Just back from the Fiji to Tahiti cruise

Trend

The night we arrived in Tahiti there was a special show going on at the main square. This goes on the last night of each month of their summer, with dancers young and old, singers and many craft stalls, it was wonderful to see.

The next day we roamed the market and downtown stores then back to the ship for a very nice buffet lunch before departing for the Intercontinental. At the hotel we had to wait less than and an hour to get our rooms.

The departure on the Monday was fairly well coordinated but info could have been given out instead of the need to ask.

Good to hear about the Toilet Paper Mako! I have been wondering whether I should upgrade my PG Tips to include must bring: strong sunscreen, water shoes and toilet paper!!!

We were also on the cruise and I couldn't believe the poor quality of the tissues and toilet paper. I don't usually complain about things like this but it really wasn't nice. There was soft stuff in some washrooms but we didn't have it. We luckily didn't run out though.

I think PG had a few shortages with this sailing besides just toilet paper. The bars ran out of Chivas scotch and Patron Tequila a couple of days into the sailing. They only had a Savignon Blanc and Chardonnay for white wines until a couple of days prior to arrival in Tahiti.

They no longer serve lobster. I was told that FP has a rule in place now against importing lobster. Instead they offered a nice scallop and shrimp skewer. The last time we sailed a couple of years ago, my DH could get steak pretty much any night he wanted...not so anymore. The food was good but it did appear that there have been some cutbacks since the last time we sailed. Not sure if it's because there is a new Executive Chef on board since Grant has left or if it is corporate changes.

We did have a wonderful time on board. It was a great cruise even with the small items noted above.

So both chef's have left then? Mark Bishop and Grant?

Not good that quality of food is going down.

Did you request steak and did they then say no or was it just not on the menu?

The new chef will have his own menus no doubt and will want his own stamp on the cuisine but surprised if they dont allow a steak alternative if you want one. I shall ask this question both on the Tere Moana and the PG when I am on them in Dec/Jan. ( Yeah, the time is finally here).

Yes, it was a small menu especially in the Grill and we never used Veranda as the menu had heavy sauces or had the same offering as the Grill in terms of fish.

Food quality was good but small choice of offerings and did not rotate for 5 days. Main dining room offered some extra's but fish was the same throughout the ship. Deserts in Grill were the same for the entire cruise.

The Grill menu has always been small and the same for the cruise. I think even when we did the Fiji trip under Regent it didnt change. La Veranda had two menus - first and second week or was it every alternate day... cannot recall so many cruises and cruiselines later!

With regards to the steak, one night when we were in La Veranda, DH asked for a "big steak". They did have small fillets on the menu but he was hoping for a big rib eye or strip loin similar to what Grant would provide two years ago. He was told by the waiter that it was unavailable. The Maitre 'D then came over and said it was not possible but that they could give him several fillets. He also asked in the main dining room on another night and was unsuccessful with his request. I believe that if you ask with 24 hours notice they will try to accommodate you as we asked for escargot one evening after having it early in the cruise and they said that they couldn't accommodate our request but later the head waiter told us they could do it for us the following night. I'm not sure if this sailing itinerary impacted their ability to accommodate special requests.

I spoke with a few staff on board and they said that the Chef had 7 new chefs from India in the kitchen so it was keeping him very busy overseeing things. We really didn't see him mingling with the guests during the latter part of the dinner hour as we would see Grant. I did the galley tour and the Chef also said that a large delivery that they were supposed to get in Nadi, Fiji didn't arrive from the US in time so they had to set sail without it....luckily it was able to be sent by ground to our next port the following day in Fiji to meet the ship.

The menu is much smaller than last sailing but the food was all very tasty and if we wanted creme brulee every evening for dessert even if it wasn't on the menu that wasn't a problem but I believe Ryan, our waiter went to La Veranda to get them for us.

That is awful when provisions dont arrive - we had that problem once in south america and had lean pickings until our ship touched Chile where they loaded on plenty of fresh fish and fruit.

I will keep it in mind in terms of special orders. DH is a steak man though he would be quite happy with two fillets.

7 chefs from India ... that interesting for me especially. DH could have plenty of home cooking if he wants..... we usually have to special order Indian food on a long cruise. Hopefully the chefs will be totally at home by the time we get there. We had this Indian Chef in the french/continental restaurant in Azamara and the moment we mentioned missing Indian food at the end of a long trip he made us a complete Indian meal one night.

Was Miki your Maitre?

The Tere Moana menu lists New York steak available everyday - so maybe your situation with the fillet was just unusual. Given the ports it must have been hard to stock up and they had to make do in the meantime.

yes, I imagine it must be difficult to project requirements when away from the home port from so long. The Executive Chef also did say during the galley tour that they order approx 3 months ahead of time.

Even though they didn't have steak on the menu as an every night item, they did have lamb chops available for breakfast so I was happy. :D

We did have a great time but things that were mentioned were things that we noticed had changed. The toilet paper was the only thing that really was upsetting and several other people on our floor commented they to had the problem and as I said it happened to every women using the WC at the Grand the departure day. I would definitely return as I love the size of the ship and were it goes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived