrooms spacious with nice toiletries. The pool was very nice, comfy lounge chairs. The restaurant was pricey so we walked a few blocks to Subway for lunch. Checked out around 2:30 and hopped the free shuttle to the airport which literally was less than 5 minutes away. The staff was so accommodating too.

Archived